Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:03 pm

Steve1963 wrote:
Thinking about this more, i'm inflexible in so many ways...the foods I eat, the clothes I wear, the structure of my day. How thrown off and anxious I get if any of these things are altered in any way. Is this common amongst those on the spectrum?

Very common :D

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2020, 1:08 pm

I can relate to this. I have a very hard time letting things go from recently if they bother me even a bit, and from long-term if they bothered me a lot. I'll analyze things and turn them over in my mind almost endlessly until they're resolved or I wear myself out. One thing someone says that rubs me the wrong way, I'll take personally and lose sleep over it. Also I find I have to take extreme approaches and stances to things, and have trouble with middle ground and compromise. For example, I'm either in or in the process of getting in good physical shape, or bad physical shape. I'm either totally focused on something, or I'm not paying any attention to it at all. It's not like I can be "a little bit bothered or annoyed" by something if it has happened recently, it's always amplified as I analyze it and perseverate on it. Over time I come to terms with it and it goes into the background. I am decent at working through these issues, but it takes time.

Last edited by eyelessshiver on 19 Aug 2020, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:08 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
Thinking about this more, i'm inflexible in so many ways...the foods I eat, the clothes I wear, the structure of my day. How thrown off and anxious I get if any of these things are altered in any way. Is this common amongst those on the spectrum?

Yeah, I probably should have known this, eh? But I haven't known many people in my life. :)

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:15 pm

Steve1963 wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:

Yeah, I probably should have known this, eh? But I haven't known many people in my life. :)

If you don't know , you don't know. Anyway isn't it about time you picked a suitable avatar ? I give you permission to do this :P

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:19 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:

If you don't know , you don't know. Anyway isn't it about time you picked a suitable avatar ? I give you permission to do this :P
I wouldn't know what to pick. No avatar suits me I think. I've never really known who I am or what I stood for. I'm having a lot of epiphanies today. Like I'm understanding a lot of things I went though when I was younger. It's also dawning on me that I am autistic. I've never fully understood what that diagnosis meant until today. I wish I head found out when I was younger. At least it would have explained a lot of my odd behavior. :lol:

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:24 pm

I used to be, very much so, when I was younger. I still have my moments, but got a lot more "live and let live" with time.

But I'm still good at burning bridges, I have no idea if it's related in any way, but once the "point of no return" is reached I suddenly and completely stop caring about things and people that used to be very important to me.

Rambling I guess, I'm very tired.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:34 pm

Steve1963 wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:

I wouldn't know what to pick. No avatar suits me I think. I've never really known who I am or what I stood for. I'm having a lot of epiphanies today. Like I'm understanding a lot of things I went though when I was younger. It's also dawning on me that I am autistic. I've never fully understood what that diagnosis meant until today. I wish I head found out when I was younger. At least it would have explained a lot of my odd behavior. :lol:

Welcome to the club then :D If it's any comfort you'll find a lot of members around our age have gone through the same.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:36 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Welcome to the club then :D If it's any comfort you'll find a lot of members around our age have gone through the same.

It is of comfort. Thank you.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:40 pm

Steve1963 wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:

It is of comfort. Thank you.

And here is my suggestion for your avatar Colonel Steven "Steve" Austin :jester:

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:41 pm

^ god I hated that show so much. NO AVATAR!! !!

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:44 pm

:lol: I tried

As a kid when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up , my answer was "The Bionic Woman" :mrgreen:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2020, 1:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
I cannot seem to let go of certain things, like abandonment, betrayal, bullying, lying, and failure to properly use the Oxford Comma.

You know ... important things.

You use the Oxford comma too much, too much, too much and too much. As a writer I avoid it unless leaving it out will result in helpless ambiguity.

Steve1963: I have a whole collection of potential avatars for the picking!

Just a few here:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2020, 1:53 pm

Ahh - too late; I see you've got one now, and a very dignified one at that.

my blog:

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:55 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

:lol: you must not like my choice then if you're so quick to point out that I can change it.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

^Who is he?

my blog:

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 1:56 pm

envirozentinel wrote:

maybe your liszt gave him inspiration :mrgreen: