Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

camembert
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2007, 7:33 am

I've not heard of the term half-aspie or semi-aspie in any medical criteria. I doubt a psychologist would diagnose someone with this medical label.
I have asperger syndrome, but i can function quite well and live independently.
I wouldn't say i was an aspie as i would find this patronising, as for semi-aspie, in my case, yeah right.

HelloHello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2007, 8:15 am

1Oryx2 wrote:
Are we talking 'half-breeds'? It's possible, I guess.

HAHAHAAHA, holy hell the timing of that had me LMFAO.

HelloHello
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2007, 8:22 am

foaminsulation wrote:
"Aspie" is a definition created by over-privileged white people (really, though, no poor people with AS, am i wrong?) don't let it confine you. more importantly, don't 'try' to have AS. i've been both fighting and embracing my autistic tendencies as a mere blip on an infinite spectrum for awhile now.

Actually he has a very real point here and it is especially true with the level of misdiagnoses around. I wouldn't say rich, but middle class would be better.

Moreover, i can't believe the level of elitism here; you're behaving like a bunch of NTs! I don't know about the terminology or the medical diagnosis because it is hotly debated, you can't merely say you have Aspergers because you have been diagnosied. No one is an Apergers case study before they are a human being. For example, there is often not a lot of difference between those people with social anxiety disorders and the average Aspie. You are you and you have some Aspergian features. I can't stand the amount of elitism regarding diagnosis that goes on on this website.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 8:28 am

According to Tony Attwood to be diagnosed with aspergers you have to fill 80% of the criteria. Others can have perhaps 60% of the criteria but are not aspie.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 11:35 am

HelloHello wrote:
foaminsulation wrote:
"Aspie" is a definition created by over-privileged white people (really, though, no poor people with AS, am i wrong?) don't let it confine you. more importantly, don't 'try' to have AS. i've been both fighting and embracing my autistic tendencies as a mere blip on an infinite spectrum for awhile now.

Actually he has a very real point here and it is especially true with the level of misdiagnoses around. I wouldn't say rich, but middle class would be better.

Moreover, i can't believe the level of elitism here; you're behaving like a bunch of NTs! I don't know about the terminology or the medical diagnosis because it is hotly debated, you can't merely say you have Asperger's because you have been diagnosed. No one is an Asperger's case study before they are a human being. For example, there is often not a lot of difference between those people with social anxiety disorders and the average Aspie. You are you and you have some Aspergian features. I can't stand the amount of elitism regarding diagnosis that goes on on this website.

again, I say, there are thousands of AS folks not represented as diagnosed nor on this forum. You have to have access TO and expertise OF being on this forum, you know. Some folks don't have Internet access, and some others have no clue as to using a computer. You see these folks on highway entrance ramps desperately trying to get someplace else.
Why do I think some of these people are Autistic or Asperger's Syndrome? Because that was ME out there not so very long ago, not having a clue why I couldn't keep a job, or relate to folks longer than a 3 hour drive to someplace else in the world to find a place to 'fit in'.

They will never see the inside of a psychologist's office let alone become diagnosed and given help to cope with life. I have scrabbled and clawed my own way up to just be able to post regularly in this forum, and this is probably all the 'therapy' I will ever receive for my AS.

So maybe it is the overpriviledged that is given the diagnosis.

Merle

aspiebegood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2007, 3:30 pm

The answer is no.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 4:16 am

Stellian wrote:
gekitsu wrote:
i think through being individuals - unconnected beings, only oneself, not anyone else - all people basically run on "autistic hardware". so, i basically dont wonder that aspie-ish traits seem to turn up in quite a few people.

I agree with that. They say autistics think they way they do because they think at a lower level. We see details better, but miss the big picture; we see body gestures, but don't get their meaning; we perceive a lot of sensory stimuly, and we get affected by it because we can't do filtering, which is a high-level procedure. That also explains some savant abilities, like enhanced memory and the like.

So basically, NTs have the necessary software to filter out things and give them more abstract meanings, and to ignore seemingly unimportant details. It makes a lot of sense. We think in C or Assembler, they think in Visual Basic.

id not view is as much as an inherently flawed position (from the software point of view) we are in.
those omnipresent social undercurrents arent something that is there in the raw, preprocessed sensory data - they are a construction based on the data, done by each individual. its in the same way a construction as imposing patterns of cause and effect is a subjective construction or gestalt theory observations (which construct a simplified visual picture by reducing some things, grouping other things together, etcetera).
so, id rather say that we run on a more strict kind of software - we are unconnected individuals and run that way. nt behaviour somehow is like networking software on unconnected computers, sounds just like something microsoft could do ;)

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 7:32 am

richardbenson wrote:
i talk to well so thats probably why they didnt diagnose me with fullblown autism
Yeah, I think that's why I was under the radar for so long before finally getting official diagnosis of autism. I don't query that diagnosis as I'm fully satisfied that the psychiatrist was well qualified and that I fitted enough DSM criteria to be Asperger's.

But that does NOT mean I think I am superior to others, no matter what anybody says about elitism. It's more a matter of trying to find an identity after years of not knowing.
It's not a nice feeling to think that you don't belong anywhere and are somehow cut off from the rest of the world.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 2:04 am

sinsboldly wrote:
HelloHello wrote:
foaminsulation wrote:

Moreover, i can't believe the level of elitism here; you're behaving like a bunch of NTs! I don't know about the terminology or the medical diagnosis because it is hotly debated, you can't merely say you have Asperger's because you have been diagnosed. No one is an Asperger's case study before they are a human being. For example, there is often not a lot of difference between those people with social anxiety disorders and the average Aspie. You are you and you have some Aspergian features. I can't stand the amount of elitism regarding diagnosis that goes on on this website.

again, I say, there are thousands of AS folks not represented as diagnosed nor on this forum. You have to have access TO and expertise OF being on this forum, you know. Some folks don't have Internet access, and some others have no clue as to using a computer. You see these folks on highway entrance ramps desperately trying to get someplace else.
Why do I think some of these people are Autistic or Asperger's Syndrome? Because that was ME out there not so very long ago, not having a clue why I couldn't keep a job, or relate to folks longer than a 3 hour drive to someplace else in the world to find a place to 'fit in'.

They will never see the inside of a psychologist's office let alone become diagnosed and given help to cope with life. I have scrabbled and clawed my own way up to just be able to post regularly in this forum, and this is probably all the 'therapy' I will ever receive for my AS.

So maybe it is the overpriviledged that is given the diagnosis.

Merle

Makes me kind of curious about something. What is the dividing line between Asperger's Syndrome and classical autism?

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 9:21 pm

I can picture a counselor or psychiatrist saying "mild asperger's syndrome" or "mildly affected asperger's syndrome" or "a mild case of asperger's syndrome." It is a spectrum disorder afterall.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 10:52 pm

I don't think there are any semi-aspies. Maybe ppl with some of the characteristics, but if they don't have problems socially, then i would say no.

HereComesTheRain
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2007, 1:08 pm

I think there is already a name for people that are "Half Aspie". They're called "Introverts".

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 1:42 pm

Both my parents have a few traits of AS, most people do. I would say they are a bit more on the quirky side of normal, but not AS. A lot of people have some AS traits as well as NT, but it doesn't mean they have AS.