Page 4 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 4:55 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Thats the thing, engineering doesnt Interest me but jobs with other people actually do. Sometimes i doubt that im autistic und maybe its just social anxiety.

Honestly, I'm also on the spectrum and I would still be interested in jobs with other people too.

I work alongside people with Learning Disabilities and Autism.

I love it.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 4:57 pm

Karamazov wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Well im somewhat of a social darwinist.

I thought I was one of those!
Also when I was about your age.
Turns out believing that when you have ASD is a form of intellectual self-sabotage.
I’d recommend dropping it: I did and I’m much happier and more productive (I even have work to go to now!) :D

I don't think so. I have ASD and I'm some elements of social darwinist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 6:35 pm

My dictionary says...

Social Darwinism (n): The theory that individuals, groups, and peoples are subject to the same Darwinian laws of natural selection as plants and animals.  Now largely discredited, social Darwinism was advocated by Herbert Spencer and others in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was used to justify political conservatism, imperialism, and racism and to discourage intervention and reform.

:eew: How could anyone be proud of that?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 6:54 pm

I'm employed. Worst part about it is the commute, though I don't have to worry about that again until the whole COVID-19 thing subsides since I've been working from home the last week and a half.

#palestinianlivesmatter

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 7:07 pm

I worked at 7 different jobs in my lifetime. There were times that I worked two jobs at once.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 7:07 pm

Taranos262 wrote:
It seems to me that most autists are unemployed, live either by their parents, live on welfare, or disability payments. My question ist why is that? Why ist it so Hard for most Autists to geht even a simple job? What makes it exactly so difficult? And what would have to change that more autists could find a job?

Hell no. I've been employed continuously since age 19 in three different cities, and I'm 60 now. I work as a communications electronics technician.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 7:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
My dictionary says...

Social Darwinism (n): The theory that individuals, groups, and peoples are subject to the same Darwinian laws of natural selection as plants and animals.  Now largely discredited, social Darwinism was advocated by Herbert Spencer and others in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was used to justify political conservatism, imperialism, and racism and to discourage intervention and reform.

Don’t forget the advocacy of eugenics and dodgy NSDAP links! :D

Our genetically defined superiors must know and remember the fullness of their heritage. :lol:

(Drawing on own experience of falling for this now)

Guys, is there any chance you might be into this as a substitute for actually achieving anything?

Cos that was the case with me before I snapped out of it.

Fun historical fact: it was also the case with the guy the writing of whom’s name invokes Godwin’s Law.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 8:34 pm

social darwinism......... brings to mind the writing on the Georgia Guidestones.
Then you might realize the US Constitution and the bill of rights. Had a bigger Image in mind possibly
Concerning US Citizens ?

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 8:36 pm

I worked full-time in one career for many years. I burned out and nearly died, mind you, but I did it.

:P

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 9:14 pm

I've had a lot of jobs in the past. First was as a golf caddy when I was about 12.
Have worked in a scrapyard searching (through mountains of metal) for non-ferrous scrap, briefly as a commercial fisherman, numerous gas-station/convenience store jobs, telemarketing (sucks and I'm terrible at it), inbound telemarketing filling out credit card applications, delivery driving, dish washing, yard work, general labour, probably others.
I've never managed to hold a job for six months. Usually quit or fired within three months. Sometimes only days.
Never managed to make enough to do more than just survive, really. Or managed to figure out how to do anything more than just barely survive. Not sure if I've ever had anything that would qualify as "gainful employment".
Currently on SSI.
Honestly I'm pretty scared of getting a job, even if someone was hiring for something I'm capable of and was willing to hire me. I feel like I'd probably get the job, lose my SSI because of it, and then lose my job and my place in a fairly short amount of time and end up spending a few more years on the streets before finding my way out of that mess again.
I really don't like being on SSI, but it is far better than some of the alternatives, and until or unless I can figure out something better I'm really thankful to have it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 9:41 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I worked full-time in one career for many years. I burned out and nearly died, mind you, but I did it.

:P

yikes,,,,, glad you survived . good job !

where ever you go ,there you are

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2020, 1:45 am

Fnord wrote:
My dictionary says...

Well i was once far right too, and a unironic fascist.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 2:02 am

Taranos262 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My dictionary says...

Well i was once far right too, and a unironic fascist.

Oh dear! 8O

Out of curiosity: what was it that led you to abandon those attitudes?

And would you characterise yourself as “recovered” or “recovering”?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 6:20 am

Here's a lovely paragraph from a review of "The Sand Pebbles" by Richard McKenna:
"There was always a clique of old hands in an engine room, and they always wanted a new man to learn from them as much as they wanted him to know and wait his time for admission to the clique. It always disturbed them to see Jake Holman learning by himself. They were afraid he would learn too much and have power over them, and they were right. It was rough on them. They couldn't try to learn more themselves because they had already spent too many years pretending that they already knew it all. They couldn't openly stop Holman from learning, because learning the plant was supposed to be good. So they always tried by the weight of their silent disapproval to force Jake Holman to stay as fumbling and ignorant as they were, and nothing in the world could spur Jake Holman on more than that silent disapproval. The machinery was always on Jake Holman's side, because machinery was never taken in by pretense and ignorance."

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 11:26 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
What are the specific social issues to overcome that prevent or make it difficult an for aspie man to ask a woman?

Women typically give nonverbal clues that they will accept the advances of a man.
Aspies typically don't understand them. Miss them entirely.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 11:47 am

I am currently employed and have been employed in various jobs for the past 34 years. The only two exceptions to my continuous employment was my first year of college and six months of traveling.

After reaching the age of 50, working isn't becoming easier, it's becoming harder.

I feel like my work life is like running a marathon: It was easy when I was young and has gradually gotten more difficult. I feel like I'm mentally exhausted and I no longer want to work a job in which interaction with other coworkers and customers. I'm past the point of burnout with that. I don't know how much longer I can continue on "business as usual".