Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2016, 3:44 pm

A question I've been pondering for some time but only just now decided to ask.

To start I'll admit that I'll have what I would describe as a...sensitive bladder? Oftentimes my bladder will be bothering me like crazy and I'll run to the bathroom even though only a few drops will come out. I have to go maybe once an hour. The worst thing is that people do notice and comment on it which makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed and also kind of gross.

My question though is that is there a correlation between what I just described and autism? My suspicions say that it might be something to do with sensory stuff, but I don't know. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

edit: just gonna clarify that I don't wet the bed or have accidents or anything like that. I just have the constant need to go to the bathroom even if I really don't.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:52 pm

I seem to have problems with my "plumbing" due to sensory issues. I'm not good at reading what my body is telling me at all, and often find it hard to tell if I need to go, if I'm hungry or not, whether I have eaten too much or too little, etc.

If it bothers you a lot, I'd still get it checked out by your doctor though. Urinary problems can sometimes be a sign of other illnesses, so it's best to know for sure - it only takes a simple blood and/or urine test to rule out most things.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 4:12 pm

I tend to spend a lot of time in the bathroom too. I think it is an anxiety issue for me but could also possibly be a sensory issue in that I get very uncomfortable if I feel I need to use the bathroom.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2016, 6:01 pm

(TheSilentOne, LOVE Your pic)

OP, I have to ask, have you consulted a doctor? There are several conditions that present first with frequent urination. The most common being UTI's, or even diabetes. Have you had recent and/or continual testing for those?

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2016, 4:28 pm

I have to pee loads and even if I haven't had that much to drink, especially at night. I get up twice in the night at least even if I haven't had a drink for hours before bed. Went to the doctors a few times and had loads of tests. Tried cutting out caffeine and alcohol, did make a bit of a difference but still up twice in the night. If I'm anxious I go even more and have been known to go several times an hour when really nervous about something.

When I worked in an office I got into the habit of having a drink at the water cooler and going to the bathroom a lot, just so I could have some time out.

I just remembered a strange thing I went through a phase of doing when I was a kid, maybe about 11 or 12. I discovered it felt really nice to pee a little bit then hold it in, I used to do it a lot in my bed and do it on top of my pillows so I didn't get it on the mattress. God knows what my mum thought when she washed my pillow cases haha! Anyone else done anything similar?

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

SirMiles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2016, 8:58 pm

This is not uncommon in ASD. From personal experience and looking into it online. You feel like you have to go and drip, drip, drip. I've heard friends commenting on it from the living room before when I was in the bathroom... that I just went and was going again. Yes, it sucks.

Last edited by SirMiles on 15 Apr 2016, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 9:01 pm

Have you ever tried taking an NSAID, like Ibuprofen or Naproxen and noticed a slight improvement in the urgency to pee? If there is no discharge or burning, its unlikely to be a UTI. By all means rule that out with a doctor and diabetes, but it may just be inflammation of the urethra. This can be triggered if you masturbate or have sex often, try scaling back on that for 4-5 days and see if your symptoms improve, if so you know whats triggering it. Not everything is a disease. Kegel exercises may improve your symptoms as well, and lessen the need to pee.

Your neurodiverse score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 51 of 200

officially diagnosed with Asperger's as of 09/11/15

Reassessed 04/11/16
DSM-V: ASD level 2 with Social Communication Severity: level 2, Restrictive Repetitve Behaviour: level 2

ADOS-2 classification: Autism

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Apr 2016, 10:00 pm

Perhaps it's something like overactive bladder. There's a lot of meds out there for it. I take one because I was waking up at night having to pee & I take it partly for another issue too.

~King Of The Hill

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2016, 10:05 am

Hi,

Iv'e spoken with many autistic people who experience bladder issues. I have a few myself relating to the sensory side of things.

Like others have mentioned, it might be worth speaking to a Dr to rule out other issues.

Personally, i use pads for the added confidence. I can "resolve" the main problem for a low cost and it frees me to get on with my life. No one pays me to use the bathroom "correctly", but i can get paid for my work. So i spend my energy focusing on my work. Perhaps it will be less of an issue in the future but for now I'm not considering it a "problem" etc.

