Where are the hyposensitive autistic people?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 1:17 am

Have you noticed that there are rarely any posts about hyposensitivity and autism? There are lots of posts about being sensitive to noise, smells etc.

Where are the people who get burned because they can't sense heat very well?
Where are the people who crave motion and want to be on trampolines all day?
The people who prefer super spicy foods because they have a weak sense of taste?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 1:36 am

People in general rarely seem to acknowledge that hyposensitivities exist. I guess I can see why, though. They're probably not as noticeable to others or people themselves.

Personally, most of my sensory issues are hyposensitivities. I have always had noticeable problems with interoception, proprioception, and vestibular input. I could probably go all day without eating if I didn't have to take medication, I don't notice if it's hot or cold unless it's negatively affecting my health, have a horrible sense of balance, and I constantly bump into things and acquire bruises that I can't recall getting. I even had extensive problems with my teeth as a child that I didn't notice until I was taken to the dentist, since I just didn't feel any pain or sensitivity from all the decay.

It's honestly both a blessing and a curse. While I don't feel pain and other discomfort that often, when I do feel pain that usually means whatever is causing it needs attention soon and I don't notice it until it gets to that point.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 3:12 am

The closest kind of hyposensitivities I have is on basis of willful irresponsiveness (pain) and processing issues (hearing).
And, the most literal hyposensitivities I have isn't innately autistic (smell). :|

But in relation to responsiveness, I have more sensory seeking tendencies than aversions in spite of having more sensitivities than hyposensitivities.

I think there are factor that goes above hyper/hyposensitivities altogether.

There exists hyposensitivities reacts and behaves similarly to those with hypersensitivities
I'm almost the opposite of that.

But if you really want to find those with primary issues with hyposensitivities;
The starting point seem to sit somewhere between bodily clumsiness, pain processing and sensory seekers.

Overall, it's tricky to find hyposensitivities in midst of lacking sensory filters and alexithymia.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

teddybears_and_twirling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2020, 3:47 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
It's honestly both a blessing and a curse. While I don't feel pain and other discomfort that often, when I do feel pain that usually means whatever is causing it needs attention soon and I don't notice it until it gets to that point.

This. I once got second degree burns on my hand for touching a hot plate. I guess normally-sensitive people would have withdrawn immediately upon contact, whereas it took me a couple of seconds to register the pain.

As a kid, every evening I would count the bruises on my body. I never knew how I got them, but I regarded them affectionately as my 'bruise collection'.

I love twirling around, spinning around in a carousel, going on rollercoaster and other amusement park rides.

But it's difficult to notice hyposensitivities. If you've never had something, how are you supposed to know it's missing? Hypersensitivities are easier to pick up on, because if you need sunglasses even in cloudy weather when nobody else does, it's pretty obvious that you're different.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 4:49 am

I agree this is rarely discussed. Surprising since it is a part of the diagnostic criteria for Autism.

I would guess one does not know about what one doesn't feel.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 5:03 am

Truth is I wouldn't be able to judge whether I'm hyper or hypo sensitive without something concrete to measure it by .

At a pinch,possibly my eyes are hypersensitive . It's not particularly sunny here. In fact it's been raining .However having both eyes open is very difficult .

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 5:10 am

There may be a lot of denial that you are really different.

It may also be that people only write about what they consider to be problems on the internet.

I may have a hyposensitivity to holding hot objects. But, I don't recall being tested.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 6:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I agree this is rarely discussed. Surprising since it is a part of the diagnostic criteria for Autism.

I would guess one does not know about what one doesn't feel.

Maybe it's more prominent in severe cases?

There are numerous accounts on how lack of sensory stimuli affects development. Apparently the most well known is the deaf and it's communication development being compared to autistics.

Irresponsiveness (or lack of excitability) and several reactions that indicates hyposensitivities is associated with GDD.

:oops: But who here can exactly determine if it's irresponsiveness or hyposensitivities?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 3:44 pm

starkid wrote:
Have you noticed that there are rarely any posts about hyposensitivity and autism? There are lots of posts about being sensitive to noise, smells etc.

The people who prefer super spicy foods because they have a weak sense of taste?

I'd spend my entire life on a swing by the water if i could. That's my idea of heaven. I have athing with my sense of smell that some smells are really strong and cause me to be physically nauseous while others i can barely smell it seems that also it goes off an on sometimes.
I'd say my senses
Sight - ???
Audio - ???
Smell - Both
Touch - Hyposensitive?
Taste - ???
vestibular - hyposensitive.
Proprioceptive Hyposensitive

I definitely have problems with processing.

As for the reason, it's simple. Being hyposensitive isn't as noticeable. What would be more noticeable someone who screams when they are touched or someone who craves touch. They are everywhere. Part of SPD is not being able to process all the information. If there's to much going i can't process anywhere near to all of it. Alot of autistic people are either to affected or not effected enough by temperture as well. Alot of autistic people don't see the need to wear a jacket when it's cold out. Like, sometimes I get cuts and i'm like f**k i'm bleeding where the hell did that come frommost of the time they are only small cuts sometimes blood gets everywhere before i notice.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2020, 11:05 pm

starkid wrote:

The trampolines sound fun :D.

As I've mentioned in other topics, I like bright lights. I cannot see comfortably when its dim. Although I do still wear sunglasses outside in summer.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 1:53 am

starkid wrote:

representing.

having a weak sense of taste is pretty cool in my experience because it means i can be satisfied with crap. save money. still avoid artificial s**t though so i'm not totally scraping the bottom of the barrel.

i can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive alcohols. all tastes the same to me.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jul 2020, 2:19 am

steve30 wrote:
starkid wrote:

My friend gets very nervous when I'm on a trampoline. The few times I've been on one, it releases something in my system that causes me to feel such a complete sense of freedom that I laugh uncontrollably the whole time, which also happens on some of those funfair rides where you're going downhill and can't control it.

