Treatment of High Functioning Vs Lower Functioning on W.P

Page 22 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 11:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What NorthWind put forward is not "segregation" in the strict sense.

I would advocate for what NorthWind is putting forward.

There should be subforums for so-called "low-functioning/middle-functioning" people----but other people should not be precluded from posting in these subforums. The moderation should be somewhat stricter, and the subforums should be monitored a little more closely than what is normal, in order to prevent folks who believe they are "high-functioning" from posting substance harmful to non-"high-functioning" individuals.

Strict segregation is when, say, a "high-functioning" person is told not to post at all within a subforum devoted solely to
"low-functioning" individuals.

Yes, definitely. It shouldn't be strict segregation. It should just be assured that the advice and conversations stay useful for the people the subforum is meant for.

But if it were to exist people who'd actually be affected would need to be asked what it should or should not be like. And of course lower functioning people should still be able to post about the same topics in the general autism discussion section. It'd be their choice depending on who they mainly want to talk to.
I personally wouldn't know if there's any demand for additional subfora. I just think that if there are people who'd benefit from them it'd be a good thing if they existed.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 12:02 pm

Trying hard definitely makes my anxiety worse.

The thing is, I can opt (family privilege & being on ESA) not to deal with people who don't like/hate me.

But part of me tells myself 'that's lying to yourself, go mix with someone who doesn't like you'. So when I'm feeling like that, I seek out trolls, bullies etc.

That doesn't work well for my mental health. I lack the barrier in my brain/boundaries that tells me 'that's just someone's opinion'. So if someone keeps making fun of me, I will believe them. Even now, I've been off an online space for 6 months and I still have at the back of my mind everything my trolls told me.

Better for me to work on finding nicer people to hang around with.

Of course, I only have SA. So generalised anxiety might be different. And I'm not saying 'the cure is to stay in bed all day avoiding everyone online and offline'. I'm saying 'the cure is to try hard with people who are nice'.

Reminds me of a trust exercise at school.

You were meant to fall and let people catch you.

Only I was being bullied at the time so they dropped me on purpose. :x Taught me nothing about trust.

Metaphorically, a cure for anxiety like mine is - find the people who will be prepared to catch you. And then be brave enough to fall.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 12:04 pm

I never liked that “falling” game....

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 12:07 pm

KT67 wrote:
Trying hard definitely makes my anxiety worse.

The thing is, I can opt (family privilege & being on ESA) not to deal with people who don't like/hate me.

But part of me tells myself 'that's lying to yourself, go mix with someone who doesn't like you'. So when I'm feeling like that, I seek out trolls, bullies etc.

That doesn't work well for my mental health. I lack the barrier in my brain/boundaries that tells me 'that's just someone's opinion'. So if someone keeps making fun of me, I will believe them. Even now, I've been off an online space for 6 months and I still have at the back of my mind everything my trolls told me.

Better for me to work on finding nicer people to hang around with.

Of course, I only have SA. So generalised anxiety might be different. And I'm not saying 'the cure is to stay in bed all day avoiding everyone online and offline'. I'm saying 'the cure is to try hard with people who are nice'.

Reminds me of a trust exercise at school.

You were meant to fall and let people catch you.

Only I was being bullied at the time so they dropped me on purpose. :x Taught me nothing about trust.

Metaphorically, a cure for anxiety like mine is - find the people who will be prepared to catch you. And then be brave enough to fall.

Yes, that's also true.
Trying hard in and of itself doesn't necessarily improve anything. It's important to try the right things.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 1:00 pm

Reminds me of a controversial article someone wrote "Anxiety is no excuse to be an as*hole" and it was written by someone with an anxiety disorder. Well that article didn't go well because many people were upset by it and were even attacking the OP by questioning she had anxiety. Eventually the article was deleted and I remember people were reporting it because it was seen as hate speech and ableism. I didn't read it that way, I read it more as people using their anxiety to be abusive and go "oh I have anxiety, deal with it" or using it to just be mean and hurt people with it and go "I have anxiety" or using it to just be bitchy. I am sure if a parent was hitting their kids and calling them names and saying "I have anxiety sir" to anyone who criticizes them and calls them out, no one would buy that excuse. That was how I read the article as anyway.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 3:09 pm

If you had ambitions of playing professional softball, LeagueGirl, you were probably a better than average player already. Maybe even way above average.

I was lucky if I was good enough to be a reserve on a weekend slow-pitch softball league.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 4:18 pm

Try harder?

That depends which angle I can actually brute force my way out of a wall and make it...
VS make an effort for new ways around because I cannot break the walls with sheer will of effort -- all for the same outcomes.

Really, think of it this way: in terms of learning modes.

"Trying hard" is akin to brute force intense "focus" with discipline and your personal set of tools.
While "go creative" is akin to "defuse mode" except it's more or less active than that, may require going backwards or resort to outrageous ideas, but 'take your time' works in principle.

If that still doesn't make sense...
Think progress like a maze. Each people with different settings, with different tools and abilities on their hands.

To say 'trying hard' may mean go forward, run faster, jump higher, hit harder.
While 'go creative' may mean go elsewhere other than forward hope that will progress.

