Best types of food for people with autism

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 1:31 am

Fruits, vegetables and meats are the best foods for people on the spectrum.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 7:16 am

Like everyone else, eat a balanced diet. Meat, vegitables, fruit, and some carbs.

I dont see how being autistic would make a difference. A balanced diet for you as a human, is the same as a balanced diet for you as an autistic afaik .

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 7:48 am

NeilM wrote:
KitLily, I am in a situation very similar to you. I am now down to chicken and fish and some vegetarian meals.

I eliminated sugar from my diet back in the 1980s when my hypoglycemia got worse. Just after Y2K, I got so I couldn't digest eggs any longer (gave me a rash) so they were gone. A couple of years ago, I got so eating beef and pork made me physically ill with fever and muscle stiffness; that was it for them.

Now I my rotation for suppers are chicken, vegetarian, fish, vegetarian in an effort to get enough variety in my diet. But I am doing quite well this way I have to say.

Regarding foods and anxiety, I do seem to recall becoming somewhat less anxiety ridden when I stopped caffeine back in the early 1990s. But its been so long since I gave up sugary stuff that I don't remember just what my anxiety level was before. On the other hand, I have found that WalMart's house brand Great Value Yogurt actually diminishes my anxiety somewhat. Ymmv of course but that was my experience.

That is interesting Neil M. I too have hypoglycaemia, I have stopped going out of my home because I just don't know when a sugar low will strike and I have to take all my food and drink with me as I can't guarantee suitable food and drink if I go out. I also have low energy and can't suddenly go on a walk or something as it makes me ill. I've been tested for diabetes but apparently nothing showed up *shrugs*

Your supper rotation sounds really good! I basically eat vegetables, fish, meat, fruit in that order. I had to add gluten free grains like millet and quinoa though as I was running out of energy. It's a very simple diet but there is A LOT of preparation involved. Hence why I stay at home, which is actually convenient during a pandemic. lol.

I have a great recipe for buckwheat crackers if you want it? Very easy to make and convenient for when you just need something quick to pop in your mouth but haven't time or energy to cook something.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:39 pm

I think recent science research has disclosed the gut-brain axis as pivotal in the formation of autistic behaviors. So basically, the anti gluten proponents were right all along.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 9:15 pm

I'm not an expert but from my reading I believe that if a person develops GI issues such as gluten intolerance, this may allow toxins into the bloodstream and create inflammatory conditions. This can affect the brain, worsening autistic behaviours. GI issues might also affect levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin which may be linked to anxiety and depression.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 9:43 pm

I agree with everything that others have posted.

Caffeine is a stimulant, so bad for anxiety. Energy drinks generally full of stimulants so bad for anxiety.
Alcohol also can cause major problems for people with Anxiety, as well as causing depression.

People dependent on Alcohol often end up with a alcohol and substance abuse bi-polar,
which really is a alcohol and substance abuse disorder.

Some types of strong Cheese can cause anxiety too! Although some cheese before going to sleep can give you some really interesting and vivid dreams.

I also recommend that if you want to help yourself, try your best to drink 2 - 3 litres of water a day.
As human beings are mostly made of water, and people who don't drink water, who drink coffee and alcohol often end up permanently dehydrated.

Previously i have had a tendency to be like that, and over the years, have occasionally broken away from my habitual pattern to be pleasantly surprised at how much better I feel when drinking that much water.

In the past i also have had the tendency to lose a lot of water due to intense exercise, which would also have contributed to my dehydration.

Water Water Water!! !
B vitamins
Omega 3

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 10:11 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
B vitamins
Omega 3

Yeah, these too.
I take a fish oil capsule every day and B vitamin complex when I'm feeling stressed.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 10:20 am

I totally agree about the gut-brain. They are finding out more and more about how the gut affects the brain and virtually controls it. Apparently more nerves run from the gut *to* the brain than the other way round. So the old sayings about getting 'a gut feeling' must be correct.

I consume things like kefir, kombucha and sauerkraut to help my gut fight the bad guys i.e. bacteria. I'm sure people in the past consumed a lot more cultured foods like this to populate their guts with good bacteria but maybe now we are too sterilised and sterile, and our guts are suffering.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 12:49 pm

You could try the Paleo diet, that one is also gluten and casein free.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 10:10 am

Best food for me are: green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, fish and shellfish, eggs, tofu and meat. It's fortunate that I love them, too and am a good cook. I only drink water, no tea or coffee. That's fine for me as I'm never tired anyway.

