Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2016, 4:03 pm

The sensation of my skin being wet really bothers me. Once I get myself into the shower it's usually ok but drying off afterwards makes me feel all gross and cringe-y. And putting clothes on when I'm not completely dry feels awful too.

I don't swim and sometimes go longer than I should without a shower if I don't need to go anywhere.

everybody's playing the game
but nobody's rules are the same
nobody's on nobody's side

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 4:40 pm

Plug in a heater with a fan in your washroom after your shower to dry you off completely, that's what I do.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 4:49 pm

Yep.
Me too

The weird part I was a competitive swimmer.
15 years my wife found another thing to smile and laugh.
She asked me why I wasn't swimming much.
I told her.
For a while I did swim. Even order a couple of suits and practice flippers.

Might try it again thanks to this thread.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 12:43 am

I used to love being in pools when I was little. Beginning to get wet in the tub is the hard part. I don't mind showering too much once I'm wet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 1:01 am

I don't mind being wet as long as it is not sweat, nor cold water.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 1:09 am

Lol, I'm the opposite. To me there is nothing better than a nice hot bath, except maybe getting in a natural hot spring and having a blizzard rain down from above-- that's a super nice sensation as well because you just know you're going to go skiing the next day. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 1:10 am

I can handle cold water only when it is roasting hot outside or inside, otherwise it knots up my muscles something fierce.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2016, 7:34 am

I've always hated getting my socks and shoes wet if I can't immediately take them off and dry my feet. It sometimes happens that they get soaked when I'm at work, and I can't get them off for a few hours until work is over. I hate that "squish squish squish" feeling and I have a hard time concentrating on anything else until I can dry out my feet. Other than that, I have no problem with water or the feeling of getting wet.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 8:34 am

I think a lot of people feel this way, and not just autistic people.

I once saw one of those TV shows about people with strange habits. This lady was afraid of water and just used wipes to clean herself. They had her go to a doctor to see if this was healthy. They said although it wasn't psychologically healthy not to face her fear, it was physically fine. She was just as clean as anyone else.

I'm not sure what she did about her hair. You can get along awhile with dry shampoo.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm

Me too. Hate getting in the shower or pool. Then hate getting out, because that wet sensation is even worse.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

On a similar note, I hate going into an air condition building after coming in from the rain.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 10:39 pm

I don't mind getting wet, but when I'm dry I hate touching things that are wet. When I have to touch something that's wet I have an urge to dry off to get rid of that sensation.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 1:31 am

I kind of have this love/hate thing for getting wet. I am a freediver and absolutely love the feeling of the water on my skin while I'm underwater. But on the other hand, I can not stand the feeling of wearing wet clothes. I can not stand going out in the rain wearing normal street clothes. even with a rain coat on. If I got to be out in the rain for a long time and it's not too cold. I'll just put on my swim suit and some rubber slippers and I can spend hours outside in the middle of a rainstorm, In fact, I love standing out in a rainstorm in my swim suit.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2016, 2:40 am

For me, I love taking a bath as a way to relax, but I hate when my socks get wet when it's raining outside. I do love spending time in the pool when I'm visiting my mom in Vegas in the summer, but I don't like going into the air conditioned house because having a damp swimsuit really intensifies the air conditioning on my skin.

As for showers, I think of them as a necessity because I'm extremely self conscious about potentially having body odor, so as long as I get my morning shower, I'm fine for the rest of the day. I don't wash my hair every day, since I found that washing it every day really dried it out. Once I managed to stop that, my hair has actually become healthier.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 6:16 am

Once I am in the pool I like swimming, especially underwater

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2016, 2:39 am

I feel exactly the same way. I attribute my hatred of getting wet to an extreme temperature sensitivity. My guess is that it's part of the Sensory Processing Disorder that underlies all Spectrum folk to a certain degree. In my case, it becomes almost painful to be pushed into a cold stream of water. Getting into hot tubs is also unusually painful, while others always find it immediately pleasurable. I just don't get it, and never will. :(

Showers themselves are a hassle. I grew up with a heater available in our family washroom, which made the shock of leaving a hot bath/shower a bit more bearable.