Trampolining is better than any drug for me. :lol:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 6:02 am

For me, the smell hypersensitivity is not that I can smell better then anyone else, but it is how certain smells effect me. Example, the bleach and other smells in hospitals often cause me to start shutting down. Certain paints and spray can oils can make me shut down. Others don't.

The difficulty is that because other non related elwmwnts can also cause me to have shutdowns, you can understand why it has taken me soo long to work it all out.

I knew the hospital smells make me shutdown because if I walk into a room with tjose types of smells (Bleach, ether etc) I immediately have to leave because if I stay there my strength goes and I end up on the floor in a floppy heap (Deeper end of a partial shutdown) and then I start slipping into a full shutdown.

Often I want to say to people "Drag me out to the outside and lie me on the floor somewhere where no one else is and it is out of direct sunlight".... But I can't do anything to get my mind to speak... I am not able to move much at all as it takes such effort to move to make myself comfortable so one of my limbs is not falling asleep with my weight on top of it, that if I try and succeed, I get another shutdown.

But anyway... If I don't hit the floor before I rech the outside, and I get outside the hospital and am able to walk, I can feel strength slowly coming back into my limbs, and my balance ad co-ordination starts coming back to me. It can take a while for this to fully be restored.

But anyway. I thought I would share what hypersensitivity means.

On another side to this, I was able to hear bats ad other high pitch noises. Once I was passing someone blowing a high pitched dog whistle and I had to quickly cover my ears as the guy walked my way and blew it right next to me. He had a right go at me because he said "Only dogs can hear it". It was soo loud that I am surprized how he can blow it without bursting his eardrums! Why did he assume that because he couldn't hear it, that others could not hear it either?

Anyway. Is hearing dog whistles and bats (Which can be pretty noisy!) being hypersensitive? I don't know. I know I can sense microwaves, and mobile phone signals, and so much that it took me ages before I could pht a mobile phone close enough to my head to hear the person speak. I can do it now but often I have to put a few inches distance if the phone call takes longer then a short call. It actually hurts.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:06 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
For me, the smell hypersensitivity is not that I can smell better then anyone else, but it is how certain smells effect me. Example, the bleach and other smells in hospitals often cause me to start shutting down. Certain paints and spray can oils can make me shut down. Others don't.

The difficulty is that because other non related elwmwnts can also cause me to have shutdowns, you can understand why it has taken me soo long to work it all out.

I knew the hospital smells make me shutdown because if I walk into a room with tjose types of smells (Bleach, ether etc) I immediately have to leave because if I stay there my strength goes and I end up on the floor in a floppy heap (Deeper end of a partial shutdown) and then I start slipping into a full shutdown.

Often I want to say to people "Drag me out to the outside and lie me on the floor somewhere where no one else is and it is out of direct sunlight".... But I can't do anything to get my mind to speak... I am not able to move much at all as it takes such effort to move to make myself comfortable so one of my limbs is not falling asleep with my weight on top of it, that if I try and succeed, I get another shutdown.

But anyway... If I don't hit the floor before I rech the outside, and I get outside the hospital and am able to walk, I can feel strength slowly coming back into my limbs, and my balance ad co-ordination starts coming back to me. It can take a while for this to fully be restored.

But anyway. I thought I would share what hypersensitivity means.

On another side to this, I was able to hear bats ad other high pitch noises. Once I was passing someone blowing a high pitched dog whistle and I had to quickly cover my ears as the guy walked my way and blew it right next to me. He had a right go at me because he said "Only dogs can hear it". It was soo loud that I am surprized how he can blow it without bursting his eardrums! Why did he assume that because he couldn't hear it, that others could not hear it either?

Anyway. Is hearing dog whistles and bats (Which can be pretty noisy!) being hypersensitive? I don't know. I know I can sense microwaves, and mobile phone signals, and so much that it took me ages before I could pht a mobile phone close enough to my head to hear the person speak. I can do it now but often I have to put a few inches distance if the phone call takes longer then a short call. It actually hurts.

I don't think i've heard of people hearing microwaves or phone signals. I also dont think that it being beyond the human range of hearing gives you the right to at at someone. Anyway sense it's supposed to be beyond the range of human hearing, I'd consider that being hyper-sensitive.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2020, 7:14 am

With microwaves and mobile phones, along with pylons and phone masts, wifi etc, I sense it as a pain. It is not a sound.
The trouble is, we have wifi here and I am not allowed to turn it off. I used to turn it off so I could get to sleep at night, but my brothers and the wifi company will no longer let me, so my sleep patterns are effected. I don't feel as healthy and I have lost the ability to sense things since then. It is like living in an enviroment of a continual noise which drives you mad!
I have thought about living in one of our fields in a tent but the midges (Gnats) can get straight through the tiny holes in the vents and having thousands of bites from the things is worse then the wifi.
It feels like a sound but it is not a sound. I can instantly tell the difference when it is turned off.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2020, 9:27 am

envirozentinel wrote:
steve30 wrote:
starkid wrote:

My friend gets very nervous when I'm on a trampoline. The few times I've been on one, it releases something in my system that causes me to feel such a complete sense of freedom that I laugh uncontrollably the whole time, which also happens on some of those funfair rides where you're going downhill and can't control it.

Trampolining is better than any drug for me. :lol:

I had a brief go at trampolining when I was at school, and really enjoyed it. It would be good to have another go one day.