First part of assessment today, contemplating results...

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 8:45 pm

It showed a shape that was nearly all on the right hand side but had a small spike heading to the left just in one area. While I expected to have some areas where I would be to the right (The ASD side?), I also expected to be a bit more central between thw two?
One aspect... Though it has been explained to ma many times... empathy... Well. Before I came on this site, I never considered it. I am very sympathetic. I feel for other people and what they may be facing. But then from there on questions can be asked along the lines of "Are you able to know what the other person is thinking? Well. No one can. No one can read anothers mind. We can guess... We can think how we would feel if it happened to us. But somehow this empathy is for superhuman people who know what others are thinking? I just don't get how anyone can do that without mind reading. Anyone?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 9:12 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
"Are you able to know what the other person is thinking? Well. No one can. No one can read anothers mind. We can guess... We can think how we would feel if it happened to us. But somehow this empathy is for superhuman people who know what others are thinking? I just don't get how anyone can do that without mind reading. Anyone?

Correct, there are probabilities. NTs make assumptions based on high probabilities, or considering my NT husband's behavior whatever is better for them. NT husband "I thought you said 3:30" (no, he didn't process what I said, didn't want to bother clarifying and went with what suited him; on the otherhand I will annoy him by clarifying to the umpteenth time to ensure the probability of misunderstanding is approaching 0%).

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 12:26 am

SharonB wrote:
Wow, a year! (I had to read that three times to get it.) Here the best clinics for kids have longer waits, but not that long. NY is under resourced.

I probably could have gotten diagnosed a lot faster had I been able to afford the full price (at least a few thousand dollars) for a diagnosis directly by a fully qualified psychotherapist. The long waiting list was for a much cheaper option, being diagnosed by a psychology student "extern" working under a fully qualified psychotherapist.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 3:55 am

I hated the waiting. Aspie wasn't on my radar at the time, I was so afraid I was going to be diagnosed with Bipolar and forced to go on medications. I wouldn't care so much if I weren't trying to work again. I'm in a monitoring program for nurses in recovery (clean date 9-25-2013) and if we get diagnosed with a mental disorder they MAKE us comply with ordered medication or we cannot work. My meltdowns were very rare, I was not all over the place emotionally. But, I just never knew what label they were going to slap on me next.

My experience with the testing part is if I am honest, they are accurate. If I'm deceptive (which I was on my first test that was covered by my insurance), the test can tell.

I hope this next month goes fast for you, although I know it won't. It only goes fast if something horrible happens (it did for us and the time when I was in trouble for telling everyone off flew by), but I don't wish that for you. I wish for you to be satisfied with your results and feel they are an accurate reflection of you. {{{ :heart: }}}

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 5:49 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
The long waiting list was for a much cheaper option, being diagnosed by a psychology student "extern" working under a fully qualified psychotherapist

Ah, yes, I considered that option, but didn't readily find it here. Kudos for finding resources that fit (more time, less money since less time, less money, same or more quality isn't available :twisted: ).

Persephone29 wrote:
(clean date 9-25-2013) … I hope this next month goes fast for you, although I know it won't. It only goes fast if something horrible happens (it did for us and the time when I was in trouble for telling everyone off flew by), but I don't wish that for you. I wish for you to be satisfied with your results and feel they are an accurate reflection of you. {{{ :heart: }}}

Thank you. Congratulations on 6 yrs of "sobriety". Why would BPD be a medicated disorder, but ASD is not? Both are "disorders". I have read some ASD folks do use meds, but perhaps for co-existing conditions, like ADHD. I haven't looked into it yet and am sure there are plenty of posts on this board... all in good time. My NT husband is concerned about my recent over reactivity given the work stress I am under. I would like to pursue more natural means first.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 6:35 am

BiPolar is considered more “serious,” in general, than ASD in the psychological-medical community.

BiPolar is seen as something that, untreated, could be dangerous to one’s self or others.

Therefore, meds are routinely prescribed for BiPolar.

ASDs are not seen as being necessarily dangerous to one’s self or others if left untreated; hence, meds are not routinely prescribed for it.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 8:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
ASDs are not seen as being necessarily dangerous to one’s self or others if left untreated; hence, meds are not routinely prescribed for it.

Also, as far as I am aware, there just aren't any medications that have been approved for treatment of ASD per se.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 8:06 am

UPDATE: 2nd and last part of assessment a few days ago...

