Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Qiache
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2019, 3:58 am

Hi, I have a daughter with autism that I am homeschooling. She is doing MUCH better at home than in public school but finding curricula for her a big challenge as she needs a lot of maintenance practice. For example, Saxon for math is working well. I am thinking of using Shurley English based on description alone. Would love some input. I have not seen the curriculum. Actually, suggestions for children in Special ed or with autism for any subject is GREATLY appreciated!! !

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 6:53 am

How old is your daughter?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 10:57 am

Many times Aspies excel in their special interest. So understanding your daughters special interest and expanding her world through it is a good approach. For example, loving animals can lead to a career in veterinary science. An interest in cartoons can lead to becoming a computer animator.

Also it is very important to teach her life skills. These are the skills that you and your wife have learned over the years. Life tasks are normal tasks that individuals (such as parents) use in their normal life. Life skills can be almost anything. They can be making a scrambled egg, or making a sunny-side-up egg, or driving a nail into a board, changing a flat tire, washing the dishes, balancing a checkbook, using a cookbook, making cherry jubilee, ironing their clothes, fixing a broken dishwasher, answering the phone, unclogging a toilet, changing a light bulb, making a cup of coffee or grinding coffee beans by hand, coloring Easter eggs the old fashion way or finding Easter eggs buried inside or at the end of a movie, grinding grains of wheat to make flour and then using the flour to make a loaf of bread, creating a spreadsheet or sweeping a floor. These life skills can be very mundane or very intricate task. There are millions of life skills that can be learned. They can be outdoor survival skills taught in boy scouts or girl scouts. Every skill makes her self worth a little bit stronger against psychological abuse.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 11:08 pm

^what he said

I was homeschooled for two years. And due to being utterly burned out on anything "school" like my mother had to get a bit creative. I was in a horse based 4H group so all of that was included within my school work. Most I did and learned about was horse based but also playing games. Like Scrabble with the ability to look up words in the dictionary and having to say the meaning of words played. Stuff like monopoly for handling money. As a project after reading a book I made a time line of the main characters emotions and color coded it.

Try asking your daughter what she'd like to learn about. That could give you a jumping off board of customizing her learning