Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 1:15 pm

I had to get a new laptop as my previous one was unable to get out of 'automatic repair' mode and load Windows 10. It's a much better laptop , but has this constant , high pitch whine . It's not enough for me to freak out over , but is a little annoying- to say the least!

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2020, 2:31 pm

That's not ok if you bought a new laptop. Is it coming from the fan? Sometimes it's the soldering that causes these high tones as electricity tries to pass. Then there's also the electronic converter/transformator that could be the source.

I totally know what you're saying. The high pitch sound is unbearable. Thick tv:s used to be very prone to sounding, as well as cheap lamps.

And I would recommend switching from Windows to Mac. It takes a little while to get used to it, but once it's done you just can't go back. I'm on a macbook air from 2015 and it still feels every bit as fresh as when I bought it. A PC normally starts acting up within a year or two 8O

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 2:48 pm

I have no idea precisely where it's coming from . What I do know is that if I had a dog it would be going doolally .

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2020, 3:11 pm

:lol: Alright! We'll see how long it takes before it really gets under your skin.

(Also expecting someone step in to point out some facts regarding frequencies a dog can hear in comparison
to humans) :wink:

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 7:18 pm

mechanic hard drives can make a whine........ usually not a good sign. mine stopped after a while , it seems to be operating well , even now. jjust my humble opinion.

where ever you go ,there you are

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2020, 12:05 pm

Try turning the volume down.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2020, 11:00 pm

What Jakki said. Hopefully the hard drive isn't about to fail. The whining from the old CRT monitors was the flyback coil at about 15KHz. If you could hear that, you didn't have hearing loss. LCD and LED monitors don't make this noise that I've noticed. If it's the fan, it needs to be cleaned, serviced or replaced. Not a 'fan' of disassembling modern laptops. ;)

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 3:17 am

firemonkey wrote:
I had to get a new laptop as my previous one was unable to get out of 'automatic repair' mode and load Windows 10. It's a much better laptop , but has this constant , high pitch whine . It's not enough for me to freak out over , but is a little annoying- to say the least!

That's the worst! I have the same problem with my phone charger. I can't stand the high pitched sound!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 4:29 am

I'm thinking my sensitivity to such things is erratic, and possibly not totally related to the laptop. So far this morning I can't hear that noise . Last night in bed I was hearing a similar noise as the 'laptop' noise .

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2020, 1:44 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I'm thinking my sensitivity to such things is erratic, and possibly not totally related to the laptop. So far this morning I can't hear that noise . Last night in bed I was hearing a similar noise as the 'laptop' noise .

It's going to get to your head, I know exactly what it's like :lol:

Also this:

Quote:
Pulsatile tinnitus occurs when the ear becomes aware of a change in blood flow in nearby blood vessels. These include the arteries and veins in the neck, base of the skull, and in the ear itself. When blood is flowing quickly, such as during strenuous exercise or pregnancy, it makes more noise.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Kyle2019
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2020, 1:55 pm

yeah, that's okay