Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 9:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
People who live in the city sometimes need space in their SUV's in order to bring home something like wood and other things from Home Depot or some place like that.

Or they might have a big family, and have to pack their suitcases in the SUV should they come visit.

No, that's just the excuse. Home Depot could provide loaner trailers, or deliver themselves. Roof racks work wonders. There should be a network of neighbourhood co-ops so that changing vehicles is no more time consuming than stopping at a convenience store on the way to the big loads. People who would be perfectly well served by a tiny, low-range electric spend huge sums to maintain the option of crossing the continent with friends at a moment's notice. I used to handle that by riding a bike and borrowing cars.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2019, 9:32 am

There I am minding my own business doing exactly 70mph (satnav accurate) in the inside lane and someone comes screaming up the outside lane at 75mph. There is no one behind me, no one in front of me.... except the burke who has just gone past, who has pulled in front of me and is now doing precisely 69mph....... :roll:

--Car/Caravan combinations and big lorries who over take on a two lane road at 60mph..... :roll: :roll:
--Tailgaters
--People who drive at a constant speed that bears no relation to the speed limit.
--People who think a red light means it is still OK to proceed if you can see it has turned red whilst still a quarter of a mile away from the line..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2019, 9:42 am

Dear_one wrote:
The day the 1st Gulf war broke, I switched from sporty driving up to 10% over the speed limit to super-economy driving at 10% under. It is actually more fun. I once drove a mile with the engine off, staying no more than a car length from where I'd have been under power. Now, I only drive the limit if I am blocking commercial traffic, and then I make the pass easy.
So, I'm reminded of my real pet peeve, wasteful driving that kills the climate. There is no good excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than it's payload, or to be unstreamlined. There's no excuse for trailer ramps to be set to catch wind. There is no excuse for SUVs that seldom leave the city, or seats that are not used frequently. There's no excuse for keeping several vehicles instead of renting the oddballs occasionally. There's no need for cars that can accelerate faster than 5-ton trucks, or for anyone to accelerate toward a red light.

Almost everything I see on the road is a big slap in the face from the fat cats, proving that people can be made to work very hard just to obey advertising and tinker with their image. Even the roads, parking lots and expressways themselves have been imposed on us by sabotage to public transit and economical zoning. It costs me less than $200 PA in parts and depreciation for reliable, economical, unfashionable cars. Even Uber has become another source of extra miles as a cheap taxi service, instead of actually sharing rides like electronic hitchiking.

There is also a lot of unnecessary gridlock. I once worked on the ceiling of a building downtown, and had to rest my neck frequently. This had me looking down at a normal city intersection, and maybe half the time it was blocked by people who could have gotten out of the way. Expressways are notorious for stop and go traffic even from high speed, and it has been shown that just a small percentage of drivers consciously smoothing out those ripples can prevent them.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2019, 9:44 am

@Dear_one [quote above - forum is throwing a wobbler again and won't let me quote and type message......]

Do you have "Smart Motorways" in the USA? They are capable of having variable speed limits to ease conjestion. The idea is that it forces everyone to do a reduced speed and stops overtaking. Everyone has to proceed in single file (across multiple lanes).

We are not supposed to undertake (pass on the left [right in the US]), but I think you allow that over there don't you?

Running redlights is becoming more prevalent here too. Sometimes three or more cars will go through the red.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 3:35 pm

We don't have that sort of thing----adapted speed limits----in the US.

It is legal to pass on the right----but it's something that's not recommended. Especially if you're passing a truck.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:14 pm

^^ There are a few places where a lane changes direction with the time of day. There are also a few on-ramps that limit the incoming traffic with long red lights and short greens. I am impressed with the drivers in California who manage to drive safely at far less than the recommended following distance.
What I'd really like to see is a system with "travelling" lights beside on-ramps and the adjacent lane. The system would sense gaps in the traffic, and set the ramp lights so that driving beside the green one would get you up to speed to fit in. On the main road, a travelling caution light at the current traffic speed would help open the gap.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:40 pm

Lanes "changing direction" during rush hour happens once in a while----but not often.

Yes, we have traffic lights on the highway ramps which usually only operate during rush hour.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:55 pm

Driving in Portland

People not knowing how to merge or yield.

People using turn signals too soon. I can't tell if they pulling into the parking lot or going up to the next block or intersection.

Tailgators

Slow drivers

Blocking intersections

Speeders

Weaving

Cutting me off

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 8:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People who live in the city sometimes need space in their SUV's in order to bring home something like wood and other things from Home Depot or some place like that.

Or they might have a big family, and have to pack their suitcases in the SUV should they come visit.

I moved up from a sedan to a SUV because of a bad hip. It was hard to drop down on to the seat of the car, but SUV seats are close to the height of my bottom and I can just slide in. I live in the country now, but was city living when I switched to the bigger vehicle.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 9:15 pm

SUVs are also used by families when they travel a lot and need more room to carry their extra bags so they have a thing on the top of the car they can put their suitcases in.

For my family we only have a passenger car so what my kids can bring is very limited. A trunk is not enough room for a family of 4 or more. As kids get bigger, so do their clothes so they take up more room in the suitcase. But since we have a washer and dryer at our vacation home, we can bring little clothes and always wash them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 10:31 pm

I'd really like to own a Suzuki Vitara but then I'd be doing a pet peeve - owning a 4WD but not actually going 4 wheel driving. So many 4WDs in the city I live in. Spotless and clean because they've never seen dirt or been to the outback.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 12:08 am

renaeden wrote:
I'd really like to own a Suzuki Vitara but then I'd be doing a pet peeve - owning a 4WD but not actually going 4 wheel driving. So many 4WDs in the city I live in. Spotless and clean because they've never seen dirt or been to the outback.

Around here, people get off pavement a lot and off road from time to time, but they forget all about how much fun a snow day can be, and haul enough gear to get a crew and supplies through a blizzard to pick up a loaf of bread on a summer day by themselves. We are well equipped with quads and snowmobiles, but those are mostly reserved for fun.

There is also far too much mindless driving, done just because it is so easy. Families would follow the harvest before there were cars, but they wouldn't put on thousands of miles a year just for variety. The planet is in an emergency now, people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 6:50 am

i hafta drive a high-riding car as i can't squat for beans anymore. anyways, a pet peeve is automakers nowadays making everything so daggone low-slung and painfully stiff-riding with those STOOOOOPID rubberband tires and huge wagon wheels that look STOOOOOOPID.

bhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2019, 7:24 am

People lack of observation is my biggest pet peeve, not only when im on the bike but when im also in the car. People will just pull out of junctions without even checking then wonder why you're mad when you have to slam the anchors on.
the amount on times especially on the bike that i have very nearly met my fate due to idiots not actually paying attention to the road.
Cyclists are another annoyance, when they pick and choose which rules to follow.
Just the other week in york i was at the traffic lights, it went to green so i proceeded, then a cyclist decided to run the red lights and i nearly hit him. He then had the cheek to shout at me! i had a few choice words for him too.
If you're on the road, follow the rules of the road, if you want to follow the rules of a pedestrian, then follow them rules. Dont pick and choose and make up your own then complain when you nearly get splattered by me!
Another peeve is bikers not wearing protective gear. Ive seen the result of not wearing protective gear.
Peoples lack of safe stopping distances too. Seriously, people need a distance to stop if ever theres a need. You arent going to get anywhere quicker by being 2ft from the car in front.