Do you type or write better than you speak?

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 9:31 am

People think they can take advantage of me because of the way I speak----more than they think I'm actually "stupid."

It is pretty frustrating....and I have to use "augmented" argumentation skills sometimes.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 9:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
People think they can take advantage of me because of the way I speak----more than they think I'm actually "stupid."

It is pretty frustrating....and I have to use "augmented" argumentation skills sometimes.

What do you mean by augmented argumentation skills?

The other day I did a BIG favor for an acquaintance, and then the acquaintance thanked me (in a condescending tone) and my mom (laying emphasis on my mom) because I guess she didn’t think I was capable of doing what I did on my own even though it was an area that I have lots of knowledge in.

My parents might be encouraging this sort of thing because it makes them and me look better in a way.

That was way off topic, but it’s hard to give firm examples of exactly what I’m talking about.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 9:59 am

I find that for deeper inner feelings, I can type things online easier then I can speak them when in an official place.... I mean... For example, at a doctor. I often clam up and leave without having discussed what I went in for as I go into a type of default stage of reverting to genuine issues but they are not what I went in to see about. (I don't have a clue if I have a mild form of asperges or not and it took me two years to actually ask as every appointment I was brave enough to attempt I would clam up and default settings took over! I eventually was determined to ask and brought my mum along... Me, a 47 year old man! Just having my mum there I was able to ask in a round about way. I didn't say a lot when the doctor asked me for symptoms as I then clammed up. I was so shocked that I asked I was shivering leaving the doctors room and going out the surgery even though the day wasn't cold. The doctor said she would refer me but she didn't think I would be accepted. I found I was accepted. I am nurvous as it is said to be a 14 month wait. I only wanted a yes or no answer. I have twice tried an online test. The first time was due to dating a lady with asperges (She asked me out) where someone else thought I had it and I doubted it was possible as I don't get the same issues like meltdowns etc... and the results came up 50/50 but said I should see a doctor. Then someone I know was diagnosed after he was rescued from a suicide attempt. (This may have been just before the lady I was dating for a short while. A beautifully hearted lady. I ended it as I felt I loved her far more as a friend, though I have lost that friendship too).
Then about a week ago I decided to try a test again as I was looking online to try to fathom out if I do have it or not and I had a score of 41 out of 50. They said 32 was the boarderline? This still does not mean I am on the spectrum at all. It maybe more of my naturally shy and withdrawn character.
I feel guilty that I am going to be assessed, and nurvous. Guilty as I really want to trace energy loss symptoms and it is one of the last few possibilities which it could be as everything else doctors could think of I believe have been checked. I often feel "How can I feel this bad when no one else sees it or understands?" (It looks like I am so lazy as I get sudden energy loss just when someone decides they want to do something and I am not ready to do it, like lift something heavy).
I am wrestling with myself to see if I should cancel the appointment so someone else can get assessed who may really need it. Though in a way I need to know so I can rule it out (Or understand it if I am on the spectrum) and go back to searching for possible allergies which either seem to come and go or may not be there at all. I also seem to pick up viruses and colds etc which is a real pain as if my throat is already closing up, it leaves me often needing to stand outside at night in any weather just to breathe as my nose closes up as well when it is bad. (I also tend to pass out if I ever go sick and need my airways clearing. My mum gets this, and I have had to rescue her in the past).

Sorry for the long story... Grr. I have gone off on tangents again...

Back to the origional question which I have had to look at agin as I forgotton what it is! Yes. For deep things and for anything to assist my memory, I do need to typw or write things down, as in a public situation where I may be nurvous I do clam up and can talk garbage... I once had an entire conversation with a trains manager where I once worked, and I left the room and didn't have a clue what I had said or what the whole conversation was about! It was when I fojnd the shifts had caught up with me and I was tired and numb.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 10:08 am

My handwriting is less than average. My typing speed is slow . However expressing things online is far easier for me than a face to face conversation where a quick response is required.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 10:09 am

Basically, I dot my "i's," and cross my "t's." I speak in a "composed" manner. I avoid colloquialisms.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 11:07 am

