Page 5 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 11:52 am

Magna wrote:
I am currently employed and have been employed in various jobs for the past 34 years. The only two exceptions to my continuous employment was my first year of college and six months of traveling.

After reaching the age of 50, working isn't becoming easier, it's becoming harder.

I feel like my work life is like running a marathon: It was easy when I was young and has gradually gotten more difficult. I feel like I'm mentally exhausted and I no longer want to work a job in which interaction with other coworkers and customers. I'm past the point of burnout with that. I don't know how much longer I can continue on "business as usual".

There is absolutely no way I could manage working anymore after autistic burnout (not to mention CPTSD). Ageing doesn't help. When your body has hit maximum overload, it's time to call it a day. In my case I was hospitalised for nervous breakdowns and the total collapse of my adrenal system from stress. I eventually suffered a stroke.

Screwing with our health isn't worth it.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2020, 5:27 pm

I read somewhere that 75% of autistics are unemployed. I think that number is wrong. I know several people with autism that are productive and extremely valuable members in the work force. My father used to be one of them before retirement. He's not diagnosed but it's obvious he's on the spectrum. He worked alone taking care of a loading central and kept them from needing a computer system because he could keep everything in his head.

I have two-three colleagues who are on the spectrum (one retired). One did an awesome job and was the only one trusted to do the inventory for a company that keeps more than 80 000 different products. Another one had some strengths in loyalty to the company, would always do exactly what he was told and respected scheduels. Has a bit of problem with overworking some situations - probably some sort of OCD com morbid.

Third one is well suited to doing boring tasks that nobody else likes doing. He's very secure within the walls of the company but has trouble outside. Often tries to get away as quickly as possible once he's checked out from work. No official diagnos, but you've got to be really stupid to not notice there's something going on - and the fact that his son has a diagnosis only confirms it. That son is also an interesting case. He's a really really skilled programmer. Google and Yahoo were desperate to get him. They didn't even care about doing an interview when they saw his performance on the computer. The guy turned them down and went working in Prague instead, trying his best to strengthen his weaker sides by doing some kind of stand up comedy thing called Toastmasters. I think they're aimed at autistic people.
Either way, he's an impossible case when it comes to handling money and has no concept of time. Parents sometimes need to go and look for him (and he's in a different country) to help him out.

So my experience is that these people have an easier time at work than outside of work. And honestly, there's more to life than social skills. To me, people who can't even spend an hour alone are the ones in need of a diagnosis.

I believe the attitude is changing towards the autistics and more companies sees the benefits that comes with ND. In the near future we will probably see a lot more opportunities.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 6:04 pm

I've been unemployed since the year 2000. Not sure how I've managed to survive since then, but have recently been able to claim a half-pension from my old job, which gives me just over £900 per month.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 6:10 pm

I just made the transition to working remotely now that only essential businesses can stay open in my state.
I managed it with minimal assistance for IT and my boss, who could devote their time toward helping other employees.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 6:26 pm

:P

Jakki wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
People are hired not just on the basis of ability to do the work, but also to maintain the feeling that the workers are a friendly team. Since there are not enough jobs to go around, that leaves out the misfits. Still, my main barrier to employment was wanting to do good work, not just survive. This led to considerable self employment.

This undoubtedly is prolly best outcome for most Aspies , but finding that niche thing , that allows for self employment may ? go beyond average aspie experience , but certainly is not unattainable.. congrats on your self employment.
In the age of blogging and u tube many people have managed a virtual self employment , it seems to me.

If engaging the retail world , some may need a higher degree of masking or just
trying to find work arounds and see what interests yourself , With that same written above thing , as following the lead of a team , with training , am feeling this can be done.

Well so much for my own advise here, it was based on a normal societal work environment. am quite sure some , somewhere have managed to maintain successful employment or income , throughout this situation the USA is in .

where ever you go ,there you are

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2020, 6:55 pm

Jon81 wrote:
I read somewhere that 75% of autistics are unemployed. I think that number is wrong. I know several people with autism that are productive and extremely valuable members in the work force. My father used to be one of them before retirement. He's not diagnosed but it's obvious he's on the spectrum. He worked alone taking care of a loading central and kept them from needing a computer system because he could keep everything in his head.

I have two-three colleagues who are on the spectrum (one retired). One did an awesome job and was the only one trusted to do the inventory for a company that keeps more than 80 000 different products. Another one had some strengths in loyalty to the company, would always do exactly what he was told and respected scheduels. Has a bit of problem with overworking some situations - probably some sort of OCD com morbid.

