Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 11:02 pm

Will my IQ change as I get older?

My old former schools and medical record stated that I have an IQ of 48, I might have had my IQ low as 38 and my is now IQ of 59, but San Andreas Regional Center considers me to have borderline intellectual functioning

I have history of Cognitive Learning Disorder, Language Disorder, Dyscalculia, Dyslexia, Motor Learning Disorder and Dysgraphia

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 3:58 pm

FranzOren wrote:

My old former schools and medical record stated that I have an IQ of 48, I might have had my IQ low as 38 and my is now IQ of 59, but San Andreas Regional Center considers me to have borderline intellectual functioning

I have history of Cognitive Learning Disorder, Language Disorder, Dyscalculia, Dyslexia, Motor Learning Disorder and Dysgraphia
I'd question the validity of taking a iq test considering all the learning disabilities you have. IQs can fluctuate throughout your life time. I believe the general trend is that when you are younger it is higher and as you get it older it gets lower but not by a large margin. But things like learning disabilities, developmental disabilities, among other things can change this. But, Yes iirc it can change. It's a bit fuzzy so this information might not be accurate.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 4:06 pm

All IQ tests have some degree of margin of error. They always give you an exact IQ but all of the IQ test I have had done give me a high/low range where it's likely to be within.

IQ tests can probably give a different result by the hour even doing the same type of IQ test.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2020, 5:04 pm

FranzOren wrote:

There have been cases where IQ increased dramatically for some autistic people going from under 70 to over 130. I don't think they became more intelligent. I think the test is often inaccurate for some autistic people because autism can interfere with the ability to answer some of the questions.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 5:08 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
FranzOren wrote:

There have been cases where IQ increased dramatically for some autistic people going from under 70 to over 130. I don't think they became more intelligent. I think the test is often inaccurate for some autistic people because autism can interfere with the ability to answer some of the questions.

exactly

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 5:20 pm

Crystallised IQ improves with age up to about the mid 60s . I think fluid IQ peaks in the mid 20s.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 7:37 am

Mid range IQ can vary about 5-10 points just because of testing differences and variations of how a person feels on a particular day. IQ measurements at both the high and low end of the range are subject to even greater variability as attempting to resolve fractional differences is beyond the ability of test creators to measure consistently.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 4:19 am

This was available to try for a while. Then the test couldn't be tried by anyone. I emailed John Hansen and got this reply-

Quote:
Thanks for the note. The HRS-MAT is still available, however, I had turned it off from that site due to a security situation. I am happy to work with you on setting up some alternative if you would like to discuss.

I explained I was not a professional , and not up to discussing an alternative. At that point communication between us ended.

http://blog.hrs-mat.com/measuring-iq-in ... ve-testing

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 8:39 am

Pieplup wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
FranzOren wrote:

exactly

I agree with this too! From the way you write, and from your list of disabilities, I seriously doubt you actually had an IQ below 50. You're just hard to measure by the normal tests. I wouldn't be too surprised if your IQ score went up by ten or twenty points in the next few years.

TheAutisticDirector
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2020, 2:02 pm

sure

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 2:06 pm

I doubt the OP really has an IQ of 48, or even 59. Many times, in autism, IQ is more invalid than that found among non-autistics.

TheAutisticDirector
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2020, 3:19 pm

sure

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 4:30 pm

If an IQ score is accurate it's not supposed to change over time, it's designed that way. I don't think yours is accurate though. Regardless, it's not important as IQ is just important, what actually matters is what you can do.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm

Thank you.

I agree.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran