Anyone with lots of Autism in their family?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2019, 10:51 pm

None at all.

Like the cheese, I stand alone.

caterina99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2019, 10:40 am

I'm the only one diagnosed with Autism in my family, but I strongly suspect both my father and my grandmother (surprisingly, on my mother's side) may be on the spectrum. Also, my younger brother is showing mild asperger traits that may qualify for a diagnosis.
So yes, autism runs in my family from both sides, apparently.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2020, 8:32 am

My dad has quite a bit of traits of ASD, as well as my Uncle who is his older brother. I have been told that my grandpa has some ASD traits too, and I suppose I can see it.

My sister isn't Autistic, but she has some executive functioning difficulties.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 3:58 am

As I have become more familiar with Autism and its traits, I have realised that its features are found in many places in my family.

I realised over the last year eye contact is not something my mother does.

Both parents had intense interests (music) which they were able to make into their careers.

Feedback about my mother I received recently was that she doesn't seem to understand other people.

In student days my father was happiest in a corner of the common room working on harmony and counterpoint exercises.

The friend who supplied a report for my assessment observed that I can be quite coercive when I want something to happen. It seems my mother could be as well, over grandchildren, and this had led to trnsipns abd brother and his wife having to manage the situation very carefully.

Two or three in the next generation work with ypung children, and are observed to do well and connect with the ones who are on the spectrum somewhere. My motjers cousin also wonders as a result if the spectrum runs in the family.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 4:17 am

My father has quite a few similar traits to me according to my stepdaughter . I can't say I've noticed . He's had a fair amount of friends . Did OK career wise(diplomatic equivalent of 1 star general) .

zenaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2020, 7:35 am

Yes, two cousins diagnosed, one is more severe and the other is a pure genius.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 7:40 am

My paternal uncle had ASD & Learning Disabilities. My eldest grandson (13) is currently undergoing another screening. My aunt says that he reminds her of me when I was his age. One of my other grandsons (8) will probably need to be assessed at some point.

The family that I married into (third time lucky) has three diagnosed AS and another couple suspected. As a matter of interest my wifes previous husband has AS. I get on quite well with him.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 3:23 pm

My Mum just mentioned about an elderly relation who would sit in the corner. She had done that for years. It was in the days before anyone had a television. She would sit in the corner. She did not say anything. As a child, my Mum asked her mother how long she had sat in the corner and her Mum said "She has always sat in the corner". So my Mum knew her as the relative who sat in the corner.
If I am on the spectrum, both my Mum and her Mum would also be on the spectrum and the lady that sat in the corner was also on her side of the family. Do you think she could have been on the spectrum? The lady who sat in the corner?
It reminds me of how I was as a child for the first few years of being in school. I would stand in the corner and just watch. I did not want to play. I just would stand there for the entire time. It would frighten me if some were playing football and the football came my way as I would have lots of kids running towards me. I wanted to go in to one of the older yards by myself but I was not allowed to, so I stood in the corner by myself of the yard I was allowed in. I tried to stand so I was half way in and out of the schoolyard so I could avoid others if anyone approached me but I was told off for standing there and told to move. So I found another place to stand. They did not like me standing there so they tried to move me, but when I was not there in the corner one kid would bully me so I preferred to stand in the corner by myself. I did not like school.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 4:23 pm

Kids had to "stand in the corner" as a punishment.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 4:42 pm

That was in the classroom. I was very quiet in the classroom and hardly spoke.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2020, 4:49 pm

Well, my dad thinks one of my uncles miht be autistic my step-brother is autistic (no blood relation though) and my brother is autistic. I do have alot of adhd in my family though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 7:36 am

There are a few relatives of mine that have high-functioning autism (Asperger's or BAP), but they aren't immediate relatives. There doesn't seem to be any LFA. But anxiety and depression is very common on my mum's side of the family. Nobody else but me has ADHD.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 7:53 am

Once I learned about AS presentation in brilliant women, my mother’s life story suddenly made sense. As this knowledge shone a light on my life, so it did for me in understanding her. She has long since passed away. I have so much compassion for her now. I wish I could have shown her that compassion when she was still alive.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 8:58 am

There are a few "eccentrics" in my family, especially on my father's side; maybe they were Aspergian, maybe they were not. One of my third cousins was a 'hippie" way before the time of the hippies. He was a modern artist. His children and grandchildren are quite "normal," though they have creative interests.

One of my great aunts was into the occult quite a bit. There's musical talent on my father's side---though I have none.

I don't know of anybody on my mother's side beyond my maternal grandmother. My maternal grandmother was very much an NT. My mother is NT, but with psychological issues. My brother is an NT.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:28 am

Hard to say, I don't really think so. On my mom's side, I have two autistic cousins but they are both adopted and not blood-relatives. My dad is somewhat distant from his family so I really don't know much about anybody there. It is widely believed among the family though that my father has undiagnosed ADHD. There is definitely a lot of history on my mom's side of the family of different anxiety disorders and depression.

My Tumblr

troublesomeTome
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2020, 1:59 pm

i'm the only one diagnosed, but i suspect my mom and her dad both have it! i think my dad might have ADHD too but he has his own bag of mental illnesses i inherited. i don't know any of my cousins, so no clue there.