Third one is well suited to doing boring tasks that nobody else likes doing. He's very secure within the walls of the company but has trouble outside. Often tries to get away as quickly as possible once he's checked out from work. No official diagnos, but you've got to be really stupid to not notice there's something going on - and the fact that his son has a diagnosis only confirms it. That son is also an interesting case. He's a really really skilled programmer. Google and Yahoo were desperate to get him. They didn't even care about doing an interview when they saw his performance on the computer. The guy turned them down and went working in Prague instead, trying his best to strengthen his weaker sides by doing some kind of stand up comedy thing called Toastmasters. I think they're aimed at autistic people.
Either way, he's an impossible case when it comes to handling money and has no concept of time. Parents sometimes need to go and look for him (and he's in a different country) to help him out.

So my experience is that these people have an easier time at work than outside of work. And honestly, there's more to life than social skills. To me, people who can't even spend an hour alone are the ones in need of a diagnosis.

I believe the attitude is changing towards the autistics and more companies sees the benefits that comes with ND. In the near future we will probably see a lot more opportunities.

Actually I think the unemployment rate along autistic people is actually 80+%.

http://www.thinkingautismguide.com/2018 ... o.html?m=1

Honestly,I wouldn't get my hopes up that people on the Autism Spectrum will get that much more opportunities anytime soon,if ever in our lifetimes.Most of society don't give a sh*t about us.You Kinda tell by the fact that we go through lot bulling/discrimination and barely anyone does anything about it.Many even believe that Autistic people are incapable of working no matter what. How can we expect to get more opportunities in this society when most people don't care about us,and not willing to accommodate us. Also, the Autistic Community isn't big enough to the point where can create our own opportunities,so that's out. Unless a miracle happens,I expect unemployment along Autistic people to be 75 or more percent for the foreseeable future.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 7:22 pm

rick42 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

Honestly,I wouldn't get my hopes up that people on the Autism Spectrum will get that much more opportunities anytime soon,if ever in our lifetimes.Most of society don't give a sh*t about us.You Kinda tell by the fact that we go through lot bulling/discrimination and barely anyone does anything about it.Many even believe that Autistic people are incapable of working no matter what. How can we expect to get more opportunities in this society when most people don't care about us,and not willing to accommodate us. Also, the Autistic Community isn't big enough to the point where can create our own opportunities,so that's out. Unless a miracle happens,I expect unemployment along Autistic people to be 75 or more percent for the foreseeable future.

I think "non-traditional" type work would be an actual better fit for autistic people all across the spectrum, especially if it's a special or focus interest. Think film, computers, remote freelance...

And the two 75/80 unemployment figures are close. It's possible that the rate dropped slightly from some previous time.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 5:34 am

Jon81 wrote:

The number is likely wrong, because it presumably does not include undiagnosed autistic people and undiagnosed autistic people are on average less severely affected or better able to compensate for their impairments. They stayed undiagnosed because they managed to get through school without needing accommodations and because they managed to get a job. They're also on average older and had more time to figure out what works for them. Some autistic people seem to struggle most in their early 20s.

The people you met in real life are also likely a poor representation of the real situation. You'd know an autistic person who lives with their mother, is socially isolated and can't get a job, if you're part of the family or perhaps met them through their autism support group. You'd know an autistic person who is doing well in life, not only if you're part of their family or the rare activity where they do leave their home, but also if you met via work, via a mutual acquaintance or any other way you can also meet an NT. A person who has a bigger social circle is part of the social circle of more people. How many people with X trait are part of a specific social circle or even of the average social circle is a poor representation of how many people with X trait exist, if the trait affects the size of ones social circle.

Likewise this forum does not represent the whole autism spectrum at all. Most of us are not intellectually disabled, have type 1 autism, have sufficient interest in socializing or factual interest in autism and the human mind or in figuring out our own psychology to be on a support forum and have good enough social skills and theory of mind to not come across as blatantly autistic in an online conversation (other than by discussing their symptoms). A lot of the members on this forum have a job and a lot of us are less disabled than the average autistic person.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2020, 7:11 am

I've had lots of jobs over the years. Some for long enough to be considered careers. That said, the proportion of autistic people out of work is usually considered to be significantly higher than that of the general population, backed up by assorted studies over the years and decades.

Part of this may be due to the increased presence of comorbid conditions which may affect people's ability to find and keep jobs. Part of it may be to communication style difficulties. Part of it may be a higher chance of incompatibility with workplaces which are highly social, or simply being "the weird person with no friends" when a company or division is downsizing. It's difficult to get solid numbers for such things.

Taranos262
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2020, 10:04 am

Karamazov wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My dictionary says...

Social Darwinism (n): The theory that individuals, groups, and peoples are subject to the same Darwinian laws of natural selection as plants and animals.  Now largely discredited, social Darwinism was advocated by Herbert Spencer and others in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was used to justify political conservatism, imperialism, and racism and to discourage intervention and reform.

