Self Dxers Who Don't Want a Diagnosis; Why Not?

Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

revlar
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2020, 8:49 am

I talked about getting a diagnosis from a psychologist and explained my situation. He talked me through my reasoning of why I wanted it when I have a good job, can function well in public, and don't require any aid. It led me to reason that I only wanted it so I can prove to people close to me that I want to tell that they can't deny it. I don't believe that reason is worth all the money and time spent on getting a diagnosis, and also I shouldn't care if they believe me or not. That's why I'm sticking to being self-diagnosed for now, especially for, I feel, getting ripped off into already paying for an MRI and EEG.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 9:31 am

I think the fact that some people have symptoms but have a good job , and function well in public , raises the question of when something should , or shouldn't , be seen as a disability .

It also makes me wonder why anyone would go down the route of being assessed in that situation .

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 11:52 am

I just see myself as different.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2020, 12:27 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I think the fact that some people have symptoms but have a good job , and function well in public , raises the question of when something should , or shouldn't , be seen as a disability .

It also makes me wonder why anyone would go down the route of being assessed in that situation .

Intellectual curiosity, maybe?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 12:47 pm

strings wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Intellectual curiosity, maybe?

Could be . I suppose it's like those online quizzes people do .

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 2:19 pm

firemonkey wrote:

Personally I think that those situations aren't true autism, but could be BAP. One of the mandatory criteria for diagnosing any disability, including autism, is that it impacts your daily functioning, and you need the diagnosis to get at least some outside support. Without that need, you're right, autism wouldn't be a disability.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Feb 2020, 2:37 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Personally I think that those situations aren't true autism, but could be BAP. One of the mandatory criteria for diagnosing any disability, including autism, is that it impacts your daily functioning, and you need the diagnosis to get at least some outside support. Without that need, you're right, autism wouldn't be a disability.

Then there goes something like me: the autism traits themselves are not really disabling but they make other mental health issues present differently and they make me react to mental health treatments differently than if I was NT with the same issues.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 2:44 pm

Jennifer O' Toole's Autism in Heels.

She got a diagnosis at 34 despite graduating from an Ivy League school and being a successful mom of three autistic kids.

Read chapter 1 on Amazon. She wanted to know that she wasn't a total failure at being human.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 3:03 pm

firemonkey wrote:

Ok so difference and disability...

One point to note is how supportive the environment is.

Give me a suitable secure job, affordable cost of living, secure accommodation, a predictable routine, reduced exposure to stressful situations, advocates, sunglasses and noise cancelling headphones and I reckon my functioning level could improve. Is it still a disability if accomodations can improve functioning by removing barriers?

People tend to forget how easily life can change, both for the benefit and to the detriment of the persons way of life.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 3:12 pm

@Amity . Good question . I guess many favouring the social model approach would say no . However while accommodations can help in some ways , and should be implemented , for many they're not a panacea .

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 3:47 pm

So the excuses to not get an official diagnosis and remain only self-identified are primarily financial, with mistrust of appropriately trained and licensed mental-health professionals running a close second, and inconvenience and doubtful outcome tied for third.

The expense is understandable. For what I paid those university professors, I could have spent a rather pleasant weekend on the Las Vegas strip.

Does the lack of trust in professionals arise from people’s own certitude of their self-made ‘diagnoses’ coupled with the knowledge that those same professionals may have a differing opinion that may differ from the person’s own self-identification?

And what if the person can afford a second (or third, fourth, fifth, et cetera...) opinion, and all of those professional opinions disagree with the person’s own opinion while agreeing with each other’s?

In my own opinion, if you can afford a professional diagnosis, get one; just be prepared to have the professionals disagree with your own self-identification. If you can’t afford a professional diagnosis, just be satisfied that your own self-identification explains everything to you.

Good luck with that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 6:32 pm

I was nervous when I got the letter with the assessment date . The thought "What if they say I'm not?" crossed my mind several times . I went, and I've got the dx, but I won't deny that I was really anxious and nervous going through the assessment process . I'm not a brave person . I can often go into avoidant mode .

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 6:43 pm

You are a very very courageous person. That's why you survived all that you did. And even if you weren't diagnosed, you would be the same person that you are today.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 7:03 pm

B19 wrote:
And even if you weren't diagnosed, you would be the same person that you are today.

That's a good point . A label describes a part of us , not the whole of us .

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 7:20 pm

If I spent $1500 on an official diagnoses in 2010 instead of putting it a stock fund I'd have $5000 less in my retirement account. Having enough money to retire reduces stress when you are over 50.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2020, 8:31 pm

I self diagnosed just this year. I had surgery in 2018 for an illness that impaired my thinking, and during my recovery I noticed how different my thinking was compared to before my illness (I am now more "normal"). In reading about autism I finally found the words explaining the confusion and stresses I've felt my entire life. I am still emotionally stunted but I am a little better at understanding people now. I don't think I would be diagnosed autistic if I was tested today (I've modified my behaviour too much) but I am positive I would have been diagnosed as a child if they knew then what they know now about females and masking. Even now I score 32 on the autism test, and only 11 on EQ test.

I don't want a diagnosis because I don't think I'd get one now, and what good would it do. I've read enough to be pretty certain I have asperger's and, I feel much better about myself now. I finally have the words and can now reason things through rather than just feeling unsure and anxious all the time. I finally understand that I am not broken, and there are others out there like me.