Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
The same things adults at work talk about

More or less

Extroverts are like that

Way too enthusiastic

Not just "kids" or "school"

It was worse at school though, because whenever I've had meetings at work people don't sit chattering when the boss is waiting to talk. When I was at school the teachers spent a lot of time standing at the front of the classroom saying, "we are not going to start class until everyone's quiet!" and it took ages to get the whole class quiet. As adults mostly we chat when appropriate.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 1:34 pm

It didn't happen much in my schools, as it was a long time ago when discipline was pretty tight, so I never saw it as a problem - in fact it was rather the reverse. During my final year or two things began to go more out of control, and as I wasn't very responsible or interested in the work, I actively participated in some of it, though we were a little more creative - on one occasion we re-enacted favourite scenes from Alice In Wonderland, though we kept our voices down because we still didn't dare make our rebellion too blatant (corporal punishment was still practised). When you're bored out of your skull at a young age it's surprising what silly nonsense can feel interesting, and of course there was the added bonus of showing off how far you dared to push your luck with authority figures.

As for gossip, I don't know how anybody keeps their attention on it long enough to hold such a conversation, as it all seems so vacuous and dull to me, but I've noticed that a lot of people don't share my sentiments on that score. I guess it's a case of little things amusing little minds.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm

I used to hear my peers (especially the female ones) chat all the time. It at times seemed like no one cared that I could hear them and yeah, it was mostly just gossip about classmates or discussions about after school and weekend plans. I never really cared a lot to listen and by the time I was in high school and they allowed us to listen to headphones in our free time, such as study halls and during solo work, I just listened to my music because it felt more important to me than hearing about stuff that didn't concern or affect me.

My Tumblr

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2020, 6:43 am

I recall this really bothering me in elementary school when in the lunchroom. Almost all of the kids in Grades 1 through 5 would be in the same large room at the same time. Having between 150 to 200 kids chattering away in high-pitched kid voices caused a mini-meltdown in my mind almost every day in that lunchroom. I wouldn't cry or act out because of it, I would just stay completely quiet and hope that the noise would stop. Every so often, if the noise got too loud for one of the lunchroom proctors, she would turn off the lights, and tell everyone to be quiet.

I was probably the only kid in school that loved it when those lights went out and the kid screeching stopped :)