:eew: How could anyone be proud of that?

Well i was once far right too, and a unironic fascist.

Oh dear! 8O

Out of curiosity: what was it that led you to abandon those attitudes?

And would you characterise yourself as “recovered” or “recovering”?

Because im gay, and well they hate gay people.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 10:33 am

Taranos262 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My dictionary says...

Social Darwinism (n): The theory that individuals, groups, and peoples are subject to the same Darwinian laws of natural selection as plants and animals.  Now largely discredited, social Darwinism was advocated by Herbert Spencer and others in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and was used to justify political conservatism, imperialism, and racism and to discourage intervention and reform.

Oh dear! 8O

That would do it!

Although, I suspect in truth they hate people in general, and given enough power and time would gradually kill off the entire species one definable group at a time. 8O

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2020, 11:19 am

NorthWind wrote:
The number is likely wrong, because it presumably does not include undiagnosed autistic people and undiagnosed autistic people are on average less severely affected or better able to compensate for their impairments. They stayed undiagnosed because they managed to get through school without needing accommodations and because they managed to get a job. They're also on average older and had more time to figure out what works for them. Some autistic people seem to struggle most in their early 20s.

The people you met in real life are also likely a poor representation of the real situation. You'd know an autistic person who lives with their mother, is socially isolated and can't get a job, if you're part of the family or perhaps met them through their autism support group. You'd know an autistic person who is doing well in life, not only if you're part of their family or the rare activity where they do leave their home, but also if you met via work, via a mutual acquaintance or any other way you can also meet an NT. A person who has a bigger social circle is part of the social circle of more people. How many people with X trait are part of a specific social circle or even of the average social circle is a poor representation of how many people with X trait exist, if the trait affects the size of ones social circle.

Likewise this forum does not represent the whole autism spectrum at all. Most of us are not intellectually disabled, have type 1 autism, have sufficient interest in socializing or factual interest in autism and the human mind or in figuring out our own psychology to be on a support forum and have good enough social skills and theory of mind to not come across as blatantly autistic in an online conversation (other than by discussing their symptoms). A lot of the members on this forum have a job and a lot of us are less disabled than the average autistic person.

Believe me, I know the difference between high functioning and low functioning. My son is 4 and it's really depressing comparing him within his own group of autistic people. And yes, these people I know of are not some super exceptions who get on well. They have a lot of ongoing problems. The IT guy in Prague is now moving home because he's having trouble taking care of daily tasks. My dad has no life whatsoever. He's only using the internet. No problems executing tasks - he just never get to it.

Intellectual disability is another story. These people might not have the capability to perform tasks. A government is not looking for 0% unemployment in a country because the last percentage cost too much to keep employed. Some might need an assistant getting to work, dressing etc. So there is always going to be a 2-3% of the workforce unemployed. If you are able to find a way of lowering the costs for employment you'd also get more people involved. The job market is always changing and new types of jobs will emerge.

I'm trying to stay as positive as possible about the future.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2020, 11:41 am

rick42 wrote:

If you just look at the school situation - how much is not being done today? When I was growing up there were no such thing as an assistant at school unless you were far behind everyone else. So I'm thinking society is changing towards being more inclusive.

I know things suck when you are in a situation where you feel irrelevant factors are eliminating you from having the same chance as everybody else. I'm 5'5" and used to feel extremely discriminated because women only are attracted by taller men. And this becomes a negative spiral where your mind sets the limits. The one thing I've learned is there's ALWAYS going to be another chance.

So what kind of job would you be interested in having and what problems need to be accommodated for you?

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

Karamazov wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Taranos262 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My dictionary says...

Oh dear! 8O

That would do it!

Although, I suspect in truth they hate people in general, and given enough power and time would gradually kill off the entire species one definable group at a time. 8O

am not liking the reality of the possibility of this .. It is our differences that causes humanity to grow, i think .. just my humble opinion. :scratch: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :cyclops: :clown: :mrgreen: :afro: :tongue:

where ever you go ,there you are

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2020, 10:45 pm

My opinion:

Most people on here never question the system including employment itself. Most never question whether this system and its demands for absolute compromise and conformity is good for our mental health, physical health and for our very soul. In my opinion it is not especially when one has to fake and pretend and force oneself as a square peg into a round hole. I think it is time for something else.

Personally, I think Mona Pereth is on the right track.

Don't you all want to live in a society, area or community where we can be true to ourselves and not have to "Shuck and Jive?" Aren't you all tired of the mealy mouthed, hanking, stomping capitalistic world in which we must be "professional" and a society that says to be ourselves when that is a bald faced lie? Aren't you all tired of being reduced to "resources" and treated as commodities.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:23 am

I'm unemployed but not everyone with autism is.