Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2020, 2:28 pm

Hello, I spend about 5 hours a day or more watching memes on the internet. I'm realizing that this is taking up a lot of time in my life. It's okay that I'm isolated because of the coronavirus, but I still feel like I could use this time to do something productive in my life, or with other forms of entertainment.
I also have a problem obsessively taking screenshots of movies and cartoons that I watch. I have a folder on windows with about 5000 screenshots / printscreens of anime, drawings, games, etc.
I am suffocated by this situation.

Any tips? :D

Special Interest: memes

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2020, 6:32 pm

is there someone at home that can help distract you from it?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Apr 2020, 2:50 am

My first thought is that you shouldn’t feel guilty about having an “unproductive” special interest. If it makes you happy then that is what matters.

If there is something specific that this interest is stopping you from pursuing, then you might want to change it. But a vague fear of missing out is not a reason to sabotage your fun.

Aesthetic Artist
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2020, 3:49 am

I wouldn't worry too much if you're enjoying it.
Sometimes I find a special interest can be helpful to keep you occupied through a time of stress or anxiety and it's good that you're aware of how much time you are doing it currently.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 4:38 am

I don't think what you described is too bad but maybe that's because of the fact that I spend about 4 hours on Instagram alone per day. Firstly if this is a special interest it makes perfect sense but I found what helped me before lockdown was using a feature on my phone that limits the amount of time you spend on select apps on your phone.

Also if you find another thing you enjoy you could try to indulge in that more. For me atm that is cooking and baking which helps with my stress. I also read that turning off notifications and switching your phone to black and white will limit how much you use it.

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2020, 3:02 pm

There's nothing wrong with liking or even being obsessed with memes.Whatever makes you happy, it's not wrong or anything to be ashamed about

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 7:59 am

Heh IRL memelord??? Bet you relate to the new marvel characters huh???

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 12:26 pm

You sound a lot like me honestly, I scroll through Tumblr a lot and I love looking at photos and creating screenshots and then photo edits and occasionally memes. I don't really see anything wrong with it. I don't think it's unproductive either if it keeps you entertained and if it makes you happy. If you are starting to feel upset about it though or if it is giving you anxiety, then I'd maybe try to cut back but if it makes you happy and you find it comforting, I'd say keep doing what you love :)

My Tumblr

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 12:36 am

foxant wrote:
Hello, I spend about 5 hours a day or more watching memes on the internet. I'm realizing that this is taking up a lot of time in my life. It's okay that I'm isolated because of the coronavirus, but I still feel like I could use this time to do something productive in my life, or with other forms of entertainment.
I also have a problem obsessively taking screenshots of movies and cartoons that I watch. I have a folder on windows with about 5000 screenshots / printscreens of anime, drawings, games, etc.
I am suffocated by this situation.

Any tips? :D

How do you define meme?

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2020, 12:07 am

lliam420 wrote:
is there someone at home that can help distract you from it?

there is my dad but hes watching tv or doing homework all the time, also he has a extremely anoying habit of never stop while i am talking with him. Like i start to talk with him in the kitchen then suddenly he walks to the living room to do another stuff. Its really anoying :|

lvpin wrote:
I don't think what you described is too bad but maybe that's because of the fact that I spend about 4 hours on Instagram alone per day. Firstly if this is a special interest it makes perfect sense but I found what helped me before lockdown was using a feature on my phone that limits the amount of time you spend on select apps on your phone.

Also if you find another thing you enjoy you could try to indulge in that more. For me atm that is cooking and baking which helps with my stress. I also read that turning off notifications and switching your phone to black and white will limit how much you use it.

I will try an app that limits my phone. Ah what about "switching your phone to black and white" i didnt understood that part

Dear_one wrote:

How do you define meme?

Memes are catchy situations or quotes that are used in several contexts

Another thing that is making me anxious looking at memes, is that theres a lot of memes that mistreat autists, like
theres a meme that it goes like this "when i look at the corner of my classroom and the autistic kid is pooping at his backpack friend." Theres a lot of dehumanizing memes about us, in several meme sites, it makes me sick.
I tried to report but its goes like this "you can joke about autism in this site and theres nothing we can do about this".

Special Interest: memes