Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2020, 3:47 pm

Them: It's unhealthy for someone of your age to be so socially isolated!

Me: Okay *works really hard to get out more, make friends, get into a routine with it all and enjoy it*

Them: You need to stop all forms of unnecessary socialization and keep 2 metres away from everyone.

Me: Image

Being serious though, I hope the social distancing measures help.

Trogluddite wrote:
Rather paradoxically, I'm having the opposite problem - I can't get distant enough.

Since social distancing has been advised, and many social functions and institutions have been shut down, I'm really struggling to deal with the noise from neighbours who are home all day with their radio/TV blaring and who's kids are temporarily off school while poorly classmates are tested to check whether they may have spread the virus (a reasonable enough precaution, of course).

Even though it's still rather wintry here, I've seriously been thinking about packing my tent and camping up on the moors for a few days just to get some peace and quiet.

This hasn't been a problem for me yet, but I'm expecting lots of loud music when the sun comes out. Contemplating buying earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones in preparation.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2020, 4:29 pm

Good to see you, Troglodyte.

If I didn't already live in the woods, I'd certainly be out camping. I'm sorry you have noisy kids around.

Actually, we are going out canoeing this weekend. The trip was planned before the c-v hit. I'll probably see more people on the river than I ever do at home. I haven't seen anyone but my husband in weeks, except for an early morning trip to the grocery store and only saw about a dozen people briefly there, all careful keeping social distance.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 8:00 am

The term is a good example of the challenges (is that a politically correct term?) NTs face, specifically the challenge they show in their use of language, in particular a lack of precision and awareness that words have meanings and need to mean what they say or write.

What they appear to mean is physical distance - a six feet / 2 metre separation at which risk of airborn person to person transmission is very significantly reduced and social concentration - persons per room or persons per unit area.

They forget that Social is not restricted to in person contact and can be facilitated at often much deeper and more significant levels in writing, with technologies from letter and post up to the very latest electronic means.

It is tragic we have yet to develop a form of ABA for people with NT conditions, tailored to the challenges NT people face to help them fit into our world successfully :twisted:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 10:06 am

It feels horrible. Five years of hard work to become more independent down the drain. I don't know how much, if anything, I'll get back. Fortunately, I have friends calling me to ask how I'm doing and to provide updates on activities. That feels good.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2020, 10:22 am

I'm actually enjoying having a lot of me-time, and I'm getting a lot of projects/schoolwork done. I do like people, but I need a lot of my me-time or I go crazy. Granted, the circumstances aren't so great, and I hope the bad can improve, and the virus dies down.

Some plans get canceled, but I'm a generally flexible person.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 10:27 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
I think it's an overreaction to close all non-essential companies, limit the number of customers in the grocery store at a time. Close schools.

It's really not. This will kill a lot of people, including many people who don't have coronavirus as the hospitals get stretched past their limit. I fully expect people this pandemic will kill people I know, either family or work colleagues, and it'll likely be the hardest challenge I'll face in my lifetime. I live in Australia and work in the ER, and the response so far by the government has been far too tepid for my liking.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 10:32 am

Choose one of the following:

a) "Remember back in the spring of 2020 when we all thought the government was over-reacting to CoViD-19?"

Or

b) "That's it. He's gone. Time is 17:37. Date is April 7, 2020. I'll go talk to the family..."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 11:49 am

I have a fever, and am officially in mandatory home quarantine until my test results come back :D
I suspect it's just a sinus infection. But in either case, good thing I like pasta and rice.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 2:34 pm

I don't feel great right now. I think it's anxiety.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 2:50 pm

Even by the very nature of AS/HFA (where social distancing is natural), I sometimes find that I'm making adjustments like everybody else!

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2020, 3:29 pm

Honestly I don't mind. Women nowadays simply ignore me anyway and other men end up rejecting me and bully me. Forced Social distancing actually makes me feel better about the fact that I never have friends or a romantic partner.

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2020, 3:59 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Even by the very nature of AS/HFA (where social distancing is natural), I sometimes find that I'm making adjustments like everybody else!

I'm not sure about this. Seems to me many or maybe most people on here with Asperger Syndrome ether have friends or romantic partners or atleast have a desire to have relationships. Seems to me that social distancing/not desiring relationships would more associated/natural with people with HFA compared to people with Asperger Syndrome.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2020, 4:54 pm

I may be the odd one out here, but I really can't wait for mandated social distancing to be over. While I very much do value having me-time, if I don't get at least some in-person social interaction with people I don't live with, I start getting depressed from the loneliness, which is slowly happening as we post. I really hope we get a reprieve from this in the summer, even if it starts back up again in autumn.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Joseki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2020, 2:43 pm

Social distancing for me has meant the opposite of something appealing to my tendencies. Instead of being able to hide in my space at work all by myself for most of the day and control, for the most part, when I see other people, now I am basically locked in a house with other people and not a lot of room to get away from each other. I've been trying to get out to walk around the yard by myself as much as possible. I enjoy the occasional interaction with others. But this 24/7 stuff is tough, even if I really like the people in my house.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2020, 12:37 am

I have recently made a video about "Social Distancing", since I am from Australia, in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic I do indeed support social distancing.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

Mouka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2020, 2:14 am

On one hand I absolutely LOVE this social distancing stuff. I don't have to deal with family members just showing up, I don't look like a weirdo when I give people wide berths, and my husband has been at home for over a month now because he gets paid whether he's physically at his job or not right now soooo my usual household chores have been cut in half. Good stuff.

On the other hand, it's super distressing hearing everyone talk about how horrible living life like this is. They're all talking about increases in depression and anti-depressant meds, increases in drinking, etc... all these guides and self-help apps and stuff to help people "cope with social isolation"... and I'm just here like "Wow, is it really that terrible being me?"

Being introverted, I get a lot of "If you just got out more you'd start to like it!" Now the tables are turned.