19 Jan 2020, 1:59 pm

Do you see people who need relationships
1) as weaklings?
2) pathetic followers?
3) who can not think on their own?
4) wise people?
5) control hungry monsters?
6) regular Joes?
7) unable to grasp big picture aka their own natural mortality?
8-infinity)??? Something else. Please tell us

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 6:15 am

Regular Joes. Humanity is a social species, and solitary confinement is recognized as not only inhumane, but quite damaging. Perhaps you are feeling at odds with a nature that is sociable, but frustrated by little success at making connections, and wishing you could stop trying.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 6:26 am

My instinct is "wise people". That said, although my social initiative is near 0 relative to an NT, I am highly "sociable" (I'm the overshare, overtouch type). I find the more stress I am under the more social support I need. As Dear_one notes, it's been frustrating not many other folks socialize as I do and that the ones who do, may have social initiatives near 0 like me, so we need someone to set up a regular meeting for us or else some mechanism to get together. :?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 3:00 pm

I just see people who need relationships as people who need relationships. I don't see the point of sitting in judgement by calling it anything else. Personally I don't absolutely need a relationship in order to survive, and I don't suppose anybody does, but when I've been without one I've always felt that something is missing.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

I see them as regular people, I feel like I'm the odd one for not needing or wanting one. I don't view myself as superior or inferior to them in any way, I just see it as a fact - they need relationships with other people in order to be happy, and I need to be alone to be happy. There are costs and benefits to both.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"