Are all autistic individuals very intelligent?

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:26 am

I'll keep on keeping on, MG, thank you. :mrgreen:

There are some lovely people here, you included.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:28 am

renaeden wrote:
I'll keep on keeping on, MG, thank you. :mrgreen:

There are some lovely people here, you included.

Thanks. Yes. I have never met so many kind hearted beautiful people as the ones in here! Everyones nice.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 11:44 am

Severe autism is associated with intellectual disability. There is a stereotype of milder autistics having high intelligence, and also of autistic savants who are really good at one thing.

To be honest I don't know how much of this has any real backing around it. There is a higher prevalence of autism in families with scientific/mathematical backgrounds. These families also tend to on average have higher intellectual ability.

As usual averages are pretty useless. There is a wide diversity of people on the spectrum of varying intellectual ability.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 1:17 pm

Spede wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Please try to avoid using "all" and "autism" in the same sentence. I know I'm not 'very intelligent' and I don't care to be either.

Okay, sorry My Bad.

It's OK, you meant well. What I'm saying is autism is such a wide spectrum that there is no all or nothing. The only thing we all are is humans. :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 2:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Spede wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Please try to avoid using "all" and "autism" in the same sentence. I know I'm not 'very intelligent' and I don't care to be either.

Okay, sorry My Bad.

It's OK, you meant well. What I'm saying is autism is such a wide spectrum that there is no all or nothing. The only thing we all are is humans. :)

Humans! Yes. I'm human too!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Of the 75 children with ASD, 55% had an intellectual disability (IQ<70) but only 16% had moderate to severe intellectual disability (IQ<50); 28% had average intelligence (115>IQ>85) but only 3% were of above average intelligence (IQ>115). There was some evidence for a clinically significant Performance/Verbal IQ (PIQ/VIQ) discrepancy but discrepant verbal versus performance skills were not associated with a particular pattern of symptoms, as has been reported previously. There was mixed evidence of a characteristic subtest profile: whereas some previously reported patterns were supported (e.g. poor Comprehension), others were not (e.g. no 'peak' in Block Design). Adaptive skills were significantly lower than IQ and were associated with severity of early social impairment and also IQ.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21272389

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:26 pm

I'm like an intellectual curate's egg .

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:47 pm

Spede wrote:

f**k no.

I'm a ret*d.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:49 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
renaeden wrote:
I'm of average intelligence. I'm blown away sometimes by the levels of intelligence shown on WP. So many smart and articulate people here. That's probably why I don't post much. I haven't got anything of worth to add.

You post some lovely things. Don't stop posting. :)
I agree!!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 4:51 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The only thing we all are is humans. :)
Sometimes I am not even sure about that!! :D

Wreck It Ralph

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:00 pm

Intelligent how? I score high on IQ tests, have some above average skills etc... but...

BDavro wrote:
Spede wrote:

f**k no.

I'm a ret*d.

As outrageous as it is these days, I often refer to myself like this too... I am ret*d - delayed - in many ways and that's just the way it is. I'm not even annoyed anymore when people are genuinely confused about "how can somebody so smart be so stupid" - I know they have a point.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:09 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Intelligent how? I score high on IQ tests, have some above average skills etc... but...

BDavro wrote:
Spede wrote:

f**k no.

I'm a ret*d.

As outrageous as it is these days, I often refer to myself like this too... I am ret*d - delayed - in many ways and that's just the way it is. I'm not even annoyed anymore when people are genuinely confused about "how can somebody so smart be so stupid" - I know they have a point.

I actually do too. In the areas that I did not develop properly in and I have the functioning levels of a child, I always say that I am emotionally ret*d or ret*d in some of these other areas. I know that many people use the word ret*d as a slur but I never do. I use it about myself in the way that it literally and clinically means. It is the most clinically accurate word for my issues.

Wreck It Ralph

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:13 pm

^
Ditto. Thank you, skibum, you're always very articulate and precise.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:16 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:

BDavro wrote:
Spede wrote:

f**k no.

I'm a ret*d.

Our brain development is somehow ret*d, compared to the normal brain, average.

I am rather fond of our particular retardation.

Trophonius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2019, 5:32 pm

Autism is a spectrum. While the so-called "high-functioning autists" (also formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome) may have an average intelligence (or sometimes, higher), autism in its moderate to severe form imply a deficit in cognitive functions, probably the very opposite of what we consider intelligence.

The (unfortunate, I'd say) stereotype of autism in society, though mostly older folks, is a person who lives inside his mind performing mind-blowing calculations. This stereotype is interesting and has a highly romantic character: everyone loves to see a person go through hardship and triumph at the end due to his unique talents; because of this it has been severely abused by media to fill their pockets. This stereotype fits better with the Savant Syndrome, rather than with autism.

Also, I think is important to remember than autistic individuals in this forum are not a reasonable measure when considering intelligence in autism. Everyone here seems to have some degree of functionality, while some autistic individuals have cognitive deficits that wouldn't allow this kind of communication.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:41 pm

Trophonius wrote:
Autism is a spectrum. While the so-called "high-functioning autists" (also formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome) may have an average intelligence (or sometimes, higher), autism in its moderate to severe form imply a deficit in cognitive functions, probably the very opposite of what we consider intelligence.

The (unfortunate, I'd say) stereotype of autism in society, though mostly older folks, is a person who lives inside his mind performing mind-blowing calculations. This stereotype is interesting and has a highly romantic character: everyone loves to see a person go through hardship and triumph at the end due to his unique talents; because of this it has been severely abused by media to fill their pockets. This stereotype fits better with the Savant Syndrome, rather than with autism.

Also, I think is important to remember than autistic individuals in this forum are not a reasonable measure when considering intelligence in autism. Everyone here seems to have some degree of functionality, while some autistic individuals have cognitive deficits that wouldn't allow this kind of communication.

It's really not about intelligence.

Long before autism was a diagnosis, there were words for people like us in many cultures.Mostly relating to us being in our own time and space.
I don't see our more spaced out siblings as less than me, they just have more in that world rather than this one.