Finding Zoom videoconferencing exhausting? Me too!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Ulf
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2020, 10:20 pm

Since the big lockdown, we’ve been Zoom videoconferencing with the kids, mine scattered around three countries and hers all in one country. Ever time I’m ready to finish far sooner than my lovely (NT but very attuned and understanding) partner. She has observed to me that she sees that I’m exhausted by more than a few minutes of Zoom-ness. She used to say the same about my work day lol. Now I’m reading about Zoom fatigue and the extra effort it requires of NT’s (lol - welcome to our world) in reading others, identifying whose turn it is to talk, picking up on social cues, etc and the extra attention and effort required. Fortunately, I don’t have to have work meetings on Zoom so it’s just keeping the sense of family together. Anyone else got some thoughts on the emergence of Zoom fatigue? I’m sure some of it is pandemic anxiety and cabin fever but this other aspect seems important too.
Ulf :D

Natta syng sine songar - Night sings its songs Jon Fosse

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 10:31 pm

I've read countless stories from autistic people who are having meltdowns about Zoom / video conferences. People are uncomfortable being on camera or feeling self-conscious with any number of people watching and judging them. People are melting down because of the sensory overload when their partners are talking on Zoom all day, or having their personal space invaded (e.g., some people's partners are filming in bedrooms or small rooms with them in the background trying to have some peace and quiet, with no ability to get away).

I haven't had to do it myself and nor would I. I've only ever done videoconferences or facetime with my psychologist (once) or my doctor (in the past two weeks). I don't do Skype or any other form of facetime ever. If my job required me to suddenly have meetings on an internet camera I'd need to quit my job on a mental health leave. I'm glad that my family and my boyfriend don't do facetime or expect me to chat on video because there's just no way I could do that.

Meetings are bad enough in real life, let alone in the privacy of my home.

You have my sympathies. I would be unable to even try Zoom with my loved ones.

If you google "Zoom Exhaustion" you'll find lots of articles but most have the paywall so I didn't know which to link.

It's not a natural way to communicate with others and our brains know it.