Anyone else is forced to live with flies due to screaming?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2019, 9:41 am

So, I've always had a problem, for many years now... not flies, that isn't the biggest problem, humans are much peskier... in the kitchen I can open a window and let them fly away, but I can't in my bedroom (and no, don't suggest a psychopathic approach) because some years ago the very f*****g government of (what a surprise) selfish conservatives decided they wanted their children to play in front of my flat, and just in front even if they live two doors down... so, can't open a window, or my brain will be full of holes created from screams, and so I'm forced to live with flies, which as mentioned, at the very least, not noisy...

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 9:49 am

A $2 fly swatter from Target is the tool I'd use to get rid of flies.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 10:25 am

This is a bit of a catch-22 for me. I have the same problem with living on a noisy street, so much prefer to keep my windows closed. At the same time, my super-sensitive hearing makes the sound of things buzzing or fluttering around grate on my nerves something awful, and I hate the feeling that whatever it is might bump into me at any moment (moths are my most hated - they can be beautiful, and I don't really want to kill them, but I can't sleep in a room with a moth fluttering around.)

The only thing I can really do is to stop them getting in in the first place. For example, when I do open my windows, I have bits of net-curtain taped over the openings, like a mosquito net, so that things can't fly in.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 11:17 am

BTDT wrote:
A $2 fly swatter from Target is the tool I'd use to get rid of flies.

"don't suggest a psychopathic approach"

Anyway, he is likely someone like me who doesn't hate flies.

You can try some "Vegan" fly traps off the internet to some success, remove food and other items attracting them, you could try one of those kids bug vacuums and release them one at a time, or use a plastic bag to catch them.

The type of fly matters.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2019, 12:10 pm

Weirdness wrote:
So, I've always had a problem, for many years now... not flies, that isn't the biggest problem, humans are much peskier... in the kitchen I can open a window and let them fly away, but I can't in my bedroom (and no, don't suggest a psychopathic approach) because some years ago the very f*****g government of (what a surprise) selfish conservatives decided they wanted their children to play in front of my flat, and just in front even if they live two doors down... so, can't open a window, or my brain will be full of holes created from screams, and so I'm forced to live with flies, which as mentioned, at the very least, not noisy...

Wait until it has gone dark, switch a light on in a room other than the bedroom and leave the bedroom light off. Leave the doors open.

The fly might leave the room and head towards the light in the other room. Then shut the bedroom door.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 1:18 pm

This is the best thread title I've seen here...

I get it you don't want to swat/kill them? Use a tea towel or similar to chase them out of the bedroom and close the door (you could also use something like an over-ripe piece of fruit to try to attract them to another room). Don't keep the door open during the day.

Those window nets (for the windows you can open) are pretty effective too.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 May 2019, 10:41 am

harry12345 wrote:
Weirdness wrote:

Wait until it has gone dark, switch a light on in a room other than the bedroom and leave the bedroom light off. Leave the doors open.

The fly might leave the room and head towards the light in the other room. Then shut the bedroom door.

Mine is similar. Wait until dusk (some light outside), turn out all indoor lights, open window for 5 minutes. They should all go outside. Then shut window fast.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 10:45 am

You should let spiders hang out inside your house. That's what I do!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 11:12 am

I don't have a fly problem as I have cats that eat flies but if I can get to them first I catch them and let them out ( the flys not the cats )

You deffo need one of these

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 1:04 pm

There is a simple solution to controlling fly populations. It is known as a Fly Ribbon Trap. It is very inexpensive and very effective. These have been around for a long time. We used them 65 years ago and these traps are still around today. Just tack it onto the ceiling and pull down the tube which unwraps the ribbon inside the tube and let it hang there. The flies periodically land and when they land on the trap, they are stuck forever.

This link will show you what they look like.

Sticky Fly Ribbons

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 1:32 pm

A humane fly trap? As in it catches flies without harming them and you release them outdoors? When I was young it was swat, smash, squish, spray, and do whatever you could to send the disease-ridden buggers to fly heaven. Now we are trapping our vermin alive and unharmed to be released where they can fly off and possibly spread pestilence to some other poor slob. But maybe we'll get lucky and the flies will just get eaten by frogs or spiders.

Hey, I know! That's what we should be doing to disease-causing bacteria! They're alive, so we shouldn't be trying to kill them even when they're making many people really sick and killing them. Let salmonella, bacterial meningitis, staph and TB run free!! :D

Flies were even once used as a biological weapon in WWII. It's like animal "rights" activists are trying to make me feel sorry for a bunch serial killers.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 1:36 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
A humane fly trap? As in it catches flies without harming them and you release them outdoors? When I was young it was swat, smash, squish, spray, and do whatever you could to send the disease-ridden buggers to fly heaven. Now we are trapping our vermin alive and unharmed to be released where they can fly off and possibly spread pestilence to some other poor slob. But maybe we'll get lucky and the flies will just get eaten by frogs or spiders.

Hey, I know! That's what we should be doing to disease-causing bacteria! They're alive, so we shouldn't be trying to kill them even when they're making many people really sick and killing them. Let salmonella, bacterial meningitis, staph and TB run free!! :D

Flies were even once used as a biological weapon in WWII. It's like animal "rights" activists are trying to make me feel sorry for a bunch serial killers.

If I cannot swat and kill antivaxxers who are choosing to spread plague, my adorable flies who didn't choose to spread illness must be left be.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 1:42 pm

^^ It's your choice what to do with the flies once caught.

If you want to pull off their wings and legs one by one be my guest :twisted:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 2:09 pm

"Do not kill a single fly; for then a hundred more will come to its funeral." -- Russian Proverb

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 4:12 pm

^ Legend has it that the Roman poet Virgil payed approx $1.6 million ( equivalent to today's money ) for the funeral of his pet fly.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 8:49 pm

Flies dislike the smells of lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, cloves, mint, camphor, marigolds, cinnamon, and basil. (There may be others) You can pick a scent or multiple and have them around except for where you'll be having them exit. Once you think most are out you can have the scent everywhere and it should help keep anymore from wanting to come in.

The scent does have to be noticeable, like where you walk in and go "oh peppermint!" (Or whatever you choose). So certainly choose something or a combination you like the smell of.

There are various ways you can get these into the air, the plants themselves, oil diffusers, plug in aroma things, sprays, a potpourri thing for a couple, a wax warmer for the camphor... What you choose will dictate the best way to spread the scent.

You could also get some Venus fly traps. Yes the flies are killed but it's a purposeful death, circle of life lol

I have no idea how to get rid of the brats outside of somewhat psycho ideas :D