Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spede
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2019, 3:41 pm

Is it okay for me to enjoy watching cartoons, like adventure Time and ducktales?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 3:53 pm

I still watch Thomas & Friends.

Spede
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2019, 5:42 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
I still watch Thomas & Friends.

And I watch anime.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2019, 7:39 am

I think it's more than okay. Cartoons, even ones that supposedly have a children's demographic can appeal to adults too. Some people may judge and not check them out themselves, but don't listen to those people. They're narrowminded. Cartoons have been a special interest of mine for a while.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Spede
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2019, 9:49 am

DemophobicKlingon wrote:
I think it's more than okay. Cartoons, even ones that supposedly have a children's demographic can appeal to adults too. Some people may judge and not check them out themselves, but don't listen to those people. They're narrowminded. Cartoons have been a special interest of mine for a while.

People say often for me that I shouldn't watch cartoons, because they say that cartoons are only for children.

They also say to me that I must have a very low mental age, because I watch cartoons.

I don't know what my mental age is, but I know that my iq is around 120-130.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 10:44 am

Cartoons are for both children and adults.

Bugs Bunny was made for adults as well as children. Children are entertained by some aspects. Adults are entertained by other aspects.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 11:01 am

What's interesting is that my ADHD son used to love cartoons while growing up. His concentration was so bad that he couldn't follow the story of a movie. The lengthy dialogues or monologues were too much. When we discussed a movie after we'd watched it together, he had invented a completely different script. He invented his own words according to visual impressions because he would know words but be unable to verbalise them, which really made him depressed as early as 6. He would call fireworks "boom boom colours" and broccoli
" little trees." I always thought that was absolutely brilliant. So he kind of thought in cartoons.
The cool thing now is that I watch cartoons with his two little sons. One of the magical things of my life is seeing my darling bad ass "hooligan" of a son trying to educate his own two little "hooligan" sons. Makes up for all the heartache, to a degree. I just roll about laughing :D

Spede
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2019, 12:46 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:

What cartoons do you watch?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

I watch many cartoons. I will be 59 in one week.

Affinity
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2019, 11:59 am

Cartoons a wonderful form of art. They are a beautifully synchronized collaborated mix of Drawings, Novel Writing, Music, Theater, and Voice acting; all animated together.
Almost inevitably containing critical social-political commentary (Aka Morals).
Not to mention also stimulating the brain to think about fantasy/sci-fi and other surrealistic takes on life.

Most if not all cartoons with children as the target demographic, have content for adults to enjoy too.

But my own take? Adulthood-gatekeeping is a problematic hindrance to the always aging-and-changing brain.
The following notions: "adults don't play" and "You can't teach old dogs new tricks" are proven false-science, yes even for NT's. We are Always Growing, and Always Learning New Things. Everyone. :P

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2020, 6:34 am

Cartoons are a big part of my life personally. I know that there are some who are in the school of thought to give up cartoons. I wholeheartedly disagree with people who scoff, and say that they're just for kids and nothing more. Animation is just as valid a format as live action.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2020, 8:02 am

I personally would rather watch cartoons, animes and all instead of shows with real people in it.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 8:07 am

I don’t really watch cartoons anymore (well, until the new Clone Wars season started coming out), but it’s totally ok to watch cartoons as an adult. They were such a huge part of so many of our childhoods! I have fond memories of watching Jimmy Neutron, Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, Pokemon, and Code Lyoko with my brother when we were kids.

#palestinianlivesmatter

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 9:22 am

Of course it is okay. just enjoy things that you like, you have only one life!

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 9:27 am

I don't care much for cartoons - however I can see nothing wrong at all with adults watching them. If they like them then that's fine.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 9:31 am

Who makes cartoons and writes their stories? Adults do! So why shouldn't adults watch them?