OK, just finished my part. The report is due in 2 weeks or so. It is fairly stressful thinking about all the stuff I wanted to convey, that I did not... could not? I was able to share a bit of this concern to my psychiatrist and he assured me that he is very skilled in what he does and would get what he needs.

So I am left marveling at the visual and some academic skills I have (that were apparent) and trying not to beat myself up for the lack of everything else (that was apparent). I told him that I know the "right" way to behave (e.g. confident), but I just can't get there (e.g. I freak out)... and it's frustrating.

My new mantra: different, different, flow here, challenge there... (and needing EMDR to get over wrong, wrong). I think my stress was very obvious this time. I really wanted to talk (extrovert) and as usual made a mess of it (AS or ?).

I get the report in two weeks, he hinted that perhaps my former Bipolar Disorder diagnosis no longer applies (and never did). My husband is a little miffed that previously I was potentially misdiagnosed and incorrectly treated. I said "near everyone was" (meaning in my age group and extroverts or women in particular).

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 9:51 am

There must be lots on your mind.

Is hard not to think about things.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 10:01 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
teksla wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
BAP? Is it some sort of bread roll used with salads?

BAP = "broad autistic phenotype".

Yes, but... What does that actually mean? As in... Well. I know aspergers and autism... Which then seemed to be catagorised as high functioning autism and classic autism... BAP is new to me.

BAP is essentially when someone has a lot of symptoms/traits of autism but dont qualify for a diagnosis. For example if their daily life isnt impaired or if they dont have enough traits for a diagnosis.

It's essentially "Autism Lite"

Ah. Words that make sense! Thank you Teksla. Now that makes sense to me. I may be a BAP too. Hahahahah! I just had visions of saying "Hello everybody. I'm a BAP" and walking off with a grin on my face.... Haha. Sorry. I have too much sense of humour... I think it is funny....
Oh... If I am assessed and found to be a BAP, I just have to do that. It would be soo funny! Look on strangers faces if I do that and walk off... But I would have to do it somewhere where no one knows me.... :mrgreen:

My greatest apologies to all BAPs out there. I am not making fun of you. I am making fun of the term used.

Sorry everyone. I will behave. Honest! It was the silly thought that I had when I thought "I could be a BAP" and I almost had the giggles... And I could so easily be a BAP rather then having ASD... It is just the name cheers me up as I can add my humour to it.

In the US a "BAP" is a "Black American Princess" ( derived from the earlier slang term "JAP"- Jewish American princess). I suppose that both terms are a bit 90's and passe', but even so... if a White dude were to call himself a "BAP" it would be rather confusing. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 10:30 am

Not heard the reasons for the name. The term BAP is new to me as it is only through this site that I discovered it. I thought it was hillarious to have a classification called BAP. I thought "Couldn't they have thought of a different word?"

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 10:38 am

naturalplastic wrote:
In the US a "BAP" is a "Black American Princess" ( derived from the earlier slang term "JAP"- Jewish American princess). I suppose that both terms are a bit 90's and passe', but even so... if a White dude were to call himself a "BAP" it would be rather confusing. :lol:

And very AS-like (for a -US- AS-BAP person to call themselves "BAP" and not know the more common US-social-BAP term; I wonder how many AS-BAP would be considered US-social-BAP)

LOL (at my own ignorance). I know there are a lot of social acronyms, and I touch (but am not "in") a lot of social circles, so I let the acronyms flow over me and don't recall them. It's the partial truths of implications that get me... every time. Example: I often feel "single", but am "married".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 9:09 am

BAP is "Broad Autism Phenotype."

It is used for people who have some autistic-type symptoms----but who would not meet the diagnostic criteria for autism. There are "broadened" criteria for those folks, over folks with full-blown autism. It is not an official diagnosis.

It's somewhat similar in some ways to what "PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified)" was under the DSM-IV diagnostic manual.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 11:30 pm

When was BAP introduced. I'd never heard of it before this thread.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 8:27 am

Antrax wrote:

The earliest reference I find in a 8.5-min online search is 2006:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 006-0299-3 (The Broad Autism Phenotype Questionnaire)
and 2009: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2746421/ (Defining Key Features of the Broad Autism Phenotype).

IsabelleFoster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2019, 10:55 am

SharonB wrote:
Antrax wrote:

The earliest reference I find in a 8.5-min online search is 2006:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 006-0299-3 (The Broad Autism Phenotype Questionnaire)
and 2009: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2746421/ (Defining Key Features of the Broad Autism Phenotype).

wow, it`s quite interesting, thanks)