Could loneliness ever be solved in a prison?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Weirdness
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2019, 1:13 am

I was once so irrational due to extreme loneliness that I thought this might be a possible solution, since the average in society is everyone in isolated units... then I got used to the loneliness inevitably, suppose six years passing after a relationship is enough time too... and, sure, I saw the irrationality in my thinking, because regardless of a decrease in loneliness, there would inevitably be more 'sensory torture' than I've probably ever experienced, and over the years I keep hearing how violent they can be too, which did much to banish any such inclinations ever again, but... I hear of Norwegian prisons specifically, and I swear they have even better living conditions than I have on my own. So, would it still be irrational over there? Possibly, but I'm not sure... not like I care much about loneliness anymore specifically at any rate, must be some sort of biochemistry that balances itself out over time, but could there be a situation where civilian life is worse, at least in comparison to a specific environment?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 2:22 am

Absolutely!

The best cure for loneliness is to commit a felony so you can have the privilege of joining one of the many exclusive social clubs in America known as "penitentiaries".

You might even find …."romance"...prison style (you start out as a "tight end", and end up as a "wide receiver").

Sarcasm.

No. That is not a solution.

Even if you luck out and end up in a soft "white color" type prison and don't end up a victim of violence by fellow inmates, and get to hang with a good class of sleazeball, you would still have the same problems socializing that you would have in the world outside of prison.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:24 am

for folks like us without the social graces genes, the only solution is to learn to love the reflection in the mirror, warts and all.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 3:46 am

Not in my estimation, but I can see the lure.

I used to be fascinated by the series, 'Lock-Up RAW.' I would even fall asleep to it.

It was at a particularly low time in my life when I just didn't know what to do with myself. I thought it would be easier if I had rules, someone always there to tell me what to do next, mandatory cell time, etc... In a word: structure. But, keep in mind that other prisoners don't pay attention to personal space. They love invading it. Once they find out something irritates you, or that you have a weakness, they do it even more. So, you'd get plenty of attention. It's just that none of it would be good.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 7:22 am

I have read accounts of people who spent time in prisons. One universal complaint was the noise and lights all the time. That would drive me crazy in short time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 7:56 am

Prison is like being in Basic Training—but without the hard work and with a higher potential for violence.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 8:04 am

Weirdness wrote:
Could loneliness ever be solved in a prison?
While it could, there is no reason why it should. People are sent to prison to isolate them from the rest of us, both for our protection and for their punishment. Prison is not intended to be a vacation at a social club, it is supposed to be stark, harsh, cold and unfriendly -- nothing more than what convicted criminals deserve.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 9:35 am

Naturalplastic said it best. I don't think this is a cure, unless you want the wrong kind of attention.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:45 am

Autistic people often end up in solitary confinement as so to be less work to the staff.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:48 am

The food really sucks in prison...…

Why not just build a cabin in the woods, get off the "grid," buy food in "general stores." Do what hermits usually do. If you're cool with me, I'm cool with you.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm

I've thankfully never been in prison or even jail, but I've been in homes and the psychiatric ward at the hospital where I was always surrounded by other people and it was horrible. The darkest, lowest times of my whole life. I am so thankful that I now have my own apartment where I be myself and be in control of my environment with some support from my parents. But I'm always afraid of having that taken away fro me again. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 5:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Prison is like being in Basic Training—but without the hard work and with a higher potential for violence.

basic training felt just like prison.