Thoughts about wearing a coat inside the classroom?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 4:22 am

Hi. How do you react when you see a person wear a coat or jacket inside a classroom? I do it all the time, so I wonder if people react to this or if they don't have any thoughts about it at all.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 4:29 am

I think it depends on the coat. If you're wearing a heavy woollen duffle-coat indoors then people will think that's strange, but if you are casual about it (and your classmates are rational) then you might get away with it without any hassle as you seem to. If it's more of a jacket then you shouldn't get any looks, I've worn leather jackets in class and that was OK.

Basically outerwear indoors is strange by definition, but there are different levels of outerwear, besides which being strange is just fine! :)

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 6:20 am

racheypie666 wrote:
I think it depends on the coat. If you're wearing a heavy woollen duffle-coat indoors then people will think that's strange, but if you are casual about it (and your classmates are rational) then you might get away with it without any hassle as you seem to. If it's more of a jacket then you shouldn't get any looks, I've worn leather jackets in class and that was OK.

Basically outerwear indoors is strange by definition, but there are different levels of outerwear, besides which being strange is just fine! :)

Thank you ^^ I am wearing a trench coat, so I think it must be okay then.

WyoViking
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2016, 8:04 am

I'll make a mental note that a person is wearing a coat indoors, but not much beyond that, personally, unless is burning hot and the person is wearing a trench coat or something bulky, I wouldn't care.

I'm huge into Military history and PC gaming, I also hike a lot.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

Think maybe he's cold or is wearing it because he likes it. it doesn't bother me. why should it?

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 9:42 am

When I was at school we weren't allowed to wear coats in the classroom.

But if you did wear a coat in the classroom, others didn't consider it strange. It was actually considered 'bad ass'. Some teachers didn't bother to tell us to take off our coats. In my last year of school (in winter) I started wearing my coat around the building and in the classrooms, only taking it off when being asked by a teacher.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 11:08 am

The high school I went to was always freezing, so I saw coats in the classroom all the time. I never wore one though because I like it cold 8)

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 11:15 am

Thank you for all your answers :)

WyoViking wrote:
I'll make a mental note that a person is wearing a coat indoors, but not much beyond that, personally, unless is burning hot and the person is wearing a trench coat or something bulky, I wouldn't care.

I understand. There's a lot of people who asks me why I do it.

skibum wrote:
Think maybe he's cold or is wearing it because he likes it. it doesn't bother me. why should it?

It's right it's because I like it, it makes me feel safer.

Joe90 wrote:
When I was at school we weren't allowed to wear coats in the classroom.

But if you did wear a coat in the classroom, others didn't consider it strange. It was actually considered 'bad ass'. Some teachers didn't bother to tell us to take off our coats. In my last year of school (in winter) I started wearing my coat around the building and in the classrooms, only taking it off when being asked by a teacher.

I do the same thing except I wear a jacket in all of the seasons.

TheSilentOne wrote:
The high school I went to was always freezing, so I saw coats in the classroom all the time. I never wore one though because I like it cold 8)

8) Indeed ;)

Ailurus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2016, 11:49 am

I have worn a relatively massive Winter coat in class for a long time, past high school, but only during Winter. Canadian Winter's coat. I think I did it as well at the end of high school. I'd say it depends how old you are. Teenagers will judge just about anything and everything, but, past that, a few persons passed remarks, asks questions, but nothing disrespectful.

CircuitCity
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2016, 12:04 pm

If it was Summer, I'd worry that they might get heat stroke or that they have some sort of ulterior motive... but if it's Winter and cold out, that's understandable.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 12:19 pm

In Florida, an actual coat will get some looks most of the year. Long sleeve shirt is acceptable.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm

We're not allowed to wear coats in class. There is a concern that one could hide a weapon or drugs in it.

It wouldn't bother me if someone was wearing a coat in class.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 12:31 pm

If it makes you feel safe then you should wear it. Just be very careful that your body does not overheat. if you can, leave the zipper or buttons as open as you can to let cool air in while you are inside

if you have a light jacket or sweat shirt or something that you feel safe with that would be better if the classroom is warm. You really want to be careful not to overheat your body.

if your teachers don't say anything, it's fine. if your teachers ask you about it you can tell them that the coat makes you feel safe. they should understand.

i thought of that concern as well, concealing contraband. if that is a concern, allow the principal or teacher to look at your coat to see that you are not hiding anything.

Wreck It Ralph

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

Thank you all for answering!

Ailurus wrote:
I have worn a relatively massive Winter coat in class for a long time, past high school, but only during Winter. Canadian Winter's coat. I think I did it as well at the end of high school. I'd say it depends how old you are. Teenagers will judge just about anything and everything, but, past that, a few persons passed remarks, asks questions, but nothing disrespectful.

I'm experiencing something similar. I'm currently in high school, so far no one has said anything insulting, but there are people who asks. I wont be surprised if there someone talking about it behind my back at least.

CircuitCity wrote:
If it was Summer, I'd worry that they might get heat stroke or that they have some sort of ulterior motive... but if it's Winter and cold out, that's understandable.

I do it when it's summer too, luckily I'm able to accept wearing lighter jackets.

SH90 wrote:
In Florida, an actual coat will get some looks most of the year. Long sleeve shirt is acceptable.

Good that I don't live in Florida ;)

AnaHitori wrote:
We're not allowed to wear coats in class. There is a concern that one could hide a weapon or drugs in it.

It wouldn't bother me if someone was wearing a coat in class.

I've never heard of that before, that sounds really serious, have there actually been any people who have done that before at your school?

skibum wrote:
If it makes you feel safe then you should wear it. Just be very careful that your body does not overheat. if you can, leave the zipper or buttons as open as you can to let cool air in while you are inside

if you have a light jacket or sweat shirt or something that you feel safe with that would be better if the classroom is warm. You really want to be careful not to overheat your body.

if your teachers don't say anything, it's fine. if your teachers ask you about it you can tell them that the coat makes you feel safe. they should understand.

i thought of that concern as well, concealing contraband. if that is a concern, allow the principal or teacher to look at your coat to see that you are not hiding anything.

Thank you again, I'll try to keep my jacket open more often. I sometimes wear light jackets underneath too so I can take my jacket off. I've actually told my teacher about it, but she just sounded even more puzzled haha, she was accepting though.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:43 pm

That is great that she was accepting. If she knows you are autistic that will help her understand. She sounds like a nice teacher.

Wreck It Ralph

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:51 pm

My thought to coats in the class room is "stupid air conditioning. Why make it colder inside than it is outside so people have to wear their coats indoors?"

I can't wear summer clothes, because anywhere I go, as soon as I'm indoors I'm freezing to death because of people who crank the air conditioner so it's colder indoors in the summer than it is in the winter.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support