Understanding inappropriate topics of conversation

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I once asked a person in the street why is she fat? I was also fat at that time.

OMG this made me lol out loud. Thank you, Kraftie!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 6:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
that malignant overgrowth attached to your face is very becoming . this might be a backwards way of commenting on anoithers appearance . And may not be appreciated .

Matie, your left eye has fallen out of its socket.
I think you should go to the hospital.
Is this acceptable? :mrgreen:

oddly apropriate if your dealing with someone who has a phoney eyeball?
or should be written artificial eye ..... remarking on the usefullness of a eyepatch just then may have been more awkward .

where ever you go ,there you are

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 7:17 pm

Pepe wrote:
KT67 wrote:
I got in trouble with other Celtic fans for saying 'well actually [famous criminal from my home town] was a Celtic fan'. You're not meant to be honest if it makes your own side look bad.

Yes,
To many NTs, it is all about supporting "your" tribe.
To many Auties, it is about personal integrity.

We make up around 3% of the population.
Guess who makes the rules. 8O

Supporting 'your' tribe can sometimes be really dangerous too.

Sports teams is just one eg of this.

Other egs I know not to bring up cos people would get offended.

Sometimes people will also turn a blind eye to stuff when it's going on, or try to rationalise bad stuff cos of who's doing it.

I'm tribal too but only when it's petty or when I'm also sticking up for what's right. Not all the time. I'll be blunt enough to call out wrongdoing whether it's 'my' tribe or not.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 2:11 am

This person's social issues seem too severe to be fixed with friendly explanations. This person needs some social skills training.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 3:04 am

starkid wrote:
This person's social issues seem too severe to be fixed with friendly explanations. This person needs some social skills training.

Who are you talking about?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 3:31 am

KT67 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
KT67 wrote:
I got in trouble with other Celtic fans for saying 'well actually [famous criminal from my home town] was a Celtic fan'. You're not meant to be honest if it makes your own side look bad.

Yes,

Sometimes people will also turn a blind eye to stuff when it's going on, or try to rationalise bad stuff cos of who's doing it.

I'm tribal too but only when it's petty or when I'm also sticking up for what's right. Not all the time. I'll be blunt enough to call out wrongdoing whether it's 'my' tribe or not.

Like the blind partisanship in PPR?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 7:25 am

Pepe wrote:
KT67 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
KT67 wrote:

Yes,

Like the blind partisanship in PPR?

Exactly.

Old adage 'never talk about politics or religion'.

I don't think philosophy is as tribal which is why I quite like it. But how often do we have a purely philosophical conversation in PPR? A conversation about for eg, the nature of reality? Or an ethical debate which doesn't hinge upon politics? Not very often unfortunately.

When I did philosophy at sixth form, we learnt about 'a priori' thinking. I think politics & religion is prone to it. Also to hero worship - even in politics where everyone is human. And the creation of demons, even in politics where again everyone is human.

I think autistic people can be prone to it too. I know I'm pretty tribal when it comes to politics.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 9:03 pm

KT67 wrote:
starkid wrote:

The person this thread is about.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 10:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I once asked a person in the street why is she fat? I was also fat at that time.

Well...ya shoulda pointed out that you were also fat, and then...broken out into this song! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 10:05 pm

starkid wrote:

Yeah. A few hints from a few internet strangers aint gonna cut it. They need some intense support and training in social skills.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 4:08 am

There was the incident during my dad’s funeral where a cousin showed up wearing the slinkiest, shortest, sheerest black dress I’ve ever seen.

Roughly a week after dad was buried, his sister came to the house to visit mom (which, in itself, was a miracle, since dad was the black sheep of his clan, considering he married the daughter of the town drunk). They began to ratchet jowl about the attendees of the funeral.

They came to the subject of this cousin that said showed up in the slinky black dress. I eventually got into the conversation stating that said cousin “looked like a g0wd-d@mned f!cking slut.” (Turns out she actually was one.). My aunt immediately went berserk on that comment. Mom actually turned to my aunt and said “He’s absolutely right!”

Needless to say most of my relatives on dad’s side of the family never said a word to me since that time.

Ask me if I care....?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 4:38 am

starkid wrote:
KT67 wrote:
starkid wrote:

The person this thread is about.

Do you mean OP?

If so I disagree tbh.

She seems aware of her issues in this regard and cautious with language as a result.

I think a few comments from online strangers won't help but advice from friends and family on what's appropriate conversation would.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 5:18 am

Meistersinger wrote:
There was the incident during my dad’s funeral where a cousin showed up wearing the slinkiest, shortest, sheerest black dress I’ve ever seen.

Roughly a week after dad was buried, his sister came to the house to visit mom (which, in itself, was a miracle, since dad was the black sheep of his clan, considering he married the daughter of the town drunk). They began to ratchet jowl about the attendees of the funeral.

They came to the subject of this cousin that said showed up in the slinky black dress. I eventually got into the conversation stating that said cousin “looked like a g0wd-d@mned f!cking slut.” (Turns out she actually was one.). My aunt immediately went berserk on that comment. Mom actually turned to my aunt and said “He’s absolutely right!”

Needless to say most of my relatives on dad’s side of the family never said a word to me since that time.

Ask me if I care....?

Do you care? :scratch: