What is autism? How the term became too broad to have meanin

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 10:23 am

Quote:
The fashion for celebrating ‘neurodiversity’ ignores those with debilitating severe autism, which has created a rift in the community

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ity-severe

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 2:08 pm

The author is wrong on two points. “Self Diagnosis” has nothing to do with autism prevalence rates. That is determined by professionally diagnosed people, period.

Again, most ND proponents are not ableist elitists throwing severe autistics under the bus. Again if we were so determined to throw the more severe under the bus why would we be spending time trying to close the Judge Rotenburg Center, oppose ABA and sheltered workshops that do not generally effect us?

I have been on WP six years to the day, and read autistic spaces and the vast majority of us do not trivialize autism.

The author opined as many have that people that can advocate are not qualified to opine or have a say in the treatment of severe autistics. There is partial truth to this claim. But if we have problems understanding the experiences of the most severe why should NT’s who do not share the common traits, who have not had autistic burnout or childhoods where we were functioning lower be the only valid people to determine treatments for the severely autistic?

As I have said often if and when science proves autism are really separates conditions break up Autism otherwise why break autism up because of a feeling? We don’t break up most conditions because it seems like separate conditions.

The disruption and infighting in the autistic and autism communities is being caused
by aspie supremacists and those advocates for the low functioning who want define autism as it was defined in the 1960s. Those groups have very little in common. What they do have in common is they want to dissociate themselves from the other autistics and break up the spectrum and who been way way way too successful in defining the incorrect perception of what the ND movement is about.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Aug 2019, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 2:15 pm

a lot of non verbal autistic support neurodiversity

alcockell
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2019, 4:07 pm

The author was born in 1990 - at the time in the Uk, all early intervention was Lovaas-based. TEACCH and PECS is what he wpould have been exposed to. I rreckon us int he ANI-L and INLV community would have been workign against his mum in putting Larry Arnold onto NAS's board. I remembeer the mid-90s AGM to this day.

Lorna Wing was working on the spectrum model in the early to mid 90s...

I was taking part in all the research that would later underpint he neurodiversity model at the same time...

Suppose it's somewhat predictable that the last cohort of ABA-onyl folks would comprise the Autistic Dark Web..

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 4:20 pm

It's closed to further comments . I guess it got too heated .

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:36 pm

There are a couple of points that I do not agree with at all with what the author is saying. The first point I do not agree with is that nonverbal Autistics in nappies do not have the ability to speak for themselves. I know that there are many of them who are perfectly able to speak for themselves if given the communication aides that work for them. KingdomofRats was a fine example.

Secondly, I do not think that an Autistic person with an IQ of 30 has an IQ of 30 BECAUSE he is Autistic. I think that intellectual disabilities can be comorbids but are not because of the Autism. I have not looked at the diagnostic criteria in a long time but I do not believe that certain IQ levels are required for an Autism diagnosis. As far as my understanding goes, IQ levels are used to classify people so that the needs of their severity levels can be met. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me. But this is an important point, if I am correct, because "true Autism" should not be defined because someone has a low IQ and needs that kind of support. "True Autism" is exactly what it is. It is a diagnosis given to anyone who is significantly impaired in a number of categories in the diagnosis. Even if the impairments are not visible to the superficial eye, they are still impairing. Even if the help that someone needs because of those impairments might not look just like the help that someone else needs who might have motor skills issues or incontinence or nonverbality, it does not mean that that person does not require significant help. I am a perfect example of this. I LOOK like a level one who could pass for an NT but I actually tested and scored a level 3 and I need very substantial support even though the support I need does not look like the support a nonverbal person in nappies needs. But just because my support looks different does not mean that I am less impaired.

The reason I say this is because, as ASPartofme stated, I do not believe that Autistic people, especially adults, who have lived with their condition their entire lives, are any less qualified to advocate for the entire Autistic community than NTs are. We understand things in our experiences that most NTs will never be able to even thoroughly grasp or comprehend. The other thing that I like to tell people in this regard, is that in order to get a diagnosis of Autism in the first place, whether we are "high functioning" or "low functioning," we all have to meet the requirements of the same diagnostic criteria. Even if our severity levels in each area can manifest differently or can be on very different levels, we all have to fit into the same criteria in order to get the diagnosis. We all have to be impaired on a significant level in enough of the categories within the diagnostic definition.

The other problem with what the author is saying is that he is really generalizing. That kind of thinking really upsets me. He is speaking as if a "high functioning" person is always high functioning in every area across the board and all the time and as if a nonverbal person in nappies is always low functioning in every area across the board all the time. I know that he is wrong in his implication of this. People who are assumed completely not able to do anything except to soil themselves and involuntarily bang their heads are much more capable of so many things than others like to think. And I am not 100% convinced that head banging behavior is always involuntary. Mine sometimes is but I don't think everyone's is. I think that a lot of these nappy wearing nonverbal Autists bang their heads all day and lash out of sheer frustration and anger because they have so much to express but no one is making the effort to understand them and they are thus being treated like nonhumans whether that treatment is intentional or not and they know it and feel it. Most of us know Carly Fleishman's story. So I think the author is not quite on target in these areas.

He is also an Aspie but I wonder if he really understands the severity of struggles that so many of us "high functioning" people deal with on a daily basis and how crippling our struggles are even if we look like we have it all together or look NT at first glance.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm

And maybe we should separate cancer and only call it real cancer if someone is in stage 4 on a death bed but someone like my close relative should be allowed to have what he has be called cancer because it is slow non aggressive type that won't kill him in a few months. He is just as cancerous as anyone else. His leukemia is just as legit as anyone else's.

Wreck It Ralph

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 7:52 pm

I didn't read the article but have an opinion anyways, which might be completely irrelevant: Analogy - Burn victims. There are decision points for various treatments and support -considering which body parts and percentage of burn. One does not say to the person with a 1% on the big toe --- that's *not* a burn - it is, but clearly it's not the same experience as a 90% burn. (Hugs for burn victims.)

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2019, 7:58 pm

Maybe we need a new pdd-nos in the dsm 5? For those in the grey area. I have a gut feeling that it's part of the problem. Before, they could put someone in that category if one didn't quite fit the requirement or if the severity is too mild, now they have to make a probably difficult cut.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 8:08 pm

I 'm not sure where I stand as to functioning level (or the ICD 11 equivalent) . I would say I'm not level 3 , but the truth is I need quite a lot of support to maintain independence . With short term, verbal interactions I'd come across as intelligent if perhaps a tad odd. That would be my interaction with most people. However I struggle when it comes to practical skills. The only thing I'm reasonably OK at is money management. Of course struggling with practical skills is not something most people are going to see.

I do think some people on the spectrum can be more capable than a cursory interaction with them would suggest . I also think the opposite can apply . Overestimating or underestimating a person's ability to function are, to my mind, both problematic .

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:42 am

skibum wrote:
And maybe we should separate cancer and only call it real cancer if someone is in stage 4 on a death bed but someone like my close relative should be allowed to have what he has be called cancer because it is slow non aggressive type that won't kill him in a few months. He is just as cancerous as anyone else. His leukemia is just as legit as anyone else's.

Interestingly there are thresholds for cancer also. Note this carcinoma does not have a "high" probability (severity) and so is being reclassified. Makes me want to read up about classifications of burns (my analogy above), but I won't.

"Although the tumor in question—Encapsulated Follicular Variant of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, known as EFVPTC—has long been considered extremely low risk, it is typically treated as conventional thyroid cancer, largely because of the word carcinoma.

“The word ‘cancer’ implies that there is a high likelihood the tumor will spread to local lymph nodes or distant sites and cause significant harm or death,” said R. Michael Tuttle, M.D., a panel member and clinical director of endocrine services at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. “Tumors like these don’t meet any of those criteria and therefore calling them cancer leads to undue worry and often excessive treatments.”

By reclassifying the tumor as non-cancerous—a decision made after the panel put its risk of spreading or causing harm at less than 1%—patients will no longer have to undergo radioactive iodine therapy, which can damage the salivary glands, cause pain and increase the risk of secondary cancers; or take thyroid suppression hormones, which have been shown to increase the risk of osteoporosis and heart problems."

Source: https://www.endocrineweb.com/news/thyro ... -cancerous

Teasing: So EFVPTC is now broad spectrum cancer, unless a person is the "less than 1%" then will be very specific.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 9:21 am

It's premature to divide up the spectrum beyond severity levels.

