Adult ASD diagnosis &PTSD overlap -resources, articles etc?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 11:03 am

Amity wrote:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
Amity wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Autism, usually, is exclusively a neurological disorder that you’re born with. Environment could play a role in the exacerbation of it.

Obviously, you are not born with PTSD. Though, even womb conditions might play a role in it. It’s 100% caused by environmental factors, though you might be born with the predisposition toward reacting to stressors in a PTSD way.

Perhaps, one could react in a autistic way because of PTSD. Or react in a PTSD way because of autism. It’s hard to tell the difference.

My mum was told that she had miscarried my twin in the first trimester and was prescribed bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy, for fear i would miscarry too. She is a highy anxious person and ive often thought about the stress hormones she shared with me before i was born.

My year and half old brother died of bronchial pneumonia when my mother was five and half months pregnant with my embodiment, and I know and have read of others with AS whose mothers who had been traumatically effected / affected during pregnancy.

So in gestational sense we developed through a PTSD experience, and later environmentally went on to have our own experience or experiences with PTSD ourselves.

Mine was nearly dying (near death experience session in the 'light') aged three, having seizures thereafter, and getting bullied and having severe breakdowns at school (with my my first psychological diagnosis being Psychopathic or Schizotypal Personality Disorder aged twelve).

Good job and best explanation for my special interest being metaphysics and psychology methinks! :wink:

I'm still learning about the role of the autonomic nervous system in PTSD, stored physical memories of trauma and such.
I could only relate to parts of PTSD until recently, like Startrekkers response i knew logically that I was not in danger, but my body could not tell the difference and was reliving the memories.
Im reading sections of this dissertation at the moment, it's answering questions that I hadn't quite formulated yet.
Braeken, M. A. K. A. (2014). Psychological functioning and the autonomic nervous system during pregnancy: Impact on mother and child. Heverlee: PROCOPIA.

Basically your body was (or is when traumatic flashbacks occur) dealing with an experiential 'fragmentation', as involves a 'complex' of data-streams ~ rather than one system of information, and hence the sensory data is only by degree rather than by extent getting wholly processed due to the overload of the extra data-streams. It is like in essence trying to understand with one language what takes two or more languages to comprehend.

In that you report being aware that you were not in clear and present danger when you were having or when you do have PTSD flashback/s, mindful deep-and-gentle pelvic breathing can be quite useful in terms of understanding the second or further languages ~ in order to process more fully and thereby diminish the intensity of post traumatic sensory onslaughts.

The basic theme is to imagine that your heart is your mouth and that your pelvis holds your lungs, and as you sit, stand or walk about ~ imagine that your feet suck energetically to the floor as you breath in and up from the centre of the earth, and that you root energetically to the centre of the earth as you breath bodily out and down through your feet. Flexing your toes and feet whilst sat or stood still is recommended also.

It is important to practice deep-and-gentle pelvic breathing when you are calm in order to apply it more and more when you are stressed or having traumatic flashbacks. Doing it first thing in the morning, and last thing at night are usually found to be most helpful to begin or continue on with. Doing this twenty-four-seven is referred to as conscious breathing.

The objective is in essence to surf the waves of one’s trauma rather than to get pulled under or dragged along by them.

If any that may be of some assistance to you (or anybody else) possibly?

Also, in Braeken's dissertation, she mentioned at least on two occasions that DNA is 'programmed', when it is 'conditioned' in nature.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 5:38 pm

Deepthought 7 wrote:
Amity wrote:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
Amity wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Autism, usually, is exclusively a neurological disorder that you’re born with. Environment could play a role in the exacerbation of it.

Obviously, you are not born with PTSD. Though, even womb conditions might play a role in it. It’s 100% caused by environmental factors, though you might be born with the predisposition toward reacting to stressors in a PTSD way.

Perhaps, one could react in a autistic way because of PTSD. Or react in a PTSD way because of autism. It’s hard to tell the difference.

My mum was told that she had miscarried my twin in the first trimester and was prescribed bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy, for fear i would miscarry too. She is a highy anxious person and ive often thought about the stress hormones she shared with me before i was born.

My year and half old brother died of bronchial pneumonia when my mother was five and half months pregnant with my embodiment, and I know and have read of others with AS whose mothers who had been traumatically effected / affected during pregnancy.

So in gestational sense we developed through a PTSD experience, and later environmentally went on to have our own experience or experiences with PTSD ourselves.

