For those of you who are employed, what do you do?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 8:41 am

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 9:07 am

What I do: I am a scientist

Job title: Postdoctoral research associate

Responsibilities: Primarily research but I instruct a course occasionally

Hours: It varies widely from week to week. This week I worked 91 hours. When I'm not in the field it's more like a 40 hour week, but if I leave early or arrive late or work from home no one gets upset so long as I get my work done and don't miss a meeting.

Past places I've worked: 3 other R1 universities, a museum, a pet shop, a church (as a musician)

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 11:47 am

Broadcast Engineer

Fix It, Modify it, line it up so it gives best performance, occasionally design and build it, Brief users how to use it, (at 0400 or so on night shifts) help users out of the traps for the unwary which lurk in it as if designed especially to catch people out at that unearthly time of day, Inspect and test it for electrical safety, advise at the times something appears beyond economic repair, occasionally redesign and rebuild because the manufacturer made a Complete hash of the job, know Which computer in a chain to attack with Control-Alt-Delete to get service back rather than bring everything crashing down in a heap.....

Plus also a trade union rep

Worked for the same organisation for the last 34 years, but making some moves around (it is a big organsiation).

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 1:23 pm

Fnord wrote:

This with a slightly different title. I hope you're in a less psychopathic industry than I am :mrgreen:

I worked since I was 14. A lot of manual labour, construction work etc to put a roof over my head. Some nicer jobs like bartender and proof-reader while studying to become an engineer. Took it from there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 1:34 pm

I work in the transportation industry as a systems engineer (CCTV, computers, electronics, et cetera).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 2:08 pm

Nice and useful :thumright:

Can't say the same about the entertainment industry...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 2:11 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
... Can't say the same about the entertainment industry...

GACH! :eew:

Civic Theatre was bad enough! I never want to answer another Hollyweird "cattle call" again!

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 2:26 pm

I am a qualified Judo / Self defence instructor. Teach only a few mates at mo. More for fun.

Also have a BA in Sound Technology (sound engineering) and have been into writing / producing my own and others music since i was 18. with some time off for various reasons.

I used to work in basic IT roles etc.

presently working on own music projects in my own (small) project studio, and learning to create my own electronic / Internet of Things devices, to work with computers.

Much of my work unpaid.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 2:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
... Can't say the same about the entertainment industry...

GACH! :eew:

I hear you :lol: It gets even worse once you get to see how the sausage is made...

And I still have to listen to people raving how cool it must be to make video games :roll:

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2019, 3:32 pm

I am an archivist. My job involves assessing and organising records, selecting material for preservation and providing access to records. The types of records I come across can be all sorts of things: letters, diaries, government documents, sound and video recordings, digital files and maps just to name a few.

I currently work for an archives service based in a local library where they hold records relevant to my part of London. I work 4-5 days a week depending on my shift pattern.

I've worked for various organisations in the public sector mostly, but not always, in an archives or records management capacity.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:24 pm

I was technically an Executive Assistant in a rather small place.
With all-around roles. From cleaner and errands person, to secretary and advisor. Along with those, I did a lot of data entry, graphics designing, computer troubleshooter, did arts and craftworks mainly for yearly events, somewhat some tutorials and literal baby sitting.

Usually for over 10+hrs a day, 5 days a week. It depends whether or not I have to go to work at weekends as well.
For almost 4 years now.

I quit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2019, 5:46 pm

I used to be a research scientist (microbiologist) worked in a number of universities around the Australian/Asian region. But the constant search for grants mean't I strategically switched tack to make myself more attractive to the higher education workforce.

I'm now an education policy/education design consultant (I basically created this title before offering my services). Get ongoing work but always on contract but I don't mind.

For me being flexible has been useful for the job market and school drop off :lol: