Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 7:06 pm

I don't know what to call it, but is anyone else extremely the opposite of flat affect? I accidentally just saw a video of myself and it is so embarrassing how much I over move, over gesture, over express with my face. I forget I do it until someone shares video...ugh, going to put my head in the sand and hide for a few days.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 7:32 pm

I had dubbed it as 'overacting effect' :lol: where even a teeny bit of a sensation gets an explicit reaction appropriate or not.
It's just as 'automatic' as one would 'let it' permit with the opposite (under reaction), as opposed to manual on either 'directions'.

Didn't knew what it was really called, really. Had yet to search what it is...

Had done 'both' myself, on accounts of my own discovery and other else's remarks or their reactions.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 10:23 pm

I think I'm extremes. Most of the time my face doesn't bear much resemblance to my inside world. But once I'm talking about an area of interest I probably over express.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:27 pm

Histrionic personality disorder

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 11:33 pm

I'm either stone-cold flat (95%), or so giddy that people think I'm high (5%).

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 11:35 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Histrionic personality disorder

I don't think this is what the OP is talking about. Inadvertent over-expressing in language and facial expression is different from attention seeking, much less to the point of being a personality disorder.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 8:00 pm

Fern wrote:
I don't think this is what the OP is talking about. Inadvertent over-expressing in language and facial expression is different from attention seeking, much less to the point of being a personality disorder.

Yes, thank you. That's what I meant! It's like every passing half thought is over expressed in my face and body language. When people ask what I'm thinking, or why I'm laughing, or why I looked a certain way, I have absolutely no idea what they are referring to because inside is going a mile a minute.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 8:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm either stone-cold flat (95%), or so giddy that people think I'm high (5%).

In high school all my friends were the stoners because I fit in so well without even joining in on their recreation. People always assume I'm high.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 8:05 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I had dubbed it as 'overacting effect' :lol: where even a teeny bit of a sensation gets an explicit reaction appropriate or not.
It's just as 'automatic' as one would 'let it' permit with the opposite (under reaction), as opposed to manual on either 'directions'.

Didn't knew what it was really called, really. Had yet to search what it is...

Had done 'both' myself, on accounts of my own discovery and other else's remarks or their reactions.

That's a much better way to put it than "I'm such a spaz," which is usually how I feel about myself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 11:41 pm

I call it being over expressive.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 2:28 am

I am indeed guilty of this I think. Though I was sure I would be in the minority on these boards.

I remember I met this boy I liked in high school's mom. I tried to be friendly to her and I thought it went well. Then when I was coming back into the room I overheard her saying that she thought I seemed like I was "putting on an act" because I seemed "too happy". I remember thinking "Well, she's not wrong..."

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 6:25 pm

Now that I've been pondering it for a few days, I think it is a very poor masking reflex. Like because I know when I talk people usually don't understand, I over project to add more meaning. I don't always know how to verbally express how I feel, so every feeling comes out overdone on my face. :|

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 6:35 pm

That is me: uber expressive. (Unless I am "subdued".) On the other hand you have my Aspie-like BFF and her family: most of whom are flat affect in a big way. I went to her house, said hello to her dog in my usual way "aaaaaaaaw, doggggggg!" and the poor fellow growled and went defensive. I guess he had never seen the like. (They rarely, if ever, had visitors of course.) But then at my house we had a hyper Labrador, so I guess personality can reflect in the pets.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:11 am

I can't hide my emotions. People know if I'm happy or upset.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 8:44 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I can't hide my emotions. People know if I'm happy or upset.

In order to play poker, I thought perhaps I could cover by being excited by EVERY card. It's another card!! Oh, and another card!! ! I reality I just make the pot bigger for someone else.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

I saw a term in the research literature called "inappropriate facial expression", I wonder if this has anything to do with what you are talking about.