In each individual, how could you know if they're hitting a wall or some dead end instead of stopping midway for no reason?
If they're dealing with an obstacle (physical/emotional/etc.)?

Some people can just smash the walls of the progress maze easy, some don't or can't and instead they just had to navigate differently.

While some people don't need a different sense of inner direction to navigate, it just happens naturally and swim forward in their point of view.
Then some don't have an inner sense of direction, likely get stuck or confused why they're drowning or trapped.

Long story short;
I'd say that "try harder" is just the half of the whole.
It happens that it's an overly emphasized half because it's straightforward, easier, linear.

The other half of said whole isn't as straightforward or as obvious. More like, 'tricky'.

I happened to lean towards 'tricky' than 'straightforward' to progress.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 4:25 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Try harder?

That depends which angle I can actually brute force my way out of a wall and make it...
VS make an effort for new ways around because I cannot break the walls with sheer will of effort -- all for the same outcomes.

Really, think of it this way: in terms of learning modes.

"Trying hard" is akin to brute force intense "focus" with discipline and your personal set of tools.
While "go creative" is akin to "defuse mode" except it's more or less active than that, may require going backwards or resort to outrageous ideas, but 'take your time' works in principle.

If that still doesn't make sense...
Think progress like a maze. Each people with different settings, with different tools and abilities on their hands.

To say 'trying hard' may mean go forward, run faster, jump higher, hit harder.
While 'go creative' may mean go elsewhere other than forward hope that will progress.

In each individual, how could you know if they're hitting a wall or some dead end instead of stopping midway for no reason?
If they're dealing with an obstacle (physical/emotional/etc.)?

Some people can just smash the walls of the progress maze easy, some don't or can't and instead they just had to navigate differently.

While some people don't need a different sense of inner direction to navigate, it just happens naturally and swim forward in their point of view.
Then some don't have an inner sense of direction, likely get stuck or confused why they're drowning or trapped.

Long story short;
I'd say that "try harder" is just the half of the whole.
It happens that it's an overly emphasized half because it's straightforward, easier, linear.

The other half of said whole isn't as straightforward or as obvious. More like, 'tricky'.

I happened to lean towards 'tricky' than 'straightforward' to progress.

Yes! I've always done better with "try different" than "try harder." I find the biggest part of problem solving is to find a route that works given the starting point of, er, being me. The normal-person route usually has one of those unclimbable walls slap bang in the middle of it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
The "try harder" stuff is harmful even for the "high functioning".
It worked for me.

Debatable. :P

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
It worked for me.
Did someone keep telling you to try harder or did you just try harder yourself?
Both, but mostly the latter -- it is ultimately up to the individual to try or to not try.

I've tried flapping my "wings" for years, but nope, still can't get up there. :mrgreen:

We all have varying strengths/limitations.
That is axiomatic. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
I think that this a very significant clarification, what works for one person may not work for another, on the contrary, it may reinforce the negative feelings of self. Many members have said that this is extremely distressing for them. It is natural for us to recommend what has helped us, sometimes it is very welcome, maybe: "I have tried.......and it helped me.........." may be an effective mode of delivery. Not a direct approach? Then advice cannot be misinterpreted as criticism.
Whatever ... my days of giving "Horatio Alger" pep-talks are over.

The mere fact that he became famous enough to warrant a Wikipedia entry shows how comparatively rare his achievements were, I would have thought. :scratch:
If the entry was labelled: "Every Tom, Dick and Harry can do this", well... 8)

Some achieve "Greatness", but, by definition, most don't/can't. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
It worked for me.
Did someone keep telling you to try harder or did you just try harder yourself?
Both, but mostly the latter -- it is ultimately up to the individual to try or to not try.
You could sit me in front of a mathematical (simple) equation and say try hard to solve it...
I used to be the same way, and then I studied the calculus text. Now I am an engineer. Amazing, is it not?

Your argument is fallacious:
"If *I* can do it, *everyone* can."
Self-evidently false. 8)

Hey, this is FUN! :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 10:03 pm

Avis: We try harder......but we’re still in second place :wink:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 12:37 am

@Fnord

I think what you are trying to communicate is that what worked for you "could" work for others.

However capacity to achieve is also determined by motivation and determination.

It can be an overwhelming effort to motivate one's self if you are not in the right frame of mind due to competing factors such as comorbidities, family and personal circumstances.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 12:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
. I am sure if a parent was hitting their kids and calling them names and saying "I have anxiety sir" to anyone who criticizes them and calls them out, no one would buy that excuse. That was how I read the article as anyway.

People who are unable to apply executive function to subdue compulsive tendencies need help especially when they are taking their anxieties out on their children.

The need for intervention is like an algorithm, as the consequences expand the urgency becomes stronger.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 12:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
@Fnord

I think what you are trying to communicate is that what worked for you "could" work for others.

It can be an overwhelming effort to motivate one's self if you are not in the right frame of mind due to competing factors such as comorbidities, family and personal circumstances.

Yup.
It isn't an even playing field.
If it were, I'd be snuggling up to Claudia Schiffer, tonight. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 1:10 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
@Fnord

Yup.
It isn't an even playing field.
If it were, I'd be snuggling up to Claudia Schiffer, tonight. 8)

It's never too late big boy!