I do think research needs to focus more on the specific problems of the most severely disabled autistic people, rather than on trying to "cure autism" in general. And by most severely disabled, I primarily mean disabled in terms of (current) ability to use language-based communication, not just severity of what are currently defined as "autistic" traits per se. Indeed, the primary sources of distress for severely disabled autistic people and their caretakers are not what the DSM 5 would define as their "autistic" traits per se, but rather their lack of language-based communication, together with injurious behaviors toward self and others -- these latter behaviors most likely being caused, in part, by frustrations due to inability to communicate. So, IMO, their lack of language-based communication needs to be emphasized in autism research much more than it is now.

Anyhow, if the point of a proposed reclassification is to make a separation based on IQ and (current) ability to use language-based communication, then bringing back the DSM IV classifications doesn't quite do it.

Even under the DSM IV, there were people diagnosed with "autistic disorder" who had high IQ and could talk, although they were a minority among people diagnosed with "autistic disorder." Indeed, most of the founders of the autistic rights movement where people who had been diagnosed with "autistic disorder" (DSM IV) or even "infantile autism" (DSM III), which had an even stricter definition than "autistic disorder."

Contrary to what is apparently a popular belief among parents of severely disabled autistic children, "Asperger's disorder," as defined in the DSM IV, is NOT synonymous with what was informally called "high functioning autism." The latter term referred to people diagnosed with "autistic disorder" or "infantile autism" who nevertheless had average-to-high IQ and could talk, albeit with a significant delay in learning to talk. On the other hand, part of the definition of "Asperger's disorder" is that there must be no significant speech delay.

Most of the founders of the autistic rights movement were people who had been severely disabled as children but eventually learned to talk and then managed to get a good education. (For example, Jim Sinclair learned to talk at age 12.)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 10:58 am

Some documentation regarding the meaning of "high functioning autism" vs. "Asperger's syndrome":

Here are the actual DSM IV diagnostic criteria for "autistic disorder" and "Asperger's disorder". Note the absence of any requirement that people diagnosed with "autistic disorder" must have a low IQ, or that they must never learn to talk even after a long delay.

Looking at Is There a Difference Between Asperger's Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism on Tony Attwood's site:

Quote:
There has been research comparing the cognitive profile of adolescents with autism and Asperger's syndrome. The studies have examined the cognitive profile of what may be called 'High Functioning Autism', that is children with a diagnosis of autism with an Intelligence Quotient in the normal range, i.e. above 70. The term High Functioning Autism has been used in the past to describe children who had the classic signs of autism in early childhood but as they developed, formal testing of their cognitive skills indicated a greater degree of intellectual ability with greater social and adaptive behaviour skills than are usual with children with autism. Their clinical outcome was better than expected.

Tony Attwood goes on to note that the only significant difference between HFA and Asperger's syndrome is personal history.

(And that's the reason why Asperger's was eventually gotten rid of as a separate diagnosis.)

See also the article Atypicality, IQ, and Diagnostic Categories by James Coplan MD, Psychology Today, Jun 20, 2010. See his diagram showing the relationship amongst "AUTISM" (apparently meaning "autistic disorder"), PDD-NOS, and Asperger's. Note that what he calls "high functioning autism" is a subset of "AUTISM"; it is not the same thing as Asperger's.

Temple Grandin is a famous example of a person who was diagnosed with "autism" (NOT Asperger's) who couldn't speak as a child but eventually learned to speak with the aid of speech therapy and was eventually able to get a Ph.D. (See a brief bio of her here.)

Regarding the early history of the autistic rights movement, see Jim Sinclair's History of ANI, written back in 2005 about events that took place back in the 1990's. The "high-functioning" autistic people mentioned in that article, including Jim Sinclair himself, were mostly people who had learned to talk very late (at age 12, in Jim Sinclair's case), and were mostly people who had been diagnosed with "autism" ("autistic disorder" or "infantile autism"), NOT "Asperger's syndrome" (although the article does mention one person diagnosed with the latter as well).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 11:53 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
It's premature to divide up the spectrum beyond severity levels.

I do think research needs to focus more on the specific problems of the most severely disabled autistic people, rather than on trying to "cure autism" in general. And by most severely disabled, I primarily mean disabled in terms of (current) ability to use language-based communication, not just severity of what are currently defined as "autistic" traits per se. Indeed, the primary sources of distress for severely disabled autistic people and their caretakers are not what the DSM 5 would define as their "autistic" traits per se, but rather their lack of language-based communication, together with injurious behaviors toward self and others -- these latter behaviors most likely being caused, in part, by frustrations due to inability to communicate. So, IMO, their lack of language-based communication needs to be emphasized in autism research much more than it is now.

