I'm so prone to doing this-anyone else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 6:29 am

Quote:
Does anyone else have trouble with this? When I am, for example, walking at the grocery store and there is someone coming toward me, I always wind up going the wring way. Like instead of going in the direction that would put me out of the oncoming person's path, I go in the direction that puts me right in their way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comm ... wrong_way/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

Have never ever done that.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 1:47 pm

That happens to me a lot. I have a real knack for being in the way no matter how much I try not to be.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm

I've spent 63 years getting in everyone else's way. Never understood how I manage to be so consistent.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2019, 2:24 pm

I believe it's called Costcosis.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 2:28 pm

Canadian Penguin wrote:
I believe it's called Costcosis.
Congratulations! You have won the Internet!

:thumright:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 3:43 pm

I find everyone does that, not just in stores but in the street too. I've become skilled at not doing this, as I plan which way I'm going to pass them in advance. But sometimes it can be unavoidable.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I find everyone does that, not just in stores but in the street too. I've become skilled at not doing this, as I plan which way I'm going to pass them in advance. But sometimes it can be unavoidable.

Really?

Once or twice a year you meet someone in a hallway, and youturn right when the approaching person turns left, and then both do the opposite, and both keep running into each other, and both laugh. That happens. But that's not the same thing as what the OP is talking about.

If I go down an aisle in a grocery store, and person who isn't even looking at me is a little to my left, I will go right to go around them. I wont intend to go right but (because of some mental quirk) go left instead, and go right into their path. And I don't observe other folks do that.

Not to put the OP down, mind you. I am sure I do other types of goofy s**t. But not that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:34 pm

In America we drive on the right side of the road. And we seem to unconsciously walk the same way. Walk down the right side of a store aisle to avoid "oncoming traffic".

You Brits drive on the left. Maybe that's why you all cant get your act together when you walk around in stores! :lol:
Maybe walking on the right is the normal instinctive "default setting" for humans, and you all mess up your heads because you drive on the left.

Just kidding.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 5:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Really?

Once or twice a year you meet someone in a hallway, and youturn right when the approaching person turns left, and then both do the opposite, and both keep running into each other, and both laugh. That happens. But that's not the same thing as what the OP is talking about.

If I go down an aisle in a grocery store, and person who isn't even looking at me is a little to my left, I will go right to go around them. I wont intend to go right but (because of some mental quirk) go left instead, and go right into their path. And I don't observe other folks do that.

Not to put the OP down, mind you. I am sure I do other types of goofy s**t. But not that.

In that case I am not prone to doing this.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2019, 8:35 pm

Yep, I'm in someone's way everywhere, it seems. I try not to be but don't seem to go the right way or be fast enough, and I tend to freeze in my tracks if someone is bearing down on me too quickly. People have sometimes grabbed my arm and physically moved me out of their path.