Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 7:05 am

I don't know why but I am not looking forward to my birthday because I seem to think its abnormal for most people to still live with parents at 30 and feel this self imposed pressure and requirement to leave when I can't afford a house of my own, a flat etc. I even feel envious other people in their 20s because it feels quite normal to stay and have more time to enjoy it. I feel like the only one and I get sick and tired of some people telling other people its not right. My parents don't do everything for me, I clean, I tidy, make and change the bed, hoover up, do the washing, pay rent etc (I need to work more on cooking though).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 7:30 am

I understand how you feel. I don't think many people like turning 30. But don't feel ashamed of yourself for living with your parents, it's becoming rather common these days in the UK. I have an NT cousin who will be 30 next year and she has never moved out of her parents house before, and she doesn't have a boyfriend either. She said she doesn't want to be 30 next year.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 9:06 am

I hope I don't dishearten anyone with this post, but I will be 55 in November and any resemblance between myself and a normal person that age is virtually nonexistent. Yes, I am more fortunate than some. I have been at my current workplace for seventeen years, but recently failed an interview to advance. I have a driver's license, a car, many and varied social activities and am living a pretty good life now. However, I still live at home, don't have a full time job and, as yet, no man has ever shown an interest in me. The things I want to do seem laughable to a lot of people (go to a tennis tournament, interview Denis Istomin and write his biography, for one) or seem hopelessly out of my reach. If I had been normal, I would have taught English or been in a helping profession. I wonder if my goal of helping others will ever come to pass and, along with that, help myself become fully independent.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 2:23 pm

I wish I could be middle aged, so I wouldn't be associated with my generation, and so that I might find mature, like-minded people to associate with. Frankly, mine is the generation that never grew up, and unless this changes with time, I don't expect to ever be able to get married, for there will be no women TO marry.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:28 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
I wish I could be middle aged, so I wouldn't be associated with my generation, and so that I might find mature, like-minded people to associate with. Frankly, mine is the generation that never grew up, and unless this changes with time, I don't expect to ever be able to get married, for there will be no women TO marry.

But 30 isn't middle age though and I don't know why people think it is.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:43 pm

No, I'd say the cutoff for middle-age is forty, so if it's good to be forty, then it follows that you still have good years ahead of you at thirty. That was my point.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:50 pm

Someone once told me that middle age begins the moment you can date someone half your age without the risk of arrest, and old age begins at twice that.

So maybe … 36 to 72 … ?

:shrug:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Someone once told me that middle age begins the moment you can date someone half your age without the risk of arrest, and old age begins at twice that.

So maybe … 36 to 72 … ?

Ha ha, that's how I usually explain my face blindness: most people look somewhere between 20 something and 70 something to me?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 5:19 pm

Fnord wrote:

So maybe … 36 to 72 … ?

I believe middle age starts somewhere in the mid to late 30s. Old age is a complicated one though. I'd say old age starts at 70, but there are some laws where people in their 60s or even 50s can pass as "seniors". In the UK people get their senior bus pass at 60, but some of the old people's homes allow people as young as 55. I know some people in their 50s can get dementia, but I still think 55 seems too young to be put in an old people's home, as most of the residents will be elderly. People in their 50s/early 60s with dementia or Parkinson's should be classed as having a neurological disability and put into care homes that are for disabled adults under 65 or at least 60. I mean, that's what they'd do if an even younger person got dementia.