Not noticing your own sensory issues?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 4:58 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I don't think you mean this in a bad way at all, but I honestly find it a little insulting to suggest I must have them just because I happen to be on the spectrum, and if I don't, then I'm either not noticing or am sheltered from it.

That's not what the OP said or implied. The OP actually says something about knowing that some autistic people don't have sensory issues.

Quote:
I've never had more problems with them than anyone else around me, and sometimes less. One time there was a very distinct smell of gasoline on the bus and a lot of presumably NT people complained and wrinkled their noses while I wasn't bothered in the least.

That could actually indicate hyposensitivity to smell rather than no sensory issues.

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why I preferred the old diagnosis criteria that didn't mention sensory issues but still has the clause about possibly being clumsy (which I am).

That seems very selfish. You want other people's autistic traits to be ignored in diagnostic criteria (and autism evaluations) because you don't deal with those issues?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 5:05 pm

Glflegolas wrote:
However, under-sensitivity to sound, specifically not being able to hear the sounds that make up words, is believed to be the cause of dyslexia. So is it a learning difference? Or is it a type of sensory processing disorder?

That seems like an auditory processing issue.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 5:49 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I have heard plenty of stories on here about how things like fire drills, traffic, vacuum cleaners and malls, and I can't relate to that at all, because they just don't bother me. I've never had more problems with them than anyone else around me, and sometimes less. One time there was a very distinct smell of gasoline on the bus and a lot of presumably NT people complained and wrinkled their noses while I wasn't bothered in the least.

NTs can be bothered by some sounds, I've had relatives that were, but I didn't share them.

I'm in the spectrum, I'm also diagnosed. I do also deal with sensory issues.
Yet all those stories are just as unrelatable to me.
Sensory issues isn't just all about hypersensitivities and poor sensory thresholds/stamina that just couldn't take intensity.

I do have sensitivities myself, yet at the same time no sensory issues bothered me from ever going to places or prevent me from doing any activities. Sometimes not even pain or sheer intensity driven me into aversion.

Everyone has their sensory 'contexts';
The common contexts for the hypersensitive is usually pain, exhaustion and anxiety -- things I'd barely resonate with daily basis.
The common contexts for the hyposensitive is usually sensory seeking, inattention/clumsiness and underreaction/alexithymia -- not much I'd resonate on daily basis, yet resonate more than the former.

The main sensory contexts that autistics would mainly resonate outside the spectrum of over-/under- sensitivity would be lack of filters.
Lack of filters (sensory gaiting) and/or 'no desensitization' is easily taken for various sensory processing issues. Hypersensitivity and intolerance are either the commonly expressed or very noticeable compared to different effects of types of sensory processing issues and it's consequences from said lack of filters.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 6:13 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I don't get notifications of replies any longer?

Can someone please address this issue ? This has been going on 4-5 days now or more , and we are not the only ones with this issue..
went to my account made,appropriate board changes ,, Nothing no difference did it twice, 3 days apart , setting were correct beforehand aswell

where ever you go ,there you are

Last edited by Jakki on 17 May 2020, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 6:14 pm

[quote="Dear_one"]Can anyone

Last edited by Jakki on 17 May 2020, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 6:14 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I don't get notifications of replies any longer?

Can someone please address this issue ? This has been going on 4-5 days now or more , and we are not the only ones with this issue..
went to my account made,appropriste board changes ,, Nothing no difference did it twice 3 days apart , setting were correct beforehand aswell

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 6:22 pm

did not mean to post this repeatedly tried to cancel but only allowed me to edit
was NOT attempting to do repeat posts .. this thread is creating issues

mchkry
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 May 2020, 9:05 pm

I can relate to this. I consider my sensory issues to be mild BUT, they push me into shutdowns which I consider a full shutdown to be far from mild.
And like you said, many of us have automatically adjusted to avoid enviroments that can trigger our sensory issues so it is only those who have to live in enviroments where they can't avoid triggering sensory overload that will call it severe? (I am exploring my thoughts out loud here. I realize that others have far worse experiences then me which is why I call y experiences mild).[/quote]

I think I have done this. My family knows I will avoid any large gathering most of the time. I avoid just about everything. I do think people who are unaware they have ASD probably get overstimulated a lot trying to 'fit in' to society and put themselves in environments to get triggered, I know I did when I still tried to fit into the NT world. Now I adjust to light/sound issues and avoid social stuff 90 percent of the time.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 12:52 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I have extreme sensory issues. Way too hypo and way too hyper, plus misophonia, photophobia, heliophobia, and Sensory Processing Disorder. I stim 24/7, even in my sleep, both sensory-seeking and sensory-avoiding at the same time.

On top of all that I have alexithymia and problems with interoception (reading my body signals). I don't know when I'm hungry or full. I really have no clue what hunger / fullness feels like. I eat because something looks good or smells good but I don't really feel hungry, and after eating I don't feel any different (full). I also have issues knowing if I'm hot or cold. Sometimes one arm or leg is hot and the other one is cold, or I'm split down the middle, or I feel nothing. I'm one of those people who goes out without a coat and doesn't need to wear shoes for a jaunt outside, even in snow. I can't tell if I'm tired or not because my mind is always awake even when my body wants to sleep. I don't notice my own behaviour patterns very well either. Doctors will ask me if x was correlated with y, and I won't have a clue.

So to answer the question, I'm very aware of my stim issues but I didn't realise how poor my interoception was until recently. I didn't realise that other people feel a stream of recognisable cues, signals, and patterns. With me I don't notice those cues until it's too late and I have a meltdown.

For reference re: Interoception >
https://autismawarenesscentre.com/what- ... ct-autism/

I have a good amount of those, especially with fullness and temperature.