Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 11:29 pm

Recent went to a chiropractor. It was beneficial but didn't find it too meaningful but can definitely understand it being helpful when in real deal musclo-skeletal pain. I wasn't--I asked for a posture focus not the least b/c I don't know what's done in chiropracty--still thankful for lessons learned.

This was done in a place where I visited once for massage therapy, called 'Athlete's Care Sports Medicine Centre'--to 'put it plainly' there was a 'jock' vibe from the fit/more-or-less my age/late 20 something chiropractor. This is a responsible, knowledgable person--but does that change how my 'judgement' is of an attitude and 'vibe' which has 'historically' made me uncomfortable '_' .

Sure I can shoehorn gender perceptions/expectations, toxic masculinity and who/how you like to socialize whensoever you muster the authentic energy..sure, I can shoehorn how in terms of psychology it seems to center around identities built around competitive expectations (a personal bane).

I feel stupid/silly at my age for still feeling uncomfortable/fearful/with so much reservation towards such a 'vibe'..does anyone know what I'm talking about?.

Purposely not giving into craving to look up more/ponder on it more as it would be questionable self-pressuring procrastination.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 9:49 am

The athletes with this aggressive mentality practice bad sportsmanship and are lousy to their fans. I like people such as Federer, Nadal and Istomin because they are gracious to their opponents and friendly to their fans. Andy Roddick was a jerk. If I had to name the player I liked least among the top players, it would be Roddick. Djokovic can be a bit of a glad-handing politician, which turns me off and Murray was cold and distant.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 3:56 pm

Unless there was more than a "vibe" as you say, I think this is more a problem on your end. When in need of help with musculo-skeletal issues, you turn to the people with knowledge of musculo-skeletal issues. Many such people are really, really passionate about fitness. Sure, I've known gym-dudes who are exactly as dumb as they sound. But they, in my experience, don't really have the focus nor the good-will to want to actually help others with it professionally, and some more serious fitness-people I've asked for help in the past have been overjoyed to share their knowledge and were exceedingly helpful.

In summary; I think its unfair to judge him based on this "vibe" simply because you associate it with other people who belong to the same exceedingly large subculture and who have made you uncomfortable in the past.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2019, 6:38 pm

It's normal for the brain to be on edge when picking up something that's been harmful in the past; it's kind of a survival instinct. If you've been around that type/vibe of people that've given you trouble before, that would make it an understandable/expected reaction.

As you mentioned that they're a responsible,knowledgeable person, it seems like you're understanding that it's your reaction, not necessarily the situation itself. As in a "it's not all of them;they're not all bad!" type of thing.

As the other posters said, if you need to go to it to help your body/health, you need to go to the professional with knowledge/ability. If you'd keep going and kept having good experiences, probably some of the vibes and "on-edgeness" would wear off.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 8:04 pm

My first week on the track team and I tore an Achilles tendon. My coach told me to "walk it off" all the way back to the locker room. It's why I walk with a limp over 40 years later.

During recovery, the rest of the team harassed me for being weak, accused me of malingering, and told me that if I was a real man I would not have been hurt in the first place -- real men don't get hurt, nor do they admit or show it when they do get hurt, right?

:roll: Wrong.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 8:24 pm

My problem with jock mentality in high school included the locker room environment. I get it, we change, we shower. Do it, get it done, move on and go to the next class. The real stereotypical jocks seemed to love being naked together. They would stand around in the locker room naked talking and joking. I remember one standing naked next to the bench putting his other foot up on the bench and putting his hand behind his back arching his back like he was posing like some sort of sculpture holding that while he talked. I thought it was a bit much. I couldn't help but wonder of some if those hard core jocks were maybe closet homosexuals who would trash homosexuals but secretly were. Kind of like that character of the dad in that movie American Beauty.

Last edited by Magna on 25 Jun 2019, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 8:44 pm

I have a prejudice against jocks. I’ve known some seemingly decent jocks, though.

When an athlete has a certain amount of success, there’s often a high ego that accompanies it (as with politicians and celebrities). They feel like they can get away with stuff that others can’t.

It’s not good when people perceive themselves as having a fair amount of power. Jocks need to have strong families with strong morals to keep them decent.

This is, of course, a sweeping generalization based only on my own experience.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 8:52 pm

To me, it is just a more intimate variety of enthusiasm for high performance. Bike racers are fussy about their bodies (I once saw four athletes return from an unfamiliar grocery store, empty handed and hungry, exclaiming "Five Thousand Kinds of FAT!") but they also fuss over their bikes in ways that are not too different from car racers.