I feel stupid, thinking I have some other condition too

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

28 Dec 2007, 2:15 pm

I feel I have something else going on in my head like I have another condition but I don't know what it is but it makes me feel dumb.
At work on Wednesday, my office clerk tells me I am working both buildings and I wonder how am I going to get everything done in that building because I didn't have a routine for working both buildings on the same day. The office clerk tells me how to do it so I do it. Reason I worked both buildings was because one of the housemen is on vacation and the other was his day off.

I go to work the next day which was yesterday and I am in the middle of doing inventory when I get beeped on my radio. I get told 1730 needs a rollaway bed tower. So I head over to the tower which is the other building and deliver the rollaway over there. I figure the other houseman over there must be too busy to do it so the office clerk asked me to do it.

But later in the day, the office clerk in the main building asks me if I ever delivered the rollaway and I said "yes" and she tells me did I know I'm working both buildings and I say "I didn't know I was. No one ever told me," and she said I need to check the schedule so I do and I see it says I am working in the main building. It didn't say tower anywhere and now I'm going to have to ask everyday for the rest of the week if I am working both buildings.
No wonder I was told to deliver the rollaway over there, no wonder my office clerk told me if I have time, put the yellow and white phone books in each service area, 26 each yellow books and white and I failed to figure out I was working both buildings. I didn't figure it out till after I was told I was working both buildings.
The office clerk also told me I had to look at the schedule and look at to see who was off or on and if both housemen are off, then I'm working both buildings. I never figured that out. I also realized when I was told on Wednesday I was working both buildings, maybe he meant the next day too and I didn't know that. I thought he was talking about that day only because he didn't say I was doing it on Thursday too. I don't know if I am working both buildings again today or not so I would have to ask.

I fail to connect the dots and figure things out on my own. I'm expected to connect the dots together and know these things on my own without being told.

There has been lot of other incidents at work when I failed to figure something out and I get told by one of the office clerks I need to use my common sense.

I realize I lack common sense because I sure fail to use it well.
I wonder what is wrong with me?
Or is this all AS related?

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 28 Dec 2007, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2007, 2:31 pm

You may have disorganized schizophrenia or it could just be a severe case of Asperger's where you may actually be disabled. Look into Social Security SSI benefits.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

28 Dec 2007, 3:01 pm

I think it is AS related. I go through a lot of the same 'connect the dots' issues, and don't think I have any other conditions besides OCD and auditory processing disorder (neither of which are diagnosed).

Part of how I cope is to obsessively make sure of my situation. It leads sometimes to people raising an eyebrow at me, but *&^*& them. Making a living is more important than what they think.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 10:55 pm

Possibly executive functioning issues ?
They can occur in people with ASD's, as well as in any person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_functions
Which isn't to say that you couldn't have an additional symptom of something else...
Perhaps a side effect of a medication, "co-morbid" depression, or a direct physical cause ?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 11:02 pm

I'm not going to try to guess what diagnosis would fit this, but I will say that depression can slow down cognitive functioning. It is common to be a little "slower" than usual when clinically depressed. The same can be true of anxiety disorders, and stress in general, but I think it is often the most obvious with depression. This is in part because the depression makes you dwell on things you don't like, so you think your problems are worse than they really are.

What kind of job do you do? (What is a houseperson?) Everything you described above, plus showering at work, is not like any job I have heard of.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 5:03 am

Firstly, having read your posts, you don't come across as stupid to me.
Secondly, the sort of things you are describing sound very familiar: I always don't realise things that I somehow should have realised. I get called dumb for it.

I think that most people work within a certain set of assumptions, and they assume that anyone who looks normal will also work within these parameters and thus know all these "really obvious" things. We may look normal, but we are not neurologically typical, and thus we do not automatically know all these things that we know, and we will not necessarily make the same inferences, given the same information, that a neurologically typical person would.
Not stupidity, just difference.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2007, 7:04 am

Sounds like AS to me. I get that a lot - I act in a way that seems logical to me, and then someone tells me that I should have assumed something completely different and that I should have used my common sense.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:37 pm

Apparently it is supposedly a symptom of AS. I have the SAME problem you described, but it seems like a lot of NT people do too.

If they want you to do something consultants like me call "out of scope", that is something outside of what you originally agreed to and/or outside of what you normally do, they should TELL YOU FIRST!

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2007, 1:45 pm

I do these kinds of things a lot, and it's mainly considered to just be part of how autism affects me (definitely I'm not considered psychotic). As someone else said, I tend to obsessively recheck myself and assess my situation to try and avoid confusions and misunderstandings like those, but I still have those problems all the time no matter how hard I try.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 1:50 pm

I still would highly recommend checking out criteria for disorganized schizophrenia. It's not as bad as it sounds!

29 Dec 2007, 2:49 pm

I talked to my mother about the problem and she said it was them, not me. She said they didn't do their job right because they didn't tell me and I'm supposed to assume they're doing their jobs and it's their job to tell the employees what to do. How do I know they don't have someone else covering over in the other building, I wouldn't no that, no one would, she said. She also said people who make mistakes will try to pass it onto you because it's human nature and people blame their mistakes on other people because they don't want to admit they were at fault. She also said the same thing has happened to her when her boss never informed her of something and she get mad at her because she didn't know on her own.

I felt a lot better about myself and that there was nothing wrong with me and it wasn't me, it was the office clerk. She forgot to tell me I was in both buildings so she made it look like it was my fault. She sure did a good job. :(

But wait a minute, people with ODD blame their mistakes on other people and my mother tells me everyone does it because it's human nature? What's the difference between normal people doing it and people with ODD? Why discriminate them?

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2007, 2:55 pm

How old are you anyway?

29 Dec 2007, 3:00 pm

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2020, 12:01 pm

I always knew something was wrong some behavior problems growing up my dad always though was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.Then after my parents died got tested and found out had autism and dd which answered a whole lot of questions.