Hope that helps,

Jamie + Lion

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2016, 9:53 am

I feel like I need to wee all the time, but I often don't. No other signs of urinary infection and no diabetes, though.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2016, 9:52 pm

I was diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction a few years ago, which causes some of the symptoms you describe. My urologist said that in my case, he feels it stemmed from muscle tightness, probably caused by stress or anxiety.

josh338
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2016, 10:14 pm

I remember having issues as far back as my 20's, but in recent years it's gotten worse and I was recently diagnosed with BPH and prostatitis. No telling what you have but it seems to me you should consult an MD in case it's physiological (although I'm intrigued that it's apparently so often associated with ASD).

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2020, 12:55 pm

I also have bladder issues, (mainly shy bladder/paruresis, can't go with others nearby or in the room). I first noticed it when I was a teenager and it went away on its own for about 10 years with not too many issues. It came back out of the blue a few years ago. I use an intermittent catheter when traveling or in a spontaneous situation where I can't find a bathroom that will work for me. Also I seem to randomly get urinary retention sometimes which the doctors haven't been able to trace to any physical problem. I problem-solved a bit for myself and did some research and discovered that NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories like Ibuprofen and Aleve) are known to cause this (urinary retention; you have to go like crazy but because these meds stop the production of some hormones essential for muscle function, you get side effects like this sometimes).

Last year I injured my back lifting weights and it resulted in some pinched nerve at night -- for a long time before it healed and before finally going to physical therapy, the only thing I could do was take these NSAIDs every night so I could sleep. Once enough of them built up in my system, I got really bad urinary retention until I stopped taking them altogether. I didn't realize that was what it was until I went to the doctor and emergency room a few times due to urinary retention (and they could find no cause). I was sure it was UTI or prostate or something, but nothing. Luckily I had my catheters for backup but I had no idea what was causing it until I stopping taking the NSAIDs and realized what was going on. Also I find sometimes if I'm constipated then I'll get urinary retention. So a consistent, steady diet and staying regular and healthy and prepared are all essential for me functioning well (as well as avoiding the NSAIDs; tylenol seems to work fairly well and doesn't have this side effect). I wake up many times in the night (5-10) to go pee, although it's not like there's a huge amount coming out. I'm sensitive to there just being a little bit in there so I'll have to empty what's there before I can fall back asleep. I don't have any incontinence issues such as wetting myself etc. My problems are generally the opposite in that I can't go when I really need to.

If you do get urinary retention, intermittent catheters are a lifesaver! They are only slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds and then you get relief. Also you get more comfortable with them as you use them more.

VanillaTwilight2016
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2020, 1:00 pm

I have bladder control issues too. I had severe constipation when I was younger that made me have many accidents not getting to the toilet. Now as I'm older I have trouble giving myself permission to go to the toilet, or I don't know when I need to go and I end up waiting too long until it really gets uncomfortable and starts to hurt. Sometimes I get a strong urge to pee and it's only a few drops. Doctor can't figure out what's wrong but tells me to stay hydrated. I've tried wearing "protection" in the past, I found it very comfortable but I feel embarrassed wearing it. At the same time I don't always like having to hold it in until I can get to the toilet. With more public toilets closed lately I have been thinking about the consequences of having an accident. Majority of the time I can get to the toilet but having to use it makes me feel uncomfortable even in my own home. The flushing of almost any toilet is loud for me.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 1:31 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
I seem to have problems with my "plumbing" due to sensory issues. I'm not good at reading what my body is telling me at all, and often find it hard to tell if I need to go, if I'm hungry or not, whether I have eaten too much or too little, etc.

If it bothers you a lot, I'd still get it checked out by your doctor though. Urinary problems can sometimes be a sign of other illnesses, so it's best to know for sure - it only takes a simple blood and/or urine test to rule out most things.

Absolutely the hungry thing or not, and the eaten to much or to little. I also have GI issues.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 3:33 pm

I don't have bladder issues per se, but was diagnosed about two years ago with irritable bowel syndrome, which among other things, causes incontinent episodes for which I have to wear diapers. It's awkward, but way less awkward than randomly soiling my pants when out and about. I think we autistics do tend to have more issues with bladder and bowel control due to sensory issues, difficulty with our brains registering when we have to go, and generally being more sensitive to environmental factors as well.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!