Anyhow, if the point of a proposed reclassification is to make a separation based on IQ and (current) ability to use language-based communication, then bringing back the DSM IV classifications doesn't quite do it.

Even under the DSM IV, there were people diagnosed with "autistic disorder" who had high IQ and could talk, although they were a minority among people diagnosed with "autistic disorder." Indeed, most of the founders of the autistic rights movement where people who had been diagnosed with "autistic disorder" (DSM IV) or even "infantile autism" (DSM III), which had an even stricter definition than "autistic disorder."

Contrary to what is apparently a popular belief among parents of severely disabled autistic children, "Asperger's disorder," as defined in the DSM IV, is NOT synonymous with what was informally called "high functioning autism." The latter term referred to people diagnosed with "autistic disorder" or "infantile autism" who nevertheless had average-to-high IQ and could talk, albeit with a significant delay in learning to talk. On the other hand, part of the definition of "Asperger's disorder" is that there must be no significant speech delay.

Most of the founders of the autistic rights movement were people who had been severely disabled as children but eventually learned to talk and then managed to get a good education. (For example, Jim Sinclair learned to talk at age 12.)

More research into helping people with impairments communicate and function better without curing them is not without precedent. Sign language, hearing aids, and glasses serve that purpose.

Contrary to popular stereotypes Aspergers disorder/syndrome was not in any manual limited to highly intelligent to genius people with autistic traits. One problem with the dropping of Aspergers diagnosis is it exacerbated these stereotypes. People can define Aspergers as they please and because it is now an informal/colloquial term there is nothing to be realistically done about the term having meanings it was never intended to have. We can complain, but it is a lost cause. Is there anybody still around who wants “gay” to lose its LGBTQIA meanings and return to meaning very happy?

Part of the problem is the DSM IV made Aspergers a separate diagnosis not an Autism subtype. Professionals understood Aspergers was a form of autism. Having Aspergers as a separate diagnosis validated those Aspie supremacists and parents of severe autistics that think autistics that can communicate and have some successes do not have real autism or are not autistic at all.

The idea of Aspergers coming back as a diagnosis is a pipe dream, especially after the revelations that Hans Asperger was complicit in the Nazi Eugenics program. While some think Asperger has been slandered that does not change my conclusion about the non future of the Aspergers diagnosis one iota.

My hope is that the future brings a lot more Autism sub types and that they are based on dominant and most “impairing” traits.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 27 Aug 2019, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 12:16 pm

^^ Whilst I can see that that there probably isn't low functioning Asperger's I don't think it's exclusively high functioning either . IMO it straddles moderate and high functioning .

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
More research into helping people with impairments communicate and function better without curing them is not without precedent. Sign language, hearing aids, and glasses serve that purpose.

Yep. Probably a lot more nonverbal autistic kids could learn to read and write, type, and/or use sign language if these were emphasized more in therapy for all autistic children, at as early an age as possible.

However, this probably wouldn't solve the problem for all autistic kids. There may well be some whose brains just can't process language in any form at all, or at least not without extreme difficulty. Hence I think it would be highly desirable for there to be more research into the neurological basis of language ability and language disabilities, with the eventual aim of curing or at least alleviating this neurological basis if possible.

Also I'd like to see more research into the motor difficulties that often accompany autism, and that are probably the basis for at least some severely disabled autistic people's inability to talk and, in some cases, inability to write or type either.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Contrary to popular stereotypes Aspergers disorder/syndrome was not in any manual limited to highly intelligent to genius people with autistic traits. One problem with the dropping of Aspergers diagnosis is it exacerbated these stereotypes. People can define Aspergers as they please and because it is now an informal/colloquial term there is nothing to be realistically done about the term having meanings it was never intended to have. We can complain, but it is a lost cause.

Except when people use these "meanings it was never intended to have" as the basis of an expressed desire to go back to the DSM IV categorization. Then it's highly relevant to look at what the DSM IV actually said about both "Asperger's disorder" and "autistic disorder."

Also, for people who think "classic autism" meant "low IQ, can't communicate at all," it's highly relevant to look not only at the DSM IV definition of "autistic disorder," but also at Kanner's paper (PDF copy), in which he described some of the boys he studied as highly intelligent.