Condition as a defensive response to others' emotions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FeralDreamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2020, 9:16 am

Do you think this condition has anything to do with maybe being a sort of 'defensive response' to being overwhelmed by emotions of other people or an attempt by your brain to deflect them for that purpose?

So I've done some analysis on the way my brain possibly responds to the emotions of others by comparing it to a time when something that caused me extreme emotional distress overpowered some sort of mechanism, or whatever they were.

They seem like things that make your mind react defensively to others' emotions due to the effect they have on you, similar to how an allergy does and as a result you want to distance yourself from people for some reason. As a result you seem emotionally distant and might be 'allergic to social situations'.

You feel like you can't 'take' their emotions without that mechanism on if you are aware of it and have studied yourself. Like they could tear you apart (Just as bullets do), overwhelm you or something despite the fact for atleast a certain period of time you're able to feel them raw.

You react defensively when you feel pain, when you are undergoing an allergic reaction in general to non-social things. I wonder if this is a similar case to autism spectrum or atleast in some cases?

How accurate do you think this lead is?

Have you ever had a 'defensive instinct' almost kick in within when you've seen somebody experiencing a strong emotion like grief to your dismay although it seems not appropriate for that situation?

Yet you don't understand why until a traumatic experience of some sort overloads that mechanism's ability to function and you are blown open fully 'defenseless' to others' emotions?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2020, 9:50 am

I guess that bad treatment of small children could be a reason for AS if they are unable to deal with that emotional overload. The unconsious rejection of others together with lot's of unconsious defensive movements can be a result of this. I have seen a guy who was this way. He always did defensive movement of his arms like very small children do to prevent themself once they fear to be beaten. Another result can be a shutdown of emotions for not getting emotional hurt anymore. Together with the emotional shutdown the kids lose the ability to realize other peoples emotions then. It's the way I am. At least I the emotions on direct eye contact. But I had to learn how to do it. But sometimes people still may become irritated because of the emotions in my eyes. 8O

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 6:01 am

Hi FeralDreamer,

I think can relate to what you are saying. I'm so sensitive to other negative emotions that they pass through me whether I want them too or not without me having any defense against them.