Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 6:39 am

Dear_one wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
^ you might find useful: Stikky Night Skies.

I am a map reader who does not do well with the pace of formal lessons, nor fees for ancient information.

It is maps, segmented into parts of the sky and provides "landmarks."

It is a very different way of teaching.

Quote:
Stikky Night Skies uses a unique learning method to bring a fascinating topic to anyone with an hour to spare. We spent hundreds of hours with dozens of readers testing and refining it to be sure it will work for you.

You would probably find the author interesting too:
Quote:
Laurence Holt is a writer based in Carmel, California. He was previously Executive in Residence at New Schools Venture Fund and, before that, Chief Product Officer of Amplify and Wireless Generation where he oversaw the engineering, design and production of the company's software solutions.

Prior to that, Laurence founded Quidnunc, a business and technology consulting firm with clients such as Apple Computer, Sprint, the BBC, and Goldman Sachs. As CEO and later Chairman of Quidnunc, Laurence led major consulting engagements; facilitated more than 100 workshops; spoke frequently at events such as The Economist CIO conference; wrote papers on Customer Interaction and E-Commerce; and ran two private equity rounds. He also joined the board of directors of the Computing Software and Services Association.

Under Laurence's leadership, Quidnunc grew to 300 people with offices in London, New York, and San Francisco. Quidnunc also won the prestigious Economist Knowledge Culture Award for Europe.

More recently, Laurence followed a long-time interest in knowledge acquisition and learning processes by founding Stikky, a publisher of research-driven instructional books on topics ranging from analyzing stock charts to tree identification. Laurence has written three award-winning books.

Previously a bond trader with Credit Suisse First Boston, Laurence also created "multi-user calendar" software, which he later sold to Microsoft. The application was named Microsoft Schedule+, and was later integrated into Microsoft Outlook.

Laurence holds a First Class BSc(Eng) Hons in Computing Science from Imperial College London.

Bolding is mine.

I do not learn well from reading books and I am terrible at face recognition. But this method was amazing to me. If it really doesn't meet your needs, ignore it. It should be in a library. You can also purchase a used copy pretty cheap.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 6:41 pm

Our library is pretty grim. The first thing I'd like to try is just going outside and trying to spot the two nearest neighbours to the dippers, by remembering a map I'd just seen in dim light, and then repeating to find their nearest neighbours, until I have circled the horizon.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 3:23 am

Yay! I just saw the Comet. I saw a suspicious little smudge, and then got to use the binoculars I found on sale about two years ago for the 1st time. I found it by following the main axis of the Big Dipper toward the horizon, from my own back yard, after looking at a map showing the points of the compass, the comet's path, dated, and a few stars.