Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Dec 2019, 2:33 am

I have read somewhere that Autistic people can have strange accents. I am not British, though I have had multiple people mistake me for one. Have you ever experienced something like this?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2019, 10:54 am

My accent is New York.

It might have been more “robotic” when I was younger.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2019, 4:35 pm

I grew up in New York City, but talk more like my parents, who grew up in Pennsylvania and Iowa.

(I vaguely recall reading somewhere that talking like one's parents, rather than talking like the other kids at one's school, is common among autistic people.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 1:03 am

A lot of people think that I'm British and there are also a lot of people who ask if I'm German or Austrian. I guess I sound a combination of both.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 3:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
A lot of people think that I'm British and there are also a lot of people who ask if I'm German or Austrian. I guess I sound a combination of both.

Used to get that all the time .. thoughht was some eurotrash ..loolz.. English mix. Of stuff... and now realize , I do speak differently , seems words I learned to use are not the normal phraseology for common parlance .. just never got thae hang of dumbing down. my language. Much to the chargrene of many people in supposably educated positions. Even my spelling can be off but use language. okish ,I think.

where ever you go ,there you are

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 4:44 am

I was told I sound like a foreigner on multiple occasions but wouldn't specify. Nowadays people tend to assume I am from Ukraine because a lot of them moved to Poland recently.
I speak Polish (I'm native speaker) and my grammar is really good but the melody and pronunciation sounds off, especially if I am overwhelmed or stressed. I am also often searching for the right word.
Knowing 3 other languages (English, Japanese and German) also makes it odd because I might use the pronunciation from a different language accidentally. Or say a foreign word intentionally - because I can't remember the Polish one.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 8:22 am

This is common. People think I am putting on some weird act.

I am a Southerner and have a Southern accent (not a drawly lazy one but still) and I tend to speak sometimes, especially when passionate about something, with what can only be described as a "Transatlantic" or "Received English" accent. It's not been heard much since the early 1900s--it's the way people used to have to talk for distance telephony, and the way they had to speak when making recordings on early technology.

When I'm trying to be precise and not upset people I end up modulating into something more like a faintly British accent. It's weird.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2020, 10:33 am

I've always been one to adapt an accent to those around me. Southern accent when I'm in the South, Canadian accent when I'm in Canada, Scottish accent when in Scotland, and a New York accent when I'm in New York. The accents come and go as I enter and leave those areas. Maybe not a full blown accent, but at least a notable inflection, away from my normal voice and toward that area's specific accent. Even my use of words can change a bit (saying "Cheers" instead of "thanks" when in the UK, saying "y'all" instead of "you" when in North Carolina as examples).

It seems I naturally mimic what I hear from those around me, rather than keep a constant way of speaking. It's natural for me, probably something related to my ASD, but seemingly a rare thing for anyone to do. I recall when I was very young, I found many other people more interesting than myself, so in wanting to be more interesting, I talked like those others who seemed more interesting. This would even happen when I'd watch TV shows or listen to sports on the radio, I'd start talking with an accent similar to one of the characters or commentators during the program and shortly thereafter, then resume my natural way of speaking the next day.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2020, 10:45 am

I also have a tendency to mimic accents - after listening to someone who has an accent I'll just start unconsciously talking the same way. I've had people assume I'm from other states, or ask me what accent I have, even when I think I'm talking normally. When I was young I did a British accent a lot, and occasionally still lapse into it.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 10:48 am

JimSpark wrote:
It seems I naturally mimic what I hear from those around me, rather than keep a constant way of speaking. It's natural for me, probably something related to my ASD, but seemingly a rare thing for anyone to do. I recall when I was very young, I found many other people more interesting than myself, so in wanting to be more interesting, I talked like those others who seemed more interesting. This would even happen when I'd watch TV shows or listen to sports on the radio, I'd start talking with an accent similar to one of the characters or commentators during the program and shortly thereafter, then resume my natural way of speaking the next day.

This.

Expect in my case it doesn't go away. If I pick up something it stays with me forever so my voice (and body language) is a mix of random stuff I heard/seen somewhere. I am especially prone to mimic people/characters I like.
For example I will use a smile from my favorite character from a TV show and say something weird that my best friend often says, with exactly same intonation and speed then proceed to use the country language of my grandma followed by some Japanese "ne?".

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 10:53 am

My accent is typical to the region although some of my family members have a more country-sounding accent. I tend to be more proper in how I say things than the people I grew up with. I think that’s because I read a lot.

When I was a young teen, a friend said that she felt like she needed to use a dictionary when conversing with me.

Considering the source, that probably isn’t saying a whole lot...

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jan 2020, 11:07 am

Some people think I talk strange and people sometimes mistake me for someone from the UK or elsewhere as I don't have a traditional South African English accent. Occasionally people don't "get" my intonation when I say certain words. I sound strange to my own ears when I play a video of myself.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 1:50 pm

Unlike my relatives, I never lost my West Indian accent when I came to the US, and I've been here for 46 years. I attribute that to poor assimilation with the "new world." If, all along, it was an autistic thing, that's news to me.