Autism Sub-types based on comorbidity

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:15 am

Given the heterogeneity of autism, this is a very interesting research paper. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3876178/

The scientists looked at comorbid diagnoses of a group of autistic people (mostly males) and split them into four subgroups based on the results:

1. highest incidence of seizures and intellectual disability

2. highest incidence of multisystem medical disorders (infections, auditory disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, etc.) (also highest number of overall diagnoses)

3. highest incidence of psychiatric disorders (also highest rate of Asperger's syndrome)

4. no significant comorbidities

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 1:42 am

A very interesting study, thank you for posting it. It would seem I fall into group #2. I would like to dive into it more when I'm more awake.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 4:29 pm

Well, the last group simply could not be resolved into any specific category. It is also 8 times larger than the other three groups combined.

Quote:
Four subgroups were identified. The first was characterized by seizures (n = 120, subgroup prevalence 77.5%). The second (n = 197) was characterized by multisystem disorders including gastrointestinal disorders (prevalence 24.3%) and auditory disorders and infections (prevalence 87.8%), and the third was characterized by psychiatric disorders (n = 212, prevalence 33.0%). The last group (n = 4316) could not be further resolved. The prevalence of psychiatric disorders was uncorrelated with seizure activity (P = .17), but a significant correlation existed between gastrointestinal disorders and seizures (P < .001). The correlation results were replicated by using a second sample of 496 individuals from a different geographic region.

So it looks like thay have found some small sub-groups in the population, but most are not able to be categorized beyond a general diagnosis.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 5:39 pm

I definitely fit in #3. Though not dxed with them, dyspraxia and dysgraphia are at least 90% probable. Not sure where those would fit.

morri8
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2020, 7:29 am

I had lots of ear infections as child (3 times grommets)but apparently that is partly due to bad adenoid removal scars. I still get ear infections as grown up. however i dont have any other physical health problems. for the other group i tend to get SAD in winter. and generally have social anxiety etc but only really since i was a teen.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 8:01 am

Hmmm...

#1 is the ever justifiable why autism "should" be 'cured' and let's invalidate #3 for being too disabled.
#2 is the ever justifiable why autism is confusing, livable or something by lifestyle change. Wonders why treatments works but doesn't work with #1 and #3.
#3 is the ever justifiable why autism would mean a difficult life therefore should be accommodated and let's invalidate #1 for being able to pass off as nondisabled.

Where is #4? Silent majority? Unknown phenotype? :lol: Huge tangled mess of underdiagnosis? :lol:

Anyways...
I'd fall in #4.

At worst, I might be an undetected, unmonitored, and untreated #2.
Whatever #3 traits I had either fixed itself or doesn't exists to begin with.

At best #2 and #3 is more to do with hormones alone that comes and goes, than merely autism's main physical, emotional and mental vulnerabilities and issues.

Most likely never a #1. What are the odds I'd end up with seizures? :o

Still. I like the idea. :lol:
A good attempt to for a possible effective treatment and support system than the usual one size fits all. :roll:
And, who knows... If there's more to it or not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 3:14 pm

starkid wrote:
Given the heterogeneity of autism, this is a very interesting research paper. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3876178/

The scientists looked at comorbid diagnoses of a group of autistic people (mostly males) and split them into four subgroups based on the results:

1. highest incidence of seizures and intellectual disability

2. highest incidence of multisystem medical disorders (infections, auditory disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, etc.) (also highest number of overall diagnoses)

3. highest incidence of psychiatric disorders (also highest rate of Asperger's syndrome)

4. no significant comorbidities

I'd fall into Subgroup 3 I think. I guess it depends would it be only the ones that have anything to do with autism or would i also count the ones i have from trauma?