Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

HiccupHaddock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2022, 7:13 am

I'm wondering does anyone else find that their sense of humour is a bit odd?
I sometimes make jokes that my son (who is autistic) gets upset at. For example, he is on school holidays and he said he's bored, so I joked that then he would have to go back to school early, and he got very upset.
I was only joking and never meant to upset him, but now can see that he took it quite literally and felt upset at the thought.
I'm not sure if it is that he is very sensitive, or that my jokes are very insensitive.
Is this an autistic trait?
I feel a bit bad at the thought I am being insensitive to others. Perhaps I need to be more careful not to make bad jokes?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 9:07 am

Quote:
When you meet one person with Autism, you’ve met one person with Autism

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 9:12 am

For years, my flat affect when telling jokes led people to believe that I was being serious.  Then, along comes Steven Wright, and suddenly the same people accuse me of copying him!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 10:12 am

I don't understand why plenty of people act like they have to try to make a joke out of as many things as possible.

Makes me wonder if they are trying to overpower clinical depression with excessive humor attempts

Plenty of times someone is joking and I don't find it funny and I don't know it's a joke

Reikistar
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2022, 10:17 am

Mine can be ironic and a bit dark.

I don't like jokes at my expense or sarcastic jokes when someone is clearly making a 'dig' but covers it up with humour - it's passive aggressive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 11:05 am

I don't think it was an insensitive joke, your son just took it literally, which can be an autistic trait in children (most autistic adults learn to decipher what is humour and what isn't). Also I believe NT children can take things literally too, if an adult makes a joke more so than another child.

I didn't really take jokes literally when I was a child, but I didn't know how to take a joke. If other kids made jokes about my name, I'd get all angry and cry, when I think I would have been more popular if I had just laughed. They weren't meaning any harm. I have learnt to laugh now whenever somebody makes jokes about my name, or about anything. I can understand the difference between someone being mean and someone just teasing. Sometimes people gently tease you because they like you and it's just banter. I am socially skilled enough now to understand the difference.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 11:14 am

Double Retired wrote:
Quote:

A perfect response!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 11:28 am

munstead wrote:
Quote:
When you meet one person with Autism, you've met one person with Autism
A perfect response!
It has been a catch-phrase on this website for over a decade.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:00 pm

My humor is a mix of word play, dark, and borderline evil.
I like to think that I'm pretty good at judging when and where and to whom to make certain jokes, so in most cases I've not got in any trouble.

/Mats

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:23 pm

I think my sense of humor is more or less normal. I've always liked watching comedies and funny cartoons and playing humorous video games. Helps me to forget about how unfunny the real world is the rest of the time.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
munstead wrote:
Quote:
When you meet one person with Autism, you've met one person with Autism
A perfect response!
It has been a catch-phrase on this website for over a decade.

I know.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 2:56 pm

If I come up with something humorous and I don't actually execute it, it makes me feel like it's itching all over my body.
This of course often leads to inappropriate humor. :oops:
I think it's more likely due to my ADHD.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm

HiccupHaddock wrote:
I'm wondering does anyone else find that their sense of humour is a bit odd?
I sometimes make jokes that my son (who is autistic) gets upset at. For example, he is on school holidays and he said he's bored, so I joked that then he would have to go back to school early, and he got very upset.
I was only joking and never meant to upset him, but now can see that he took it quite literally and felt upset at the thought.
I'm not sure if it is that he is very sensitive, or that my jokes are very insensitive.
Is this an autistic trait?
I feel a bit bad at the thought I am being insensitive to others. Perhaps I need to be more careful not to make bad jokes?

It is well known that those on the spectrum, especially when young, do take things very literally.
I use this as the basis of many of my jokes. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:56 pm

munstead wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Quote:

A perfect response!

Really?
Can't you apply this to NTs also? :scratch:

I see it simply as a means to remind people that we are *all* individuals.
There are, however, many enlightened people in the world who seriously use stereotypes to simplify their lives. :eew:

Having said that, *all* NTs think the same and are horrible people. <joke> :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 5:57 pm

Reikistar wrote:
Mine can be ironic and a bit dark.

I don't like jokes at my expense or sarcastic jokes when someone is clearly making a 'dig' but covers it up with humour - it's passive aggressive.

I think I am in luv. :heart: :mrgreen:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 6:19 pm

I don't really have one, and I find almost nothing funny that others do. My morbid mind and words, which I don't really utilize within these words as inflection is missing, might be mistaken for such, but that's just me. I share that one with someone else, and we tend to laugh at one another, but again, it's not meant to be funny (at least for me anyway). Maybe a coping mechanism, as I've seen it before with others. Much like "nervous laughter". It's usually directed at myself. I tend to laugh at myself, mistakes I make, how certain things really bother me and afterwards I see how silly it all was, and so on.

I'll laugh along with people making jokes about me too, even mean spirited ones (growing up and schooling), as it's easier that way. I don't really get offended. I don't like people making cruel jokes about others, and I won't let those slide.