Books for being a better communicator?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2021, 1:06 am

Does anyone here have any recommendations for books on being a better communicator? I was told by my Mother that I do not communicate effectively at all. I am not sure if I am on the spectrum or not. I do have Schizophrenia, however. And Social Phobia. Thanks in advance.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2021, 8:40 am

You might consider Toastmasters a group that helps each other with public speaking. You might find a small group that encourages each other and can give useful feedback in regard to communication.

Drolo
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2021, 5:07 am

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2021, 5:08 am

If you want to challenge yourself then try "Public Speaking for Success" by Dale Carnegie

irreversibility
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2021, 7:01 am

avdpeas wrote:
Does anyone here have any recommendations for books on being a better communicator? I was told by my Mother that I do not communicate effectively at all. I am not sure if I am on the spectrum or not. I do have Schizophrenia, however. And Social Phobia. Thanks in advance.

Your Mom has given you rather vague feedback. In what situations do you want to improve communication? What information are you not conveying? How would things improve if you were a better communicator?

Previous posters have given good advice. 'How to win friends, ...' will teach you how to do 'first impressions' and get to know people. I'm a member of a Toastmasters club and it has majorly improved how I speak and put my thoughts in order. I have not read the other Dale C. book. Good Luck!

IR

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2021, 9:53 am

I can think of only one such book...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2021, 9:20 pm

Drolo wrote:
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

I've read that book. It's a very good book. There's also a book titled "What To Say After You Say Hello." that was written around the same time. There's another book that's titled, "How To Talk To Anyone About Anything."

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2021, 8:45 am

"The Elements of Style" (in writing) by Strunk and White

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2021, 1:21 am

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Except for Fnord, who was being either facetious, genuine, or downright derisive...can't tell just from the post.