What the **** is wrong with this site?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:14 pm

Anytime I start a super important topic, I press submit and it says the page can't be displayed and it loses everything I just wrote. I cannot even begin to express how angry that makes me

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

skibum wrote:
Anytime I start a super important topic, I press submit and it says the page can't be displayed and it loses everything I just wrote. I cannot even begin to express how angry that makes me

:(

When I write a long post, I try to remember to highlight and copy it before submitting, just in case it gets lost. If it gets lost I just have to hit "paste" to retrieve it. Sometimes back page will work too.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 7:21 pm

Yes, thank you :D I keep forgetting to do that but I will have to remember from now on. I will rewrite the post if I can remember how I wrote it. Actually this post will be of great interest to you Isabella

Wreck It Ralph

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 6:48 am

I have had that happen to me a couple of times recently. It's really annoying.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 4:38 pm

Sometimes I even save it to a text file if it's going to be a long post. It's pretty easy to accidentally wipe the clipboard and lose your "Ctrl+C" contents too... at least for me.

Other times I get lucky and can hit the browser "back" button and get all the text back from before I attempted to submit it.

WP survival skills. :ninja: :wink:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 4:52 pm

I wish they would just fix it. I am stressed enough right now.

Wreck It Ralph

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2019, 1:44 am

I feel for you - I had that happen a lot in the past, about six months ago and I wanted to pull my hair out. What was happening then was the timed auto-logout would sign me out of WrongPlanet very frequently and if I wrote a long, thoughtful post and clicked 'submit' it would sometimes direct me to sign back in and lose my post or it would just take me back to the topic and lose everything without even asking me to sign in. Lately the timed log-out doesn't even seem to happen - I can come back after days of being away from the site and I'm still logged in (which isn't a problem for me). It wasn't predictable so like the other posters I started to always save my post in the copy-paste buffer before I clicked 'submit'...

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 5:08 am

skibum wrote:
I wish they would just fix it. I am stressed enough right now.

Sometimes you can still press the back button of your browser in this cases and save your work as long as it's still in the history of webpages. This did work for me a couple of times. But don't ever login again before you done this.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 5:10 am

skibum wrote:

That happened a number of years ago to me.
Thankfully I don't experience it any longer.
Could it be a browser issue?

As has been mentioned: Copy and paste into "WordPad" or the like before posting like I used to do.
Or try another browser.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 12:20 am

That would p**s me off too! As others have suggested, try writing your comments in a wordpad/notepad app then copy and paste it into wrongplanet in case it doesn't submit. Then you can just keep trying.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jun 2019, 9:41 pm

I'm having that problem but similar losses and obstructions with everything else, so I thought it was my server. As a matter of fact, sometimes it tells me I'm off-line for 30 whole seconds (enough to lose everything). Yes, save, save, save. Maybe I should put Text as an icon to remind me.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 1:41 am

I've noticed this site getting more and more hateful and unhelpful over the years. I rarely get on anymore due to it. My questions rarely ever get answered but everyone else's on random topics seem to get answered. I just started posting on a Facebook form excursively for autistic adult women.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 2:14 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've noticed this site getting more and more hateful and unhelpful over the years. I rarely get on anymore due to it. My questions rarely ever get answered but everyone else's on random topics seem to get answered. I just started posting on a Facebook form excursively for autistic adult women.

I could overlook the elephant in the room but it isn't my style.
This thread is about the problem of losing posts because of server issues.

I'm surprised you feel the way you do.
I was under the impression women here got a lot of support.
A lot of people do feel as though they are overlooked if that is any solace.

Hope you fine the support you need.

AndyBeans
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2019, 3:05 am

It's a problem with older and less complicated sites, the solution usually requires a lot of work and expense. Sessions timing out used to be a norm across the internet. I advise writing longer posts in a word processor or regularly saving drafts.