Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bobby005
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2021, 11:14 pm

Hello, I have thought that because of some issues with memorization and remembering things I may have a mild learning disorder, but I don’t think it would be severe because, for example, I can only remember some details of a book I just read for example, at first, then I can only recall a few other details if someone else tells me something about them. Later on I mostly forget exactly what it was. It’s weird. I suspect ADHD or ADD but I’m not sure. Does anybody else feel that way?

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 11:39 pm

It might just be that you process information differently, so maybe you're not the type who learns well from reading a textbook. I find it's also easier to retain information on a subject of interest as well, so that could be part of it. Sensory processing might also impact learning too.

FYI, I have a BA, and I rarely read the textbooks for courses I took, largely because that's not how I learn best, but also because I found it wasn't actually mandatory 95% of the time (though I still wasted countless dollars on those things in case I was in one of those 5% courses). I can force myself to sit and read through a long text, but I just don't like doing that. I also find I can only study for so long before I just stop retaining information, so I have to space it out.

It may sound like a bloody miracle that I passed university, but let me tell you the most important thing I learned, which is how I learn best. I found I often retain information best if I'm in a lecture and interacting with the prof by asking questions (something that's sadly fallen by the wayside in COVID times, but I'm sure will be a thing again after this year). I also used to take extensive notes in class, as that really helped me study effectively to maximize my retention for the times when I would study.

I also found after a while that I could coast more and more as many courses rehash information I already know, so even the extensive note taking wasn't as necessary after a while. :roll: I also found I had a knack for writing essays, even though I found them tedious and had to overcome frequent writer's block.

In all seriousness though, you should learn what your learning style is. It will significantly cut down on the amount of effort it takes to learn, and you will actually learn more. You will test better too, and do better on assignments, which will translate into better grades, not that those matter once you graduate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 6:04 am

I can’t tell based on what you wrote.

This sort of thing happens to me. I’m not learning disabled. I find that term to be sort of a misnomer, anyway.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 6:29 am

TRoss has some great advice. I could not learn and retain in classrooms when I was small because I have visual and audio processing deficits. I did not do well in school until I could read an assignment and I learned to take notes. Once I write something down or read it, I can process it. Discovering the way I learn best helped me a lot, long before I knew I was autistic or learned through neurological testing at age 68 that I only have 35th percentile audio processing and 25th percentile visual processing. So much made sense then! I never knew!! ! No wonder I have always felt "lost" in person to person or group interactions. Most of it is lost between the hearing and seeing and never reaches my mental filing system. Who knew?
It means I can do almost nothing in "real time" or watch movies, listen to podcasts, lectures, plays, videos, etc because I miss so much due to my processing struggles. If you are not learning by reading, consider looking for audio books, instructive videos, maybe videos of the class lectures, etc etc... You might need to enlist a student aide or other help, many newer tools are available to help those of us with neurological processing issues.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2021, 6:31 am

I don’t benefit from lectures, either. I benefit from reading books. My precise memorization skills are poor.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 8:31 am

I do better with things written down that I can read and reread .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 12:59 am

I benefit the most by watching videos.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 12:39 pm

What even constitutes having a learning disability anyway??? I didn't get a proper diagnosis until after I graduated high school but they still dumped me in special ed. Whether or not I was even supposed to be there is another story but oh well.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 12:58 pm

No, that's called being normal. A.K.A statistically average and commonplace. If you haven't noticed. Most people see to display "mild learning difficulties." completely normal.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 7:24 pm

autisticelders wrote:
TRoss has some great advice. I could not learn and retain in classrooms when I was small because I have visual and audio processing deficits. I did not do well in school until I could read an assignment and I learned to take notes. Once I write something down or read it, I can process it. Discovering the way I learn best helped me a lot, long before I knew I was autistic or learned through neurological testing at age 68 that I only have 35th percentile audio processing and 25th percentile visual processing. So much made sense then! I never knew!! ! No wonder I have always felt "lost" in person to person or group interactions. Most of it is lost between the hearing and seeing and never reaches my mental filing system. Who knew?
It means I can do almost nothing in "real time" or watch movies, listen to podcasts, lectures, plays, videos, etc because I miss so much due to my processing struggles

I’m the same way, I have sooo much trouble processing things too, when I’m with someone face to face & they talking to me, it feels like they talking too fast for me & I end up starting in space or starting at wall, my mind just shut off, it was overload, I guess, it was really hurting my head. I’m this way with tv shows, I have to go back, I have to rewind it. I sometimes watch the same movies, cuz they are sequels, I can forget what happened. I’m watching Manifest, I have to watch it again, it coming back, but it will be a year from the last season. I can remember some things. I was in special ed until my senior year in high school, I wanted to try regular classes, big mistake, I did take some regular classes during school. I have Cerebral Pasly & Learning Disability too.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2021, 8:56 pm

Technically, yes, that is actually considered a learning disability. If you are still in school, you might want to try to get accommodations for it. I believe it is called "working memory", mine's pretty bad, as I am in the 85%, whereas my niece is... 95% 8O She can't remember "shucks" :?

DIVAIR

Iphone31966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2021, 9:27 pm

"learning disability". Who invented the label? Someone invented the label. Someone with a learning disability invented label "learning disability". Psychiatry is a scam. People invent labels to cover up their own disabilities.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 8:50 pm

Iphone31966 wrote:
"learning disability". Who invented the label? Someone invented the label. Someone with a learning disability invented label "learning disability". Psychiatry is a scam. People invent labels to cover up their own disabilities.

The term "learning disability" was coined by Samuel Kirk in 1963. See the relevant history here and here.

Where do you get your info that Kirk himself had a learning disability? (And which specific learning disability do you think he had?) And why do you think the purpose of his conference paper had anything to do with covering anything up?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 5:05 am

Nearly everyone with autism has some sort of official “learning disorder” of some sort, not to be confused with “intellectual disorder” which effects only some.

This is because of the ways our minds work and the system of learning is nearly always tailored to NTs.

The good news is unlike when I grew up there’s a wealth of online tools and other things to assist learning.

YouTube is a great source for example. There’s huge amounts of material and unlike a teacher you can play the lesson over and over again in your own time until you get it

- George Bernie Shaw

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 6:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t benefit from lectures, either. I benefit from reading books. My precise memorization skills are poor.

I never went to any lectures. I know in classes at school it was hard to write things down due to my poor and slow handwriting.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2021, 6:52 am

I read very slowly, but I remember everything!
Due to the slow reading and unability to skim texts, I learned everything from spoken lessons in school. I have a good memory for things being said too.
During my assessment, I found out that my working memory is quite poor, but it shows more with calculating math than reading.

/Mats