Do you like anime?
yes 57%  57%  [ 16 ]
no 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 28

latency
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2020, 11:38 am

Just figured this would be a cool thing to check out.
Obviously I like anime.

Found this research to be very funny.
just google "people with an anime profile picture have a higher iq"
(I'm not allowed to post links)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 12:20 pm

I like some anime but usually only certain genres. I like Initial D and Wangan Midnight and I'll probably like something if it's in a fantasy/historic setting. There's also a few manga I'd like to see as anime, Over Rev, Vinland Saga and MF Ghost.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

vaguelyhumanoid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2020, 4:22 pm

I love anime but don't watch as many series as some autistic people do. My favorite anime shows are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Yu Yu Hakusho. I also love Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon movies.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:40 pm

If so, then I, as usual, am in the minority.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:28 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
If so, then I, as usual, am in the minority.

I too am in the minority. I grew up with it because my brother really likes anime but as far as things go now, I don't watch any anime. I watch old shows like Pokemon and Yugioh for nostalgia but that's about it.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 6:02 am

No. Not big on cartoons to begin with. Also, I find Japanese cartoons (and most non-American cartoons in general) to be strange looking. Uncanny valley. Something looks off in the animation.

Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse and Homer Simpson look "normal" to me. Anime looks strange to my eye.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 6:38 am

I like anime, I've been watching them since first seeing Neon Genesis Evangelion back in the 90s. I also have a few light novel series I'm into, and I like to collect posters and more recently figurines. I would consider myself a fairly casual watcher, usually catching a show or two each season on Crunchyroll. The anime I'm most looking forward to at the moment is the second season of Kaguya-sama: Love is War and the third Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel movie.

MyAnimeList link

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2020, 7:29 am

Although I enjoy animated films and tv shows, I’ve never liked anime much. The only anime I’ve seen that I really liked was Akira although the Studio Ghibli films I’ve watched have been pretty good and very imaginative especially Howl’s Moving Castle.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 10:46 am

I like comics, but ignore "cute." I wish I could even find a definition of Pokemon. Animal, vegetable, mineral, ephemeral, or all four?

Nelbel
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2020, 11:18 am

This answer I don't know. I am upset about this subject anime can only be created in Japan. Same with manga. Neither are considered authentic unless created in Japan by someone Japanese. Google it. The definition of anime is Japanese animation and manga is Japanese comics. Many claim this is not true but it is a known truth in Japan. It kind of depresses me because we are still not one species.

:(

“I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”

― Malcolm X

revlar
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2020, 12:13 pm

Nelbel wrote:
This answer I don't know. I am upset about this subject anime can only be created in Japan. Same with manga. Neither are considered authentic unless created in Japan by someone Japanese. Google it. The definition of anime is Japanese animation and manga is Japanese comics. Many claim this is not true but it is a known truth in Japan. It kind of depresses me because we are still not one species.

I think it's wrong for people to say that anime is just Japanese, despite what the definition says. It would be wrong to think so because I see it as an art form. Avatar the Last Airbender is definitely anime even though it's American. My friend not that long ago recommended a Chinese anime to me as really good. I forget the name though. Although, he did refer to it as a "Chinese anime," so idk.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:31 pm

You can sell sparkling wine from anywhere, but Champagne comes from Champagne, France.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:36 pm

I was obsessed with anime in junior high and high school, there were a few specific series I really was into but by the time I graduated, I wasn't as obsessed but still liked it. I'm the same now pretty much. I haven't watched as many series in the past few years but I still really love the art style and think it's cool. I'm more into TV series like The X-Files (which is probably my main special interest right now), Star Trek, and Doctor Who now, but I'll occasionally still read manga and there are a couple of series I still watch for fun but I don't binge watch or obsess over them like I used to.

I however still love Studio Ghibli films and my friend and I watch them all the time when we hang out.

My Tumblr

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 3:28 pm

Nelbel wrote:

Translation: You're butthurt that not all anime fans accept your elitist definition of what anime is and is not.

Excuse me while I enjoy Boondocks and Afro Samurai. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

latency
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2020, 7:51 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
No. Not big on cartoons to begin with. Also, I find Japanese cartoons (and most non-American cartoons in general) to be strange looking. Uncanny valley. Something looks off in the animation.

Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse and Homer Simpson look "normal" to me. Anime looks strange to my eye.

Some animation can look off, such as in jojo's bizarre adventures, It's because they made it with cgi, other animations that looked off to me were mob psycho 100, and an anime that i believe is called the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, It looks like their eyes are in too different valleys

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2020, 7:57 am

I'm astounded that anyone can maintain an interest in fictional worlds when the real one is melting, burning, flooding and sickening around them.