Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2020, 3:41 pm

Maybe interests are seen as special because many of them are obscure and not widely shared by others. I have seen people interested in license plates. Alex is into flashlights. One of mine, the Mexican American War (the real forgotten war) is less so.

Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 6:08 pm

I wonder if it will not be seen as a mistake in the future to encourage people with ASD to pursue "special interest" careers. Of course you shouldn't do what you hate, but I've read at least one study that linked success in the workplace for a person with ASD to the degree of aptitude in social functioning, not the degree of skill in a field. The common idea that you can "become so good they tolerate you" only applies to an extreme level of skill, and even then you still have to leverage your social deficiencies with intellectual ability.

In my own short professional experience, I've learned that:
a) I can't work in teams.
b) I can't manage others.
c) I can't shoulder responsibility.
d) I prefer facts over style.

a & b are quite straightforward social deficiencies. c means taking on a role in society which makes you accountable in the eyes of others on certain topics, which is too stressful to me. d means that certain "career" paths are closed to me. I couldn't become, say, a designer because I think a regular spoon is enough if you can eat with it, and there's no need to design a purple carbon fibre spoon to post about in a magazine. Which is the desired norm in the design community.

Taking all this into consideration I enjoy my job now not because it is my "interest" (I pursue that on my days off), but because it goes easy on my deficiencies which has alleviated me of stress and provides me with the time and stability to enjoy my life.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 6:20 pm

1986 wrote:
d) I prefer facts over style.

8O

WHAT are you thinking!! !

:?

:lol:

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 1:59 am

Robert312 wrote:
Maybe interests are seen as special because many of them are obscure and not widely shared by others.

Oh yes, my entomology interest fits the bill, in fact, I have to be really careful on these forums explaining what exactly my research is about, because people could easily come up with my university website from as much. What I study is so esoteric, even within my field, that one could easily call me a world authority on this ridiculously specific topic. However, this is the way it is for nearly all academics, and I think most people would agree that not all academics have "special interests." -although it does explain why so many people on the spectrum are drawn to this kind of profession.

1986 wrote:
I wonder if it will not be seen as a mistake in the future to encourage people with ASD to pursue "special interest" careers. Of course you shouldn't do what you hate, but I've read at least one study that linked success in the workplace for a person with ASD to the degree of aptitude in social functioning, not the degree of skill in a field. The common idea that you can "become so good they tolerate you" only applies to an extreme level of skill

Does that mean I'm extremely skilled? 8)

Jokes aside, I am by no means the social nucleus of my university, but there are plenty of people around who are more nervous and socially awkward than even I am (I think research jobs in higher-ed just attract this kind of person). I think for the most part my colleagues and I recognize that in each other and feel comfortable being dorks together.

Maybe you are right, that I would be happier if I had more social skills, but I wouldn't know what that's like. I only have the social skills I've got. All I can say is that this job makes me happier than any other I've had until now.