I booked a cruise, and I'm not sure how to feel.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 4:10 pm

If you remember my posts from 2012, I talked extensively about my concerns about a cruise. Before going, I was terrified of being bullied or harassed by other passengers, and being mistaken for a criminal by the ship's security guards. I came up with contingency plans of debarking early and flying home. I even had nightmares about the cruise. None of it happened. Quite the opposite: I had the best time. Everyone I met was so friendly! Girls flirted with me quite physically, and guys treated me as a respected equal. Everything was filled with a childlike sense of awe and wonder: from seeing my ship for the first time, to walking into a synagogue in a Caribbean port. And the moving ship rocked me to sleep in less than 5 minutes.

In 2013, I posted very little, after incidents in my threads the year before, which I'd rather not bring up. I think I posted only after the cruise, about how I acted like a college spring breaker in ports of call. Unlike the first time around, I had no fears of bullying or harassment whatsoever. The people I met were like the year before. I still felt the same sense of wonder, with just enough familiarity. And like the year before, I feel asleep in minutes, while being rocked by the ship.

Well, now, I have another cruise booked in a couple months, and honestly, I'm not sure how to feel! First off, I'm a completely different person than how I was 7 years ago. I'm older, wiser, and more jaded. While I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, I really feel like I lost my childlike sense of wonder, that made me enjoy my previous cruises as much as I did. So I doubt I'll enjoy this cruise the same way, even though both the ship and the ports of call will be new to me (but same cruise line: Carnival). On the other hand, I got better at talking to women, which means dancing with them isn't the only thing I'm aiming for. ;)

So what does everyone have to say? I'll refrain from asking for words of consolation, since I can handle it mostly in my own. But how do I cope with worrying that I won't enjoy a wonderful experience, because I lost my aspie sense of wonder I once had? The very sense my peers lost a decade prior. Like, not being wowed by the idea that the whole ship is my oyster. Any input will be welcomed.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 6:08 pm

Maybe it will come back the minute you step on board the ship. A cruise is a really magical thing, nothing on land can recreate that kind of feeling. I'm thinking and hoping that you'll be like a kid, all over again. Have fun and don't stand near the railings. If you fall overboard, chances are they'll never know and you'll be eaten by sharks. 8O

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 10:37 pm

I hope you're right. I remember the first time I got on the ship. I was gawking at absolutely EVERYTHING: from the soaring ceiling in the lobby to the elegantly plated dinner. An older couple I shared a large table with found my reaction interesting. I also remember gazing at the night sky with a girl I met; unfortunately, the ship's lights drowned out most stars. I don't know if I'll have the same reaction now, being too old and jaded; 7 years ago, I never imagined feeling that way in a million years. I'm just glad I first experienced cruising when I was still young enough to have a childlike sense of wonder; I feel like an old man now.

Oh, and cruise lines have an excellent search and rescue system, in case someone falls overboard. Most railings are at the stomach or chest level, so in order to fall overboard, you have to actually want to. The minute a "man overboard!" announcement is made, one of the lifeboats will be lowered to pull that person in. And most officers and some crew members have training in rescuing people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 11:52 pm

Just think about all the freedom that you will be able to enjoy on the ship.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 1:23 am

Aspie1 wrote:
I hope you're right. I remember the first time I got on the ship. I was gawking at absolutely EVERYTHING: from the soaring ceiling in the lobby to the elegantly plated dinner. An older couple I shared a large table with found my reaction interesting. I also remember gazing at the night sky with a girl I met; unfortunately, the ship's lights drowned out most stars. I don't know if I'll have the same reaction now, being too old and jaded; 7 years ago, I never imagined feeling that way in a million years. I'm just glad I first experienced cruising when I was still young enough to have a childlike sense of wonder; I feel like an old man now.

Oh, and cruise lines have an excellent search and rescue system, in case someone falls overboard. Most railings are at the stomach or chest level, so in order to fall overboard, you have to actually want to. The minute a "man overboard!" announcement is made, one of the lifeboats will be lowered to pull that person in. And most officers and some crew members have training in rescuing people.

That's good to know about the search and rescue thing!

You'll have to let us know how it went and if you were totally unimpressed, or if you got super happy when you walked aboard.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 6:47 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Just think about all the freedom that you will be able to enjoy on the ship.

Persephone29 wrote:
You'll have to let us know how it went and if you were totally unimpressed, or if you got super happy when you walked aboard.

That's true. In real life, wandering around an area aimlessly by yourself can quickly get you harassed by local youths. (Well, at least when you're young yourself; if you're in your 30's and up, you'll be dismissed as a weird old dude/lady.) And wandering is commonly enjoyed by aspies. So, bam! conflict of interest. Plus, when I did my previous cruises, I was floored by how wandering aimlessly around the ship wasn't only given a pass, but celebrated. Which I did plenty.

My cruise isn't for another couple months. But sure, I'll come back and share my impressions of it. I'm not saying I'll hate it (like I was worried the very first time around). I'm saying that I might be apathetic about the whole thing, even though I picked the ship and the itinerary very strategically.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 7:58 am

Where are you going?

To be honest, I wouldn’t try to find a mate on a cruise. I wouldn’t be successful. It’s not my successful milieu in that sense.

I would just enjoy the solitude, the ports of call, the sea air.

Do you have a balcony?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 8:30 am

I'd be worried about getting sick. I've heard the risk of food borne illnesses on a cruise ship is very high. I also don't like the idea of being with a bunch of strangers. If I went with people I already know, that would be different.

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2019, 10:52 am

In these situations, I find it helpful to just focus on enjoying myself, and in turn try to refrain from passing judgement on myself.

You are going on a vacation to get away from the stress of daily life. You are on a ship specifically to get away and not be distracted by anything else.

I recommend just following your natural inclinations. Sleep to your hearts content, drink fruity cocktails by the ship's pool, eat way too much good food, wander around the ports of call... If you feel like doing something (assuming no one else is impacted), just do it without much thought. If you aren't enjoying something, move on with equally little thought.

One thing that might help is to do a little research about the boat itself and the ports of call in advance. You can also probably find a schedule of events on the boat. If it suits you, try to find 1-3 things that interest you each day. Don't be afraid to skip anything you pre-panned if you're not feeling it, but knowing what/when you want to do in advance can help you look forward to it and ease some anxiety.

My motto on vacation is: time enjoyed is never time wasted.

Last edited by TheOther on 01 Jul 2019, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 10:53 am

Aspie1 wrote:
But how do I cope with worrying that I won't enjoy a wonderful experience, because I lost my aspie sense of wonder I once had? The very sense my peers lost a decade prior. Like, not being wowed by the idea that the whole ship is my oyster. Any input will be welcomed.

The sheer novelty of it all may be gone, but you can still enjoy the cruise in other ways, can't you? I would suggest focusing on those aspects of the cruise that you know you can and will enjoy, e.g. the friendliness of at least some of the people, rather than worrying about the possible loss of some of the other ways you enjoyed it.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2019, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Where are you going?
Do you have a balcony?
I'm going to Mexican Rivera. I don't have a balcony; I have an inside. Which is cruise-speak for a windowless interior room. It's going to suck, but I got it real cheap, and the cabin TV has a bow camera channel, so I'll have a fake window on the TV screen. Meh, I'll manage. A balcony would have cost twice the price, and I prefer to hang out on the lively Lido deck, anyway.

IstominFan wrote:
I'd be worried about getting sick. I've heard the risk of food borne illnesses on a cruise ship is very high. I also don't like the idea of being with a bunch of strangers. If I went with people I already know, that would be different.
I never got sick on a cruise. I went solo twice before, and had a blast each time. I was able to meet people, make friends, initiate conversations, and find women to dance with, all with no trouble at all. I doubt this time will be much different.

Mona Pereth wrote:
The sheer novelty of it all may be gone, but you can still enjoy the cruise in other ways, can't you? I would suggest focusing on those aspects of the cruise that you know you can and will enjoy, e.g. the friendliness of at least some of the people, rather than worrying about the possible loss of some of the other ways you enjoyed it.
I hope I can. I'll just miss the childlike sense of wonder I felt on my last two cruises, my first cruise in particular. What's even weirder is that no one criticized me for acting giddy and eager about everything.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2019, 4:34 pm

Well, my cruise is about a month away, and I'm still stuck in an apathy state. I want it to happen, and a part of me doesn't care. At least I sent in all the payments on time. All that's left now is shopping and airport taxi reservations.

This is a far cry from my previous cruises in 2012 and 2013, when I was excited about them for months, and even kept seeing ships in my dreams. Now, some of those dreams were actually nightmares, about being on a dark, derelict ship, with dirt and broken glass everywhere. But I was still excited. This year, not so much. :(

Maybe this means I'm officially old. And I'm not even 40 yet. I take my Effexor daily, which works wonders for keeping out of depression, but I can't get myself excited about the cruise.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

I took Effexor and it caused hallucinations, I really reacted badly to it. I only had nasty dreams while taking it.That may be the cause of your bad dreams. I weaned myself off it and normal dreams again.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 8:46 pm

Teach51 wrote:
I took Effexor and it caused hallucinations, I really reacted badly to it. I only had nasty dreams while taking it.That may be the cause of your bad dreams. I weaned myself off it and normal dreams again.

The nightmares happened in 2012, before my first cruise. I had a few weird cruise-related dreams in 2013, but no actual nightmares. I started taking Effexor this year, so there is no connection. In fact, when I first started taking it, I had MASSIVE euphoria. No nightmares, no hallucinations. When I did have nightmares, it was sporadic and unrelated, because they happened months after I started taking the medication.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2019, 12:56 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

The nightmares happened in 2012, before my first cruise. I had a few weird cruise-related dreams in 2013, but no actual nightmares. I started taking Effexor this year, so there is no connection. In fact, when I first started taking it, I had MASSIVE euphoria. No nightmares, no hallucinations. When I did have nightmares, it was sporadic and unrelated, because they happened months after I started taking the medication.

Glad it's working for you :D Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 10:42 am

Teach51 wrote:
Glad it's working for you :D Hope you enjoy your cruise.
I hope I enjoy it too. I just wish I wasn't so apathetic about it. I'm definitely bringing my Effexor onto the ship. In the original prescription bottle, of course.