Terms People Say About You, But What Do They Mean?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2019, 6:52 pm

A few times people have said in my past that I am like a dark horse. But what does a dark horse do? Does it surprize everyone by running faster then other horses?

Any terms you have heard and sort of understand but don't really know what they mean?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Sep 2019, 2:25 am

Quote:
Meaning of Idiom ‘Dark Horse’

A dark horse is a person, in regards to a certain field, sport, political race etc., whose experience and abilities are unknown but who could unexpectedly win or achieve success over others; an unknown and unexpected winner of a race or other contest.
https://www.idioms.online/dark-horse/

So yes, dark horse is someone who may surprise everyone by showing capabilities on one expected.
It's in line with - common in the spectrum - uneven and spiky profile of intelligence and capabilities.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 4:10 am

Thanks Magz. I know quite a few times in my life people have said that term. I was puzzled. I was thinking "Could it mean a sexual term? Could it mean I run faster? (Neither of which made sense as I was a virgin and also due to my muscles I found I wasn't a great runner but I was excellent on the bicycle).
I was very puzzled. Haha.

Anyone else have terms they have heard but don't know what they are?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 4:15 am

Another word. Moron. When I started hearing the term being used and asked "What's a moron?" People would laugh and say "You!" But it never answered my question. I know they were being funny! But they knew how to use the word, but no one could tell me what the word actually means. In those days it wasn't in our dictionary. Pleb is another word like that.

nouse
Raven
Raven

14 Sep 2019, 5:23 am

Dark horse could be highly culturally and locationally bounded. Maybe it is based on empirical perception or false categorization. If there exits horse in certain area that has genetic mutation which comes with behavioral and color change it must be one reason for it. If however the horses are all black then it can not have similar connotation.

Or maybe there was a myth and around that area black horse was rare and therefore it meant something out of the ordinary and hence it was coined together with some soldier/knight.

Or it was a good way to hide oneself from thieves in darkness.

That is because it does not reflect black sheep quality that much.

Never heard of dark horse. Interesting.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Sep 2019, 5:30 am

In my language, "black horse" means the same.
I always understood it as related to horse racing, no one betting on the dark horse because people don't know it or because they believe dark colors to be unlucky.

The other words - English is not my first language so I just google them.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 5:53 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Another word. Moron. When I started hearing the term being used and asked "What's a moron?" People would laugh and say "You!" But it never answered my question. I know they were being funny! But they knew how to use the word, but no one could tell me what the word actually means. In those days it wasn't in our dictionary. Pleb is another word like that.

A "moron" is a "dumb cluck". A ret*d.

A cut above an "imbecile", or an "idiot", but definitely below even a mediocre normal person.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news dude..

In fact at one time it was even used as a medical term for folks of a certain IQ range (lower were actually called "imbeciles")by doctors and shrinks. After the war they switched to the less derogatory "ret*d".

The parents of my baby boomer generation would tell "moron jokes". So American kids my age in the Sixties would be quite familiar with the term, and would know to kick someone's ass if they called us that..

Last edited by naturalplastic on 14 Sep 2019, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 6:04 am

In contrast "dark horse" is, if anything, a compliment.

In comes from horse racing.

A horse that lags behind the group, but then suddenly gets a burst of speed and over takes the rest to beat the rest at the finish line is a "dark horse". Nothing to do with the horse's actual coloration.

In America it came to be applied to politics. A "dark horse candidate" is the unknown person at the bottom of the polls and primaries who suprises and shocks everyone by suddenly vaulting in popularity and over takes the competition to win.

So if folks are calling you a "dark horse" they probably mean "you're not as dumb as you seem", or that you "surprise folks by having hidden talents". Actually I have rarely heard it applied outside horse racing and elections myself.

But I have heard folks say "I don't care WHAT they all say! you're not as ret*d as they all say you are!". Gee...thanks a lot!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 6:10 am

Moron = carrot :P

leave out some morons for Siôn Corn's ceirw

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 6:18 am

SaveFerris wrote:

Speak in English. Not in Welsh please!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 6:27 am

Leave out some carrots for Santa Claus's reindeer

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 6:50 am

you're saying that the Welsh word for "carrot" is "moron"?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 7:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
you're saying that the Welsh word for "carrot" is "moron"?

It is in indeed.

Hence the funny Alexa video going round about Boris Johnson.

If you ask Alexa to translate into Welsh the following "Boris Johnson carrots 100"

Alexa replies "Boris Johnson Moron Cant" although 'cant' sounds like c**t :twisted:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 7:42 am

kinda like how they hafta to change the name of the "Chevy Nova" car to sell it in Spanish speaking countries, because in Spanish "nova" means "no go".

And that's despite the fact that "Nova" is Latin for "new", and was inherited almost unchanged into modern Spanish as "neuva" (also meaning 'new').

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:25 am

A dark horse is a person who scores an unexpected victory. Denis Istomin's victory over Djokovic at the Australian Open could fit that category. Years before that, it wasn't expected that he would even play tennis professionally following a traumatic accident. He has scored many victories in his life.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2019, 9:49 am

SaveFerris wrote:

tdil

I will add it to my extensive Welsh vocabulary: Croeso i Gymru; mae manylion pellach ar gael ar wefan y cwmni; ARAF. YSGOL. Ambiwlans.

I was in Welsh Walesland yesterday, as it happens.