I think that typing or writing is a lot easier for me than speaking, and maybe a more accurate way of expressing myself. Although lately I haven't really been able to do either.
I still think that with my writing there's a kind of disconnect, though. Like I can't necessarily guarantee that what I write is what I mean (or something), and have almost no idea how the other person is going to feel about it.
A few times, before I knew anything about ASD and since, I've seriously considered carrying a little chalkboard or something and refusing to speak.
Speaking almost always creates misunderstandings for me, and most of the time I never get a chance to recover.
My handwriting is really nice when I pay attention to it, I was really interested in calligraphy when I was younger. I'd rather write by hand than type, and I'd rather type on an actual keyboard than a smartphone.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 1:16 pm

Often I do, because it gives me time to compose my thoughts and think of what to say.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:12 pm

I have to say though that for me, as I have no issues in this regards, it is only when I am nurvous I clam up and to be honest, my mind goes blank so in a way my last answer is not quite the whole picture as if I clam up I don't think I could write. It does not happen often that I clam up, but does happen sometimes if I go to visit my doctor or I would attempt signing on or a job interview etc. Sometimes I am in a determined mood and come accross in a straightforward, polite and official form. I believe it is only the last few years I clam up, but years ago as a child and up to my very late teens I was very quiet and shy. Very withdrawn except when at home.
Sometimes in my life I have been good at dealing with people. I feel these days that my body needs a recharge and that every day rhat seems to present itself as a free day is soon gobbled up by well intentioned people who want to visit and try to get me involved in things they are doing. It is that their concept of what I need is totally different to the rest I feel I need, and so I find it hard to get the chance to relax to recharge. For example, this morning to afternoon I took my mum to a meeting and then we went shopping (I stayed in the car while shopping and went for a walk when she was in the meeting.. A walk I really enjoyed as I walked to shady tall trees and was amazed at the trees and plants and a squirrel, birds and other things... I felt alive!) But tomorrow the morning my brother is bringing a group of people up to visit and in the evening he is bringing some of my other brothers children up to visit... He is a very social person and I tend to be more of a person who though does not want to be alone, would prefer a quiet day exploring etc, away from fuss and crowded areas.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:40 pm

Good question!

Sometimes writing (usually typing) abilities are better than speaking abilities esp. if I have time to anticipate what it is I want or need to express! I sometimes sense that expressing both printed, and spoken words seems to pivot off of one another!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 4:03 pm

With typing one has time to think and correct mistakes. I think this is a good thing.
I realize that some can't speak or have great difficulty to speak. If I had some magic key to help I would certainly use it.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2019, 4:22 pm

The reverse for me. I speak just fine, but my writing...it needs work to say the least.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 7:42 pm

Definitely.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 7:48 pm

Depends.
I commonly struggle with or lose speech, but when I can talk I can talk fairly well. Sometimes when my speech is bad I'll also get really bad tremors and typing gets hard. So it's inconsistent.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 2:52 am

Yes, for me.

I speak OK, in that people don't generally notice any problem (though it often seems to me that I'm having difficulty expressing myself properly).

My writing is very good, and in written format I can communicate far more nuanced and complex ideas than I could ever express to someone verbally.

I think I subconsciously view myself as semi-verbal when in fact my speech is pretty normal - the only problem is that it doesn't reflect my level of intelligence. A bit frustrating, but nothing to complain about when so many are truly semi-verbal or non-verbal.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2019, 4:45 am

Certain people have been baffled when I sent them a message in writing or text, because I come across as being more confident and articulate than I do in person.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 12:45 am

Yes. When I type or write I have more time to think about it, what I want to say and how I want to say it. In person I tend to feel more pressured to speak and not spend so much time considering. My mind and mouth also fall out of sync sometimes. I may know what I want to say but because I'm rushing what comes out my mouth might be all messed up. Sentences and words will get scrambled, or I might fuse words (start saying one then finish with another). These things don't happen so much in written or type and if they do I can fix it before hitting that "send" button.