Worst food for me: cheap junk food like packaged cookies that cost less than $2, twizzlers, brightly colored candies. The only junk food I will eat is chocolate, and they have to be Swiss or Belgian. I don't try to be fancy, but my stomach just can't digest cheap stuff. :( Last week I made a batch of chocolate oatmeal muffins from a store bought mix. I ate one while it's hot and crunchy, my stomach just turned into a pool of acid instantly. It doesn't do that when I make the same muffins from scratch. I guess I'm doomed to slave in front of a stove, making things from scratch like my mom and grandma did.

What's good for you (OP) can be very individual. I would just try to eat a wide variety of stuff instead of following fads or those thousands of health tips circulating around.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 10:55 am

I know what y-pod means. I can't take cheap food or additives, I have to be very careful how many additives I eat in a day e.g. if I have crisps I can't have bread in one day. I'm getting more and more sensitive, it's getting harder and harder to find things to eat. I can only eat the purest, freshest foods, otherwise I am sick and unwell for days. It's very inconvenient having to cook everything from scratch.

FiruthiDragovic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jan 2021, 6:54 pm

I used to eat a lot more vegetables - mainly broccoli and brussels sprouts. Then I tried to diet and overdid it on fiber bars, and wound up in the emergency room. Since that point, I've found I can't handle more than one or two servings a day of vegetables without eventually having serious gas problems.

And unfortunately the gas pains are a significant source of my behavior and anxiety issues.

On the flip side, it turns out dairy doesn't affect me all that much. So it's a lot of meat (I count eggs in that figure) and dairy, small amounts of bread (I actually won't touch whole-wheat as it's a fiber issue for me) and vegetables. Sugar is to be avoided as a general rule, mainly because no one sells individual candies where I am - I do not have the restraint to make big packs last more than 3 days and that is DEFINITELY too much sugar for my body to handle. (Sugar-free actually causes me gas pains in that quantity so those are out.)

Caffeine.... diet soda actually turns out to be a morning mainstay on weekdays. Iffy on weekends. I can't stand the taste of coffee and the last time I had an energy drink (I go low-carb on these, always) I wound up so strung out I eventually had a meltdown. I see energy drinks as a REAL emergency thing like if I absolutely must stay up WELL past bedtime.

I mainly don't touch alcohol because of aforementioned lack of restraint.

Caroline20
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 7:05 pm

My parents want me and my siblings to be super skinny and are only allowing adults to be overweight. I don't miss being skinny, I don't wanna be skinny, I hated it. I'm glad I'm not skinny. My parents throw insults at me and my siblings like: slob, pig and dummy.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 7:27 pm

your parents probably shouldn't be calling you names
but instead trying to help you reach and maintain your optimum weight

i can understand as a kind of parent and a sport coach the issues with weight
calling names isn't the answer, as doing so is simply bullying

but perhaps trying to get the kids to make the right choices about food
can really help

if anything, my parents were really liberal and soft about what food i ate as a kid
although when i got to 12 or 13 i started to be pretty sensible on my own as i
was serious about training in karate, and the best way for me to get good
was to eat the right healthy diet

in long term
i think it is good to get into the right lifestyle
as if you can get that cracked at an early age

then it will help you all through your life

although keep in mind
being too skinny is as bad as being too obese

people die of anorexia as well as health problems related to obesity
i always am saddened when i see a beautiful young girl who has anorexia

as like i say, often they are really beautiful, if only they could see what I can
(from an adult humanitarian perspective)
they would realise that they do not need to diet
if they look perfect already

(perfect doesn't mean artificially perfect like most models and celebrities,
who for the most part have had plastic surgery)..

but perfect human forms

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 7:39 pm

Caffeine is not a good idea if you already have anxiety . Anything that reduces inflammation is a good thing to eat.
Used to not have a appetite but did notice significant reductions in long
term energy levels . . A over the counter amino acid called tyryptophan . ( excuse spelling) helped with sleep a lot
But am having the hardest time with caffeine myself . :(

where ever you go ,there you are