Page 3 of 18 [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:25 pm

firemonkey wrote:
^ I notice that's from a right wing source that's always been very anti climate change advocates.

The title of this thread is "The Greta Thunberg Debate". Generally the term debate means there is at least two sides to the discussion. So whether the source is right or left, it is valid for the discussion. But it must be factual. So is there anything in the discussed articles that you feel is not factual and can you site other sources that dispute the information.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 12:55 pm

If the world doesn't end by the time we are both in our 40's, I'm going to have to give Greta a bit of a ribbing.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 1:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
If the world doesn't end by the time we are both in our 40's, I'm going to have to give Greta a bit of a ribbing.

Severn Suzuki is in her forties now, you can practice on her in the meantime.

This song and dance isn't new.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 2:11 pm

Has some of the elements of Greta's speech. Severn Suzuki is the daughter of David Suzuki, a very well known environmental activist. So it is natural to wonder if her father had a role in creating the speech and helping her attend the conference. Would the U.N. allow any child the opportunity to attend a conference to lecture them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 2:15 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Severn Suzuki is in her forties now, you can practice on her in the meantime.

This song and dance isn't new.

LOL amazing.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

26 Sep 2019, 2:35 pm

Listening to and watching Greta makes me proud. She is intelligent and brave. Yes, her black and white thinking may be a bit strong. Her facial expressions may be a bit off. But, I believe there is a special place in hell for all those who mock and bully someone because they are different. I think we have all been there!

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 3:14 pm

Look into her parents, her PR company, which is linked to her mother.

I'm sorry but this is a young autistic woman being used by others to feather their nests.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 3:27 pm

BDavro wrote:

I'm sorry but this is a young autistic woman being used by others to feather their nests.

You mean that the woman who agreed to let her 8 year old daughter drop out of school to pursue (coincidentally, I'm sure) the same sort of climate activism that the mother herself was engaged in might not have her best interest at heart? Well, I for one am shocked! Shocked, I say!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 3:34 pm

I really don't know what to think, so I've decided that I don't really care.

Things never get better no matter what people say.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 4:08 pm

goatfish57 wrote:
Listening to and watching Greta makes me proud. She is intelligent and brave. Yes, her black and white thinking may be a bit strong. Her facial expressions may be a bit off. But, I believe there is a special place in hell for all those who mock and bully someone because they are different. I think we have all been there!

There is a lot of virtue signaling in environmental movements. They paint pictures in black and white. If you disagree with their position, you are evil and there is a special place in hell for you. In a way that is why Greta was chosen.
If you disagree with her position, you are interpreted as attacking her - first because she is a child - you must be evil. Second because she is on the spectrum so you must be doubly evil.

Well I am on the spectrum also. If I disagree with her position of cataclysmic man-made global warming, understand I am not attacking her but rather her position. Normally when you go to school would you expect the students to be teaching the class? More likely you would have someone with years of experience teaching the class not a child. In my opinion she is being used. She is a symbol.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 4:13 pm

I was just being factual about the political stance of the source.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 4:38 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
BDavro wrote:

You mean that the woman who agreed to let her 8 year old daughter drop out of school to pursue (coincidentally, I'm sure) the same sort of climate activism that the mother herself was engaged in might not have her best interest at heart? Well, I for one am shocked! Shocked, I say!

It's becoming like a cult or something.

I mean, you just have to read up on the family and draw your own conclusions.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 4:42 pm

jimmy m wrote:
There is a lot of virtue signaling in environmental movements. They paint pictures in black and white. If you disagree with their position, you are evil and there is a special place in hell for you. In a way that is why Greta was chosen.
If you disagree with her position, you are interpreted as attacking her - first because she is a child - you must be evil. Second because she is on the spectrum so you must be doubly evil.

Only a dishonest or idiotic person would deny that some have chosen to attack her . They may be a minority of climate change sceptics, but the point still stands .

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 5:17 pm

firemonkey wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Only a dishonest or idiotic person would deny that some have chosen to attack her . They may be a minority of climate change sceptics, but the point still stands .

And you'd have to be at least equally idiotic or dishonest not to see that avoiding criticism and deflecting rebuttals by labeling both as unfair and unwarranted abuse of a poor innocent child who just wants to save the world is the entire point of this tactic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 6:06 pm

I've never heard of her, but from reading the OP, I have nothing against her. Why do people think that a 16-year-old is unable to take an interest in climate change? Do they think all 16-year-olds are ignorant and incapable of learning, or do they think that an autistic 16-year-old is too dumb to learn? Or do they just think that all autistics typically lack this empathy thing and makes them unable to care about the climate and the public?
Seriously, people need to be educated on how autistics are not dumb, ignorant and incompetent sociopaths with no skills or emotions.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 6:13 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

And you'd have to be at least equally idiotic or dishonest not to see that avoiding criticism and deflecting rebuttals by labeling both as unfair and unwarranted abuse of a poor innocent child who just wants to save the world is the entire point of this tactic.

That would depend if she's saying all people who are sceptical about climate change are aiming their blows at her , rather than just being critical of the cause she believes in . You'd have to be totally dishonest or stupid to deny that some have made it personal in a boorish and uncivilised way .

If people want to criticise the position she holds that's fine . Just stopping being a lout and attacking her as a person .