Mine was nearly dying (near death experience session in the 'light') aged three, having seizures thereafter, and getting bullied and having severe breakdowns at school (with my my first psychological diagnosis being Psychopathic or Schizotypal Personality Disorder aged twelve).

Good job and best explanation for my special interest being metaphysics and psychology methinks! :wink:

I'm still learning about the role of the autonomic nervous system in PTSD, stored physical memories of trauma and such.
I could only relate to parts of PTSD until recently, like Startrekkers response i knew logically that I was not in danger, but my body could not tell the difference and was reliving the memories.
Im reading sections of this dissertation at the moment, it's answering questions that I hadn't quite formulated yet.
Braeken, M. A. K. A. (2014). Psychological functioning and the autonomic nervous system during pregnancy: Impact on mother and child. Heverlee: PROCOPIA.

Basically your body was (or is when traumatic flashbacks occur) dealing with an experiential 'fragmentation', as involves a 'complex' of data-streams ~ rather than one system of information, and hence the sensory data is only by degree rather than by extent getting wholly processed due to the overload of the extra data-streams. It is like in essence trying to understand with one language what takes two or more languages to comprehend.

In that you report being aware that you were not in clear and present danger when you were having or when you do have PTSD flashback/s, mindful deep-and-gentle pelvic breathing can be quite useful in terms of understanding the second or further languages ~ in order to process more fully and thereby diminish the intensity of post traumatic sensory onslaughts.

The basic theme is to imagine that your heart is your mouth and that your pelvis holds your lungs, and as you sit, stand or walk about ~ imagine that your feet suck energetically to the floor as you breath in and up from the centre of the earth, and that you root energetically to the centre of the earth as you breath bodily out and down through your feet. Flexing your toes and feet whilst sat or stood still is recommended also.

It is important to practice deep-and-gentle pelvic breathing when you are calm in order to apply it more and more when you are stressed or having traumatic flashbacks. Doing it first thing in the morning, and last thing at night are usually found to be most helpful to begin or continue on with. Doing this twenty-four-seven is referred to as conscious breathing.

The objective is in essence to surf the waves of one’s trauma rather than to get pulled under or dragged along by them.

If any that may be of some assistance to you (or anybody else) possibly?

Also, in Braeken's dissertation, she mentioned at least on two occasions that DNA is 'programmed', when it is 'conditioned' in nature.

As with all the replies, I appreciate the time you took to reply Deepthought and the attention to detail too, thank you. After the traumatic events I had flashbacks, but thankfully enough time has passed for the experience to ease back to body memories only, triggered it seems by just about anything remotely resembling a threat. At the time low cost talk therapy helped as best it could, considering the other complex issues I was dealing with.
I have some experiences that I've yet to deal with, one memory in particular seems to be locked away from my reach, for safekeeping till I'm ready I guess. I know it happened but I've no access to it.

B19 used to speak a lot about the mind body connection, but I wasn't in a place where I could actually process it until recently. Its weird that I could know the term interconnectedness in relation to body systems and understand it, but at the same time not really applying it to me. On a side note I do hope B19 is well, she hasn't posted in a while.

Its funny, I had also forgotten how to breath deeply... I decided to return to yoga after reading your post, found an on going class nearby that I can join :D.

On that note, to share a video for anyone else that's forgotten how to breath as we were designed to.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2020, 3:27 am

I have yet to read the whole thread but a lot of my therapy was all about telling apart mental illness (CPTSD, dissociative disorders, depresion, anxiety, etc.) from my neurology (ASD and HSP, likely dyspraxia too).
They are interwined, often showing similar symptoms but there are fundamental differences in ways to get better with them. I've gone a long way of healing a lot of my mental illnesses (not all yet but really a lot) while my neurology is just me, nothing to heal, it needs acceptance and strategies to function in spite of difficulties.

Sometimes it does not matter - when you are agitated you need to relax, when you are tired you need to rest, no matter what caused it. But in the long run of my therapy, I find my ASD and CPTSD fundamentally different.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2020, 5:18 am

Thank you Magz, that's very helpful. I'm trying to sort that stuff out right now and this is a perspective I hadn't considered, but makes a ton of sense.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:52 pm

I have severe PTSD which comes from how I am treated by others because I am Autistic.

Wreck It Ralph

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 4:02 am

Yes the two are interconnected for many, one is hard wired and the other is treatable.

I dont want to live this short life being prisoner in my mind to the actions of others, I want to be healthy and as well as I can be, to live as authentically as possible, coexisting with the consequences of the past.

That's why for